1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Number of spies too restricted?

Discussion in 'Communitas Expansion Pack' started by Tomice, Jan 28, 2014.

1. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

Another thing with spies is there is still the randomness of some outcomes.

My third tier spy acting as a counter-intelligence agent in a city with all the anti-spy buildings and policies will still sometimes fail to stop an enemy spy from stealing my tech.

This sort of thing can't happen with combat units. You will never see a spearman walk up to a dragoon and roll a D20 die, get the right number and dispatch that dragoon! Though there still may be an element of randomness in combat the outcomes are never all or nothing.

Every way you look at the spying mechanic it looks too much like a late idea tack on by Firaxis rather than a fully formulated mechanic.

2. EricB

EricB Prince

In my mind Firaxis did a really poor job designing this game. It's why the vanilla game is nearly unplayable. So many things in the vanilla game are useless while other things are must-haves. Back when GEM broke I was devastated because I just can't play the vanilla game. I had just quit playing it about a month after getting it when I learned about this mod and gave it another shot. Without the Communitas mods the game would have stopped being played a long time ago.

3. Myrion

Myrion Chieftain

The real trouble with spies is that their number doesn't depend on the number of Civs in the game. On a duel map you can influence anything you want, if you play with 21 Civs you can hardly do anything. Sure, most players stick with somewhere from 8-12 Civs, for which the amount of spies seems apropiate, but shouldn't it be possible to play a balanced game of espionage outside those numbers?

4. lockstep

lockstep Prince

At least for the unmodded game, this is incorrect for the most part: Everyone receives a single spy as soon as the first player hits the Renaissance era, but additional spies are granted depending on one's own era advancement. (The exception for the first spy probably was introduced to allow defending against foreign spies.)