Nukes!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by MattfromCiv, Mar 3, 2011.

1. MattfromCiv

MattfromCiv Chieftain

Last night i played the first civ5 multiplayer game where i got to future tech. I was making a space shuttle and had half the peices made. I had focused on mostly 4 cities, but took 8 more once I had modern armour. After this it was just me and one other player, with him going for a culture victory and needing only one more and the utopia project. Knowing i doubled his army I send my lvl 5 modern armours and rocket arty in.

HOLY NUKES BATMAN.

Is there anything you can do about this? I mean when he nuked my grouped up high level units that was my fault, but the 10 other nukes he dropped in the next 15 turns off of 2 uranium was ********. There was no possible defense? He nuked my original 4 cities twice each. All were over 20 population and dropped to under 10 after the first nuke. He ended up winning 3 turns before I could launch my shuttle! Very interesting game and love this post patch tall empire support.

But really, is there anyway to stop such an onslaught on nukes? I just remember bunkers and missile defense in civ 4.

2. ColinTH

ColinTH Prince

Tough luck on your game ending, you must have been gutted!

I never use mods but if there is a mod out there that bans the use of nukes, I might just consider using it.

3. MattfromCiv

MattfromCiv Chieftain

I dont use mods either, just trying to determine if im missing something. Or is it a nuke eat nuke world?

4. CossackProblem

CossackProblem Warlord

Well, it does reflect the nature of modern warfare. Did you not carry nukes? I would think a guy looking for a culture win would be hesitant to start a nuclear war lest the victory be based on who has the prettiest pile of rubble. I also think this kind of scenario, where your only options appear to be either war or peace, speaks to the fact that Civ4 had far more interesting routes for when these issues came up (espionage and economic subterfuge through the use of corporations, as two examples).

5. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Its your own fault for not having nukes to retaliate with in case he struck u with them.

I'm not sure but I think I saw few posts in here forum saying that nuclear missles can now completely destroy cities if they hit them often enough 3-5 times? Although I bet Capitols are exempt from that rule.

Personally I think u got off light xD

Try to have plenty of production centers spread out if you're a big empire so you cannot be alpha striked in single turn.

Naw, I believe there's no counters to nukes to my best of knowledge in civ 5 atm.

In case you didn't know, fallout costs 2 movement to move through, basically u could use the nukes to create terrain taht's really difficult to move through to slow down the incoming enemies to make it easier on you to handle em xD

I've pulled that stunt before in deserts to slow down the arabian horde.

6. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Depleting Uranium is the *ONLY* solution to this inevitable happy trigger fest.
    It can modded rather easily - but i don't want it that way.

The vanilla gameplay has everything it takes to even apply such ruleset already.
    Clicking Terraforming on my sig below will make it all the more clearer for more reasons than i could try to explain or justify here.

Fossil fuel also turns into CO² and while i can understand a Battleship can be sunk - the metal & Aluminum heads straight to the bottom of the sea, btw.

Yep, perpetual strategic resources - pure magic.
    Horses breed. Iron rusts. Wood burns.

FIraXis that too, my dear devs & designers.

7. ColinTH

ColinTH Prince

Thanks - ROFLMAO

8. builer680

builer680 eats too much Taco Bell

This is how you're supposed to use nukes in this game.

9. ColinTH

ColinTH Prince

LOL - yes very clever and a very entertaining thread.