Numidians upgrade to a weaker unit?

jonnyincognito

Chieftain
Hey all,

I was just looking over some of the UU's available with certain Civs and trying to figure out what I might like to try next. I saw that the Numidians upgrade to pikemen, but why would you want to? Numidians are 2.3.1, and Pikemen are 1.3.1. Concidering you get Numidians an age earlier, why would you want to upgrade to pikemen??? Just seemed a bit odd to me thats all...

Joshua

Ah, that would make more sense...well, Julian Egelstaff needs to correct his file then :) I'll check it at home tonight to be sure...

Actually there is a unit that downgrades. For the Dutch, Muskets (4, 2, 1) "upgrade" to Swiss Mercenaries (4, 1, 1). It really doesn't affect play that much, I doubt anyone would even think about attacking with a Musket in the first place, I just thought it was cool.

Who knows, maybe you get a refund when you upgrade. :)

One could argue that Hwatch'a to Artillery is a downgrade. They have the same bombard (?) and the Hwatcha has lethal bombard. Of course, artillery has a higher range.

gunkulator said:
Swiss Mercs upgrade to Muskets, not the other way around. Of course, who would bother.
They do. Next time you play as the Dutch check the Civopedia to see the upgrade path. I was surprised when I saw it.

In the editor, Numidian Mercenaries upgrade to pikemen. However, Carthage cannot build pikemen, so the upgrade does not actually occur, and they really upgrade to musketmen. They have some seemingly strange upgrades to make the upgrades work properly.

You don't get a refund when "upgrading" musketmen to swiss mercenaries. It's designed so you can build musketmen if you have saltpeter but no iron, but you will bulid swiss mercenaries if you have iron even after gunpowder.

Hwach'a only have lethal bombard in C3C.

To add to the list of questionable upgrades: gallics to medieval infantry. One extra attack at the expense of loss of extra movement *and* retreat capability. I'd rather have the gallics, TYVM.

Renata

Renata said:
Hwach'a only have lethal bombard in C3C.

:confused: If Hwach'as only have leathal bombard in Conquests, how can you trigger a Golden Age in Play the World? Don't you need to kill a unit in order to trigger it?

Legionaries to Medieval Infantry is another questionable one. You lose one defense and gain one attack and have to pay for it.

Nods, all goog information, thanks guys. I'm definately going to have to watch what I upgrade to...hard lesson learned the easy way :)

Joshua

geonnyboy said:
:confused: If Hwach'as only have leathal bombard in Conquests, how can you trigger a Golden Age in Play the World? Don't you need to kill a unit in order to trigger it?

You can't trigger a Golden Age through combat with Korea in PTW. The only way PTW Korea gets a Golden Age is by building or capturing the appropriate wonders.

Tomoyo said:
One could argue that Hwatch'a to Artillery is a downgrade. They have the same bombard (?) and the Hwatcha has lethal bombard. Of course, artillery has a higher range.

Artillery also has twice the rate of fire making them much better than cannons and Hwatch'as.

Top Bottom