Nvidia driver 81.94 = GOOD!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by narmox, Nov 15, 2005.

1. narmox

narmox Emperor

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Previously I was using 77.77 as 81.85 was very bad.

I tried 81.94 today, and boy what an improvement over 77.77!

I have a nvidia geforce fx 5200.

Playing a standard sized terra map, there is no lag at all right now, in the late 1900's with all map revealed, tons of cities and units.. I can scroll around no problem! Not as smooth as my geforce 6600, but not laggy either.

Zooming out to globe view has the usual lag/heavy disk activity, but once I'm in globe view, same thing, I can scroll around without any problem now.

MAJOR improvement, I'm pretty happy

Full screen AND windowed mode act the same now too, where as previously I was getting slightly better graphics performance with windowed mode. :goodjob: :goodjob:

2. Yzman

Yzman Deity

Thats weird, I have the same card and I was having problems, even with that driver. As soon as I turned off AA though on the card options, the game runs flawlessly.

Edit: I don't think smoothlessly is a word, or even makes sense.

3. narmox

narmox Emperor

well my AA setting is "application controlled" and civ4 has 0 aa multi-samples :)

4. Shadowlord

Shadowlord Rare Poster!

smoothlessly?

BTW, narmox, have you changed the pixel shader settings for your card at all (Say, with RivaTuner or one of several other programs that can do it)?

5. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Tried 'em out earlier today. Got a steady 40fps with 2xAA all through the game, at least up until the 1900's, before it had a brief bout of HD thrashing. Yup, these are keepers.

6. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Chieftain

On a standard map even a GeForce 4 440MX is fine until the 2000+ era. The real test for your new drivers will come on large and huge maps.

7. Ramboost

Ramboost Chieftain

I have a TI4200 128 mb RAm card, and I "acciddently" played with the new 81.94 drivers yesterday. I thought I had installed 81.85 which I have had problems with earlier and was surprised that it all worked perfect.......until I read this post and found out that the 81.94 drivers came out the day before yesterday..........

So I am one happy Civ4 gamer:p Now I just need to a patch to fix the memory leak and the civilopedia and then I will be completely satisfied.......

8. Ambience_

Ambience_ Chieftain

I'll check it out as .85 were terrible. However it's not really graphics lag I'm worried about :(.

9. djenghis

djenghis Warlord

Can someone give me a link to where i can find this download?

I tried installing 81.85 yesterday, but my computer completely crashed. How do i even install it once i have downloaded it?

Thanks!!

10. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

Cool, must remember to check this out when I get home (currently on 81.85 and card aside - Ti4800SE - my system is above recommended spec, and I still get loads of lag).

11. Ramboost

Ramboost Chieftain

Go to http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.94.html. When asked whether you would like to save the file or open, just click "open" and it will automaticcaly run the installation after downloading.

12. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

I'm using 77.50 and so far no problems. When I do, I'll be sure to check this out. ;)

13. CorruptAssassin

CorruptAssassin Chieftain

cheers for the update on the new drivers, will definately check them out!

14. djenghis

djenghis Warlord

Thanks for the drivers, but when installing them it said something about: windows logo, not compatibility, windows xp... and that it could cause serious problems if continued with installation.

Do i have to update my windows drivers to? My pc does this automatically.

15. asmodeus81

asmodeus81 Chieftain

That's just the driver signing. I wouldn't worry about it. It means they haven't got this version of the drivers certified by Microsoft.

16. djenghis

djenghis Warlord

Okay. But the game didn't go any faster. It still runs very very slow. When i click to enter a city, it has to load up to 15 secs. My pc is 2Ghz, 512 Ram, geforce 5200.

How do i solve this problem?

17. TheDuckOfFlanders

TheDuckOfFlanders the fish collecter

Nice ,i have a comparable card in the series (fx5700) ,must check the drivers out.

18. Ramboost

Ramboost Chieftain

I have a 2.66 ghz, 1 gb RAM and a TI 4200 128 mb grapics card. The first turn or two can take a very long time, and I experience some lag. But after a few turns everything runs smoothly.........at least for an hour or so, when the memory leak kicks in and I have to restart Civ.

I guess your 512 mb RAM could be a key issue........I experienced at BIG difference in performance with other games when I upgraded my computer from 512 mb RAM to 1 gb RAM.

19. djenghis

djenghis Warlord

My drivers were 56.72. Then upgraded to 77.77 and 81.85 and 81.94. But in neither of the three cases there was any difference in gameplay. It still goes as slow as with the 56.72 drivers.

When i exit the game, windows says: Virtual memory is to low.

System requirements say: 256 mb ram minimum. I have twice that amount!!

This game sucks:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

20. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

djenghis, you may want to increase your virtual memory. BTW, that is a very slow card by today's standards. I think my old computer in the garage that hasn't been turned on in years uses that one (and I thought it was slow when I bought it).