1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Number of city defenders

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ianfuture, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Samvs Avrelivs

Samvs Avrelivs Chieftain

Depends really I guess.

When I'm playing on noble I usually have one or two units on a city, usually something like Archers or Machine Guns or something meant to defend.

Recently as I've been on higher difficulties I've been using 3-6 units. Usually a few meant to defend and then a melee unit or two as well.
    (Not that I'm winning on these difficulties :sad:
    But I haven't lost a city yet!)

Of course it changes based on where the cities are.
    I remember in one game I played my capital was in no danger what so ever, and even when I was warring against four other civs at once, I didn't have a single unit on my capital, but I had like 10 on border cities.

As for eras, it's usually the same for all of them. >.>
    Maybe less in the later eras just cause I have more out conquering at that moment.

2. Kullervo

Kullervo Mahler/Sibelius Freak

If you have religion early and manage to spread it to the nearest neighbors, then with a pretty simple strategy you can win with barely any defense. The strategy is pretty simple: do not excrete where you live. In translation, attack civs far away, and do unto others before they do unto you. In other words, attack first and attack far away. For this purpose, plan far ahead and keep a large army just out of sight of enemy borders.

I played a game as Louis where I had just 4 defending units to a whopping 8 original cities and 23 captured ones. I won in a landslide dipplo victory, then just for fun I won by culture, conquest, and domination. All with no more than 4 specified defense units.

It is no coincidence that for that game, I named myself 'Louis Cyphere'. :D:devil: 10 points if you get the joke, 20 points if you can name where I got it from.

3. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

The best defense is a good offense. Like Germanicus, I like to cross the border randomly and wipeout nearby cities and develope deep territory. I only have one or two defenders per city, with some mobile reinforcements available, but aggression usually pays for itself.

4. Patak

Patak Warlord

Could not agree more. Usually I have 2 defenders per city. The only exemtion are the cities that might be attacked by the enemy (AI always goes for one of your cities), so if you figure out which city that is this is whare I put 6+ defenders. The worest AI is Muhamed which shows up next to your city with a 50+ stack. This is where your siege units kick in. And than knight rush.

5. kristopherb

kristopherb Protective/Charismatic

I play on continents this may not seem like any change in tactics but if a stack comes in ships the ships can be intercepted and if the stack lands you can kill and cut off stacks without worrying about reinforcements.
    When i play churchill I have Citygar3 drill 1 city defenders in every city (i ship them over) and 2-3 in my core cities though i hardly protect my border cities this means i can deal with the odd maurding unit not a huge stack.

6. cracked

cracked Wierdo.

I've been playing medium and small maps, set to extreme random settings. As such, any one of my cities is liable to attack from the ocean. The problem with diplomacy is that, when you wage war on someone, some of those civs are inclined to back stab you, even when they're pleased with you. Others will attack simply because they spot a weak point and think they can exploit it.

Generally speaking, civs won't demand tribute if you are stronger than they are (this makes diplomacy much easier). Mostly, they won't declare war if you have a higher power rating. But, there is always the possibility they will.

Once you have railroad, having three garrisoned troops and 10 cavalry with 5 seige to respond to flashpoints is like having a stack of thirty infantry and ten cavalry and five artullery defending that territory (works out at about 45 units). typically, even if the AI mounts a decent offense, you can frustrate that pretty quickly. The infantry is already there (just 'cos it's garrisoned doesn't mean it has to stay as much. Static garrisons? I don't really get what you mean?), as is the cavalry. Knock some artillery out or if you have radio and flight bomb them first.

Though as I've said, the AI rarely tries it.

7. Yonez

Yonez Chieftain

I've had to restart far too many games because I've left a single warrior in a city that just ends up gettings whumped by a neighbour. Heck, I've even avoided connecting up copper or iron for a while so I can build warriors for longer just to get a single cheap unit in new cities. I tend to avoid archery for God knows how many years too. I just can't bring myself to research and build defensive units instead of shiny new economy/science stuff!

8. Kullervo

Kullervo Mahler/Sibelius Freak

Agree 100%. But on higher levels, especially on Deity, you can't afford not to have archery at least. Heck, one time one of my archers (citygar3 on a hill with a 60% culture bonus) defeated a grenadier. On DEITY! where it isn't uncommon for odds of 18.0 vs. 11.0 to end in your defeat. So Archery is pretty much unavoidable.

On lower lvls, I tend to streamline Theology for the civic, and wage war. Archery there I don't need, since I do one of the following:
    a) whup someone's hindquarters and extort archery from them.
    b) get it from a tribal vllage (rare)
    c) trade it for something else from another civ.

But like I said before, sometimes you don't even need defense at all, if you are on good terms with the neighbors (exception: Monty and Nappy, both of whom are happy to declare on you even if you are pleased or friendly with them and don't have any minuses in the relations).

9. Patak

Patak Warlord

I like early archers. While the barbarians are raging arround your territory you can get them all upgraded to city defender III wiht no risk, which makes them excellent unit to upgrade till the mech inf. Warriors are a waste for me because in the early game i can not afford 160 gold to upgrade them to axe.

10. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

I agree. Overgarrisoning your cities is a great way to waste hammers and coins. I wouldn't leave a city with a single defender on a border of a hostile neighbor, but generally the AI cares more about your total military power than it does about your local military power. If you're spending money on an army, take it out and use it against somebody. People that are keeping 4-6 defenders in every city are doing, as xchen08 notes, exactly what the AI does - starving a potentially powerful attacking force of necessary bodies in order to protect the homeland.

11. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

I agree that leaving static garrisons is "wasteful" but if you are not going to declare war anytime in the near future but want to keep military builds coming for power or whatever (HE city) you got to put them somewhere...you can always martial your forces to the front once the offensive is in full force. As mentioned before having extra garrison troops on the border means having a ready supply for captured cities and then your core cities can replenish the close cities if necessary.

Once you have the core stack that can take a city or two whether reinforcements are freshly built or sent from frontier cities isn't that big a deal - just don't send too many from the other side of the empire from where your SoD is unless you can quick-build or quick-transport reinforcements somehow.