1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nukes, discuss

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Thunderpants, May 28, 2005.

1. Thunderpants

Thunderpants Chieftain

Nukes = fun !, i think the satisfaction of wiping an entire civ away in 1 turn is the best . what do you guys think?

2. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Welcome to CFC! [party]

I don't like nukes. And they are too dirty.

And you can't wipe out civs with it - just their units. You still need a horseman to kill them.

3. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

I like nukes, but the problem is that they are poluting. I tried to mod it so desert degrades to coast, but if failed. Problem with using nukes is that everyone retaliates.

4. Own

Own Grasshoppah

Fun, but not best strategy.

5. Thunderpants

Thunderpants Chieftain

Yes, they are dirty, but if you follow up with a helicopter with some units its a quick end. Sometimes it feels like cheating ! Why do the other civs declare on you anyway should they not become worried you will come after them ?

6. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

To prevent you from nuking a nation, capturing it, and then move to another and repeat the procedure.

Conquering a nation in that age won't affect your game very much. If you get that far, just build the parts.

7. vmxa

vmxa Deity

It is believed that the use of nukes is evil and so the game is set up to declare on anyone using them. It is just a convention.

Nukes come too late in the game to be useful. If they were used, it would be a real pain to deal with the global warming.

It is true that you cannot eliminate a civ with nukes, but you can drop cities down to size one, making the task a lot easier.

8. cheesecurds

cheesecurds Chieftain

unless you play regicide and nuke their capital a couple times :evil:

9. Thunderpants

Thunderpants Chieftain

i dont use reg. rules as i think that wiping out a race by killing a key character kills the point of building your civ. But i do think that they are useful to use as my style of play is to have three main ways when i play one with horsemen, knights then tech up for the big melt down !

Coming back to the question i have always thought , that after using these to wipe out a civ why would a less devloped civ declare on me ? im not sure it makes sense ai gone mad? :confused: would it not make more sense to get on their side? :confused:

10. vmxa

vmxa Deity

It is not about making sense, it is about a game convention. It is meant as a govenor on the use of nukes. AI controlled civs know they will get dog piled, if they use them.

Everyone holds back for that reason. It of course still occurs, but you can play and see several with nukes and be in a war and not use them.

11. Me-262

Me-262 playing my guitar loud

It is all up to the player to use the nukes.So if i am left with just one civ left then i will use them.It is a fast( but messy) way to win a war.Also has the AI been the first to launch nukes against any one.

12. Stylesjl

Stylesjl SOS Brigade Member

i had this losing AI launch a nuke, but that ended up with everyone else retaliating causing his faster destruction.

Luckily while the nukes were firing i was not involved in any wars

13. VladTepes

VladTepes Clown Prince of Wallachia

I'm getting a little verklempt....talk amongst yourselves....I'll give you a topic...nuclear is neither new nor clear, discuss.

Sorry...just popped into my head with the thread title.... :mischief: :crazyeye: :D

14. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

I hate nukes! :nuke:

They ruin the game imo, and AI have used ICBM against me without provocation :sad:

15. Cruelsader

Cruelsader Chieftain

Sure, and nuclear fission sounds a bit like "new clear vision" - describes well a breakthorugh in science. However, I am sure this similarity has noted before...

16. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

I don't use nukes in regular games. Used a few in WWII in the pacific scenario though.

17. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

I don't use them myself usually, and the AI seems to hardly ever use them either, unless they're REALLY in trouble (which kinda doesn't make sense, as this just quickens their destruction... it'd make more sense if they used their nukes at the height of their power...). When I'm finished with my Space Race games though, my brother often likes to reload the final save just for the sake of launching every single nuke I have against the AI (and I sometimes have in excess of a hundred!!!). :crazyeye: :lol:

18. Thunderpants

Thunderpants Chieftain

is there anyone out there with a screen shot of the most nukes about to be used that would be an interesting comp ?

19. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

I don't think it's possible to get a screenshot of that, dude... nukes always appear underneath the city (or submarine) they're in, so you can't actually view them in a screenshot. ;)

20. Mordack

Mordack Increase the Deceased

I found an effective use for nukes recently

I couldn't build the SS fuel cells because I had no uranium - went for the domination win instead

I had the 66% area but a little short on pop

nuked 4 or 5 of the closest AI's largest cities and it was enough to push me over the top

all of the others declared on me but didn't matter as I won the next turn

...Otherwise I don't use them