1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Number of Civs vs City-States balance

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by sourdiesel, Jul 28, 2013.

1. sourdiesel

sourdiesel Warlord

On my 4th BNW game now and I'm experimenting with have an equal number of Civs and CS. I play on small maps so instead of 6/12 I'm going to try 8/8 and see how that works out. Maybe it's because I am still used to Civ4 but I found the number of CS to be overwhelming in the first few CiV games I've played. Just wondering if anyone else tweaks the balance or leaves it on default?

2. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

I'm finding (just like Vanilla and G&K) that the default ratio of 2:1 is rather high. (I wanted to re-test this in BNW) In my next game, I'll knock it back to 1:1 like normal.

3. Byzantine Bomb

Byzantine Bomb Warlord

1:1 works well for me, gives civs room to expand as opposed to having to conquer city states frequently.

4. Yzman

Yzman Deity

The default seems fine to me, it never seems like anyone is too crunched for space with the default settings.

5. livsbrand

livsbrand Warlord

I play 3:2 CS to civs and I like it just fine.

6. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

I feel I need to add actually a few civs (and take a few city states off the map) as AI play better tall, having more tall civs leads to a more competitive game

7. Tibbz

Tibbz Chieftain

I usually do standard but 8 civs with 10 city states. I also found that the default 16 is pretty overwhelming.