1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NWolfNES I: The Greenskins, home edition

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Northen Wolf, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Northen Wolf

Northen Wolf Young Hunter

Update is coming today, in roughly 6 hours from this post.

I'm sorry that this NES is updating so slow, but this is the best I can do without sacrificing my own real life (as much or less as I have). I'll not get angry if someone wants to drop out of this because of the update speed.

2. Northen Wolf

Update 7
    Far-North Trade Caravan of the Horde, reaches Gor'

Once Gor' had joined the Horde, traders felt more secure and were even willing to trade with weird orcish village of Gor'. It is general knowledge, that The Horde finances three (3) caravans in North Baimora territory. 2 of the 3 caravans could visit village of Gor' without without causing time problems in their travel schedule. One of these, previously mentioned, caravans comes from Greenleaf clan territory and heads through Tauren lands(West of Gor') to the Dimetrodon goblin Clan. Second caravan that could reach Gormadash village comes from trading w/ Bloodoak Clan villages, Makes circle around Mountain of Horrors and finally heads to trade w/ Goblins from Dimetrodon Clan. Same caravan, that used to make circle around Mountain of Horrors, decided to change its path a little and see if Village of Gor' is worth of visiting. Besides that, The Horde supplied this caravan with rather large amount of horde currency that was needed to deliver to Gor' anyhow.

Caravan carrying gold and trade goods, while it was traveling towards Gor', traveled through lands they had never traveled before - they had always passed Mountain of Horrors from East, instead of West. They were lead by a single explorer-guide Orc from Bloodoak clan, the one who had visited Gor' before. However, this travel was not completely safe and without interesting events (it's rare when plans go the way they are supposed to go). While traveling towards Gor', on a rather hilly landscape, caravan was ambushed by few undead warriors. Where and how these undead knew where to Ambush is unknown, but more than half of them were slain by Caravan guards, before any harm to the goods (or money bags) could be done.

This ambush would have been enough to wipe out pitiful human trade caravans however, what undead did not count on was that Orcish caravans are not as weak as human caravans. Besides being stronger than human caravans, Orcish caravans that carry funds, always have several more experienced warriors accompaning them. But this victory over the dead did not come without losses, 2 Trained Warriors were wounded while defending trade wagons and more than 5 rookie warrior were killed in this ambush. Undead, despite of their small numbers were surprisingly well armed and trained - they did not use hundred year old weapons, as they weapons were recently smithed. One of the caravan guards - veteran warrior of The Horde, said that these Undead were clearly lead by some sort of Lich or Undead Knight and they were trained to fight recently - they had no battle experience but they were trained well. He emphasized that these soldiers were trained to fight after their death and that they were rather old corpses, maybe even older than 50 years. If this is true, then there might be a Lich or Undead Nobleman with minor Necromancery skills loose East of Gormadash, somewhere South of Mountain of Horrors. OOC: It is easier to create undead from very old or less than a year old corpses. Creating one undead ghoul from very old corpses takes several corpses and several days of necromancery for standard Necromancer. Traders could not identify or spot a necromancer and they assume that he/she/it was not leading this ambush but left undead fighting alone.

Despite of this small "battle excersise", Caravan reached Village of Gor' and after talking with Village elder, they unpacked their goods on the village center. This unpacking went rather well, but traders did complain that Gor' has no official marketplace or stall area they could use. But this did not matter much this year as Gor' had no coins to trade or no official currency, besides bartering stuff and doing/giving favors. Caravan was given currency by The Council of Horde and they kept their promise - several big bags, containing freshly minted coins, were carried into Elders house. After several days of lecture by several traders in "how to use coins", "benefits of currency", "what makes the world go around", "Why not eat coins but rather trade food for them" and "how to not to go broke" Elders began experimenting w/ the currency system.

Immortals (and village) can now Trade

Bloodoak Caravan carries

Tools
    30 crafters tools - 15 g each
    30 hunting equipment - 14 g each
    25 fishing spears - 5 g each
    15 woodcutting hatchets (suitable for self-defense too) - 20 g each
    12 mining equipment - 25 g each

Weapons and armor
    5 med-quality short swords, 30 g each
    3 med-quality fighting axes, 45 g each
    3 med quality chain mail, 75 g each

Misc
    15 Good quality iron bars - 18 each
    55 units of Cloth (one unit=one item) - 10 g each

Animals
    15 Chickens - 15 g each
    5 Domesticated pigs - 35 g each
    8 domesticated rabbits - 7 g each

Caravan values highly
    furs (and items produced out of fur) 3 g each
    herbs, 4 g each
    dried food (% of village food supply) 25 g for 5%
    And crafts - depends of craft

You may also try to use an character action to attempt to barter w/ Traders (asking what they might need and then spending time producing/getting those items). However this is not guaranteed to succeed.

-------------------------

Gor' adopts market-based economic system.

From now on, most actions that your heroes do give them wealth!

Random Working Action: pays from 1-5 gold, usual pay is 4 gold, but it may vary. Training itself does not pay anything however doing both training and guarding together would bring in some money.

Work that needs to be done during current season gives you extra +2 gold.
    Being more experienced in certain skill (say if your orc has trapping skill and he decides to trap animals for food) will add extra income.

Work that needs to be done
    Spring - farming, setting up animal traps
    Summer -
    Autumn - harvesting, changing animal traps into winter mode
    Winter -

----------------------
    You may still attempt to get stuff free - by spending an action.

Horde Trader likes stories

Famous horde trader of North Caravan, Fagat the Farcry loves orcs who tell good stories. He loves them very much. In very different ways. In very many different ways. One of the ways is simple. He gives money to those who impress him. Impressing is usally done through stories.

Chill Bill gains 16 gold
    Ugag gains 24 gold
    Seon gains 26 gold
    Wotepchu gains 6 gold
    Xialo gains 2 gold
    Gaarth gains 12 gold
    Maxwell gains 2 gold
    Gurtag gains 2 gold
    Gartog 6 gold

OOC: AmountOfStoriesOrGoodDiplo*2

Village gains funds
    This turn Village gains 120 gold coins

Costs of Building
    Small house costs 50 gold
    Medium house costs 75 gold
    Large house costs 100 gold
    Manor/castle costs 150 gold

Buying inventory for houses would cost 25 gold.
    Converting smaller house to larger house would cost 1/2 of building larger house (converting small house into medium house would cost 38 gold.)

------------------------

Factions

Many factions have been created and few of you are part of those factions already.
    Factions that were created are:
    Gor' Hunters
    Gor' Ranchers
    Guild of CaB(Crafters and Builders)
    Gor' Fishers
    Gor' Miners
    Gor' Militia
    Leatherblades

You can only be member of one faction at one time.
    Being member of a faction grants following benefits:
    1) Better relations and more success within your faction.
    2) Cheaper deals/easier to impress members of the factions and faction items are free to use
    3) Benefits of faction relations (or problems, if your faction does not like some other faction)
    4) Benefits of faction income (assuming faction is not in dept, if it is in dept, you may lose money instead of gaining money).

If faction does well, its members gain money, if faction does poorly, its members lose money.

Every faction leader gains additional order, wherein he/she can manage faction, like building houses or buying crafts or changing foreign policy.

OOC: Is this too chaotic? I wrote several full pages in open office, then deleted all and rewrote everything and repeated that cycle several times. While trying to make it as simple as possible.
    Basically all you need to know is that most actions bring in money, money can be spent if there is a caravan there (or buy raw materials -> smith them into item), Being member of factions can bring in money but you also share faction views, even in politics.

3. Northen Wolf

You still have plenty to decide -

(Seemingly non hostile) Undead village
    Meremaids/men
    Unknown Goblins offering to sell the information of Monolith Stones
    Greenleaf Clan who wants the knowledge of Monolith Stones
    Bloodoak clan who wants to destroy all knownledge of monolith stones
    Bloodoak clan settlers relocations area (offer Gor'?)
    Undead ambush on trade caravan

4. RPAdvantage

RPAdvantage Warlord

((OOC: NW, first I just want to say that this update is fantastic, and I'm ok with the pace. I just found out my wife is pregnant so the update speed is perfect for me.

I was hoping you could please clarify couple things for me:
    1. I lost an action but as a faction leader I get an action to instruct the faction is this correct? As I see it then my actions go
    1 personal action
    1 followers action
    1 faction action

2. With the traders, will they only buy items they are looking for, or could I sell (or convince followers to sell) items that aren't on there?

3. Will the imperial coins be distributed to the participants in our battle from before?

4. Do factions have gold?))

Factional Diplomacies

To Gor' Hunters:

I want to share something that will profit you to know. Namely this: Having two crafters guilds to deal with means you have twice the demand for your animal furs, pelts, and bones. The leatherblades want to increase your prosperity, especially with the upcoming winter. We offer to you two things in order to gain your respect:

1. (a) 10 new winter suits made by our best craftsmen. These will be higher quality than the ones we had last year, which should allow you to have a better hunting and trapping season.
    1. (b) Of course we will make more for your faction free of charge if you provide us with high quality pelts. We will make 1 additional free suit for every 2 pelts you bring us.

2. Wimminz. Our lady orcs are sometimes more effective than winter suits, and I would be happy to help the more socially confused to find wives.

To Gor Ranchers
    :

I want to extend an offer to you. When the boars get slaughtered and the sheep get too old to bear good wool, we would like to turn those hides to something useful rather than let them go to waste. The leatherblades will provide you with one winter suit for every 2 hides you bring us. This will allow you to obtain quality winter clothing without depending on the village allotment. As you may have counted, we have far more orcs than winter suits, but the leatherblades want to make sure you continue your work so we can continue our work.

To the Village Council:

Let's discuss our priority issues, what do you think is of highest import? ((we can drag this out to make updates not seem so long))

5. Massive Attack

Massive Attack Warlord

Magog

To Leatherblades/Gaarth:

Magog has 5 tanned wolf hides. Traders will pay 15 gold for the lot. Can you make better offer?

6. Northen Wolf

Congrats!

Correct. This action is to manage your faction -It should contain political orders, what to focus on (hiring/recruiting, improving relations, improving trade, etc). Of course going into tiny details or giving too many orders means that some orders or details will not be carried out very well. There should be one main order and may be a sub order, not much more than that.

You could make them an offer, see if they are interested.

Empire uses imperial coins as a form of currency. Horde uses Horde Coins as currency. Traders are willing to offer 1 horde coin for 3 imperial coins exchange rate, you could get better rate from goblins, but it takes a season for them to arrive here, while you could exchange money with traders this season.

Imperial coins are village property, it's up to you to decide what to do with them.

Yes, but your faction, right now, has none as it's expensive to run a faction. Your faction members still make profit and every member that makes profit increases faction total income. Of course to make profit, it'd be wise to think ahead and try to "strengthen" your faction as much as possible - free stuff, trade deals, liking other factions and stuff like that.

Food, rent, taxes - everything requires money and if your faction brings in negative profit, your hero will lose some money as well. However, If your faction makes profit, you will gain money. This applies equally to all faction members, does not matter if you are a leader or 'fresh meat'.

We see no difference in who we sell our hides to - we do not decided or dictate which hunter sell items to which crafter. You will not be treated differently from Guild of CoB. Your offer to aid us with finding the wimminz is nice, but a hunter can easly find himself a wimmin - we bring home meat, money and we are strong enough to fight a bear, that brings wimmin into our shacks.

OOC: They did not accept any proposals, both replies rolled 3.

We like your proposal and we will accept it, however we will only provide untanned hides to you. (OOC: Tanning hides takes time and money (salt is expensive!)).

+ Relations between Gor Ranchers and Leatherblades

There are so many things that need to be done and decided on.

We believe most important is to decided what to with this knowledge of releasing monolith stones. So far, only our shamans know this, but there are rumors that some goblins are selling the same secret. Whatever the stories are true or not, we do not know. So far Bloodoak clan has been friendly to us, but Greenleaf clan is offering a good price to us for teaching them the secret.

Then there's the problem with escaped god ... or demon. We do not know if it is "Great Bor" or not and if it is dangerous to us.
    And obviously, undead that knew where to ambush this trade caravan are still a threat. This ambush proves, that they have a leader and military leadership of sorts. The Horde offered us some aid to destroy this undead village, but why did the undead walk all the way around Mountain of horrors to ambush a trade caravan and did not attack our villagers or better yet miners? We should have spotted their ambush party at least. Of course we spotted some of the undead near us but if scouts saw correctly, they were spying on us and their village did seem rather harmless.

And then theres the problem of meremen/maids. Their meat is tasty, but they seem to be somewhat intelligent and may attempt to attack us or revenge for their (eaten) kin.
    ---
    EVERYONE CAN OFFER ANYTHING THEY HAVE TO MERCHANTS
    Mistake in update: Fur related items are not priced 3g, you will have to diplo merchants to sell leather items. Tanned furs can be sold for 3g each.

Orders are due SATURDAY

7. RPAdvantage

RPAdvantage Warlord

To Magog:

Aye, here is our offer:

You give us the hides and we will make 3 winter suits worth 7-10 golds each easily. Leatherblades will keep the other 2 hides. This will give you 21-30 gold instead of 15.

Furthermore, if you become a repeat supplier to the leatherblades, we may be able to provide even more profitable considerations in the future.

What do you want the gold for? Perhaps we can come up with a nicer arrangement now.

8. RPAdvantage

RPAdvantage Warlord

To the village:

We have 120 gold plus our imperial coins which are worth something for the shiny metal they are made of, and a great opportunity with the caravan to equip ourselves for greater future endeavors! We can increase the variety of our diet, and expand what we can get from the hillside metalwise with these tools.

I propose the village purchase the animals, the mining tools, and the crafting tools. In that order. Our craftsmen will then have raw materials to obtain and make more tools. We won't have to depend on hunting for meat after some time allowing the animals to do what Gaarth does with wimmins, and we will be able to make weapons and armors for glory in battle.

What say you immortals?

9. andis-1

andis-1 The Hedgehog

Northen Wolf, I'm not sure if front page stats are updated but Gurtak should have 1 (med) short sword and 1 (Med) Iron chainmail in his possession.

10. Massive Attack

Massive Attack Warlord

In that case. Magog offers to sell all the tanned pelts to the Leatherblades for 30 gold. The leatherblades will then see their profits when they convert the hides and sell them.

11. RPAdvantage

RPAdvantage Warlord

We can't go that high on 5 hides, 5 sets of crafter's tools maybe, but not hides. Anyways, at this point the leatherblades don't have any factional gold, which is why we offered to improve the hides you have into winter suits which will have a high value next season.

After we make our first sales to the traders we may be able to exchange gold for pelts, but again that will be next season.

Let me make another offer to you:

You give the leatherblades your hides, and our craftsmen will turn 2 of the hides into a masterwork quality suit of wolf leather armor. It will be nearly as effective as Chainmail with added bonuses to your stealth and since you will bear similar colorings to your wolf pup, it will also be easier for you to train it and gather more wolves to your kennel. If I were to sell such armor I would sell it for no less than 50 gold as it is a custom piece and more valuable as such. 3 pelts worth 9 gold is a steal in a trade for such armor. What say you?

12. badunoff

badunoff Prince

Sorry people, but Maxwell is dropping out.

13. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

The Traveler

The night was thick with rain. Billowing grey clouds hid the moonlight, boiling in the turbulent winds. The ever-present rumble of thunder rolled over the hills, as the traveler approached, staggering through the darkness.

A lightning strike briefly illuminated the hillside. The path was flooded, the traveler mired in the mudfield. He was soaked and dirty, his red cloak reduced to tatters, his heavy helmet dented and tarnished.

He can see the faint yellow glow of the village ahead. His small, dark eyes squint through the rain and fog at the sight, then he struggles onwards. Brief glimpses of moonlight from behind the clouds reveal more of the figure. Scarred and worn, as an orc ancient in experience yet youthful in vigor. His face is broad and strong- it may have been noble once. A broken fang decorates his grimace, three metal spikes replace an absent left forearm.

The villages is close now. The howling wind is pushing him onwards, he is so very nearly there. A flash of lightning illuminates the village. His delirious mind knows that he needs only the strength to take a few more steps- but he has taken so many to reach here.

His knee hits, the ground, but he struggles vertical once more. He is on high ground. The village is around him now.

With a heavy grunt, the great figure collapses to his knees, falling hard on his chest, splaying upon the ground.

Dawn is coming.

14. Northen Wolf

IIRC you did not ask for rewards, but I may be mistaken. I added requested items to your stats and removed them from village inventory

Sad that you cannot spare enough time to write two to four actions per two weeks.
    ---
    Welcome aboard Lord_Iggy!
    Redcape entered into stats. You are free to send orders for this update :)

15. RPAdvantage

RPAdvantage Warlord

((OOC: where's seon? We can't run the village without the overseer))

16. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

I'm right here :wavey:

But by all means, continue your discussions.

17. RPAdvantage

RPAdvantage Warlord

(( HA, Apparently I have the power to manifest Seons across the eons...

You're not a Brandon Sanderson reader are you?))

18. Cull

Cull Big Daddy

I'm not dead.

Northen is boss.

19. hbar

hbar Constant

Ugag think 'Bor may be a threat, but Ugag know who bigger than who. We should be wary of boar demon god, but we should save our strength and not anger him (yet). Ugag also curious about deadhead's village. Undeadz attack caravan mindlessly, but leave us alone? Maybe we have our sha-mans investigate (under heavy escort, of course).

We need wood for mine, and mine for ore, so Ugag think militia should guard the choppas while they be choppin. Mebbe then the villagers wouldn't be so scared to harvest wood.

Ugag also think we should ask the Raj Tol priesties what they think of Bor situation.

Regarding the Monolith Stones - Mebbe we not sell knowledge, not keep it to ourselves, but provide it as service for pay? If we only ones to know, we very important, make lots of friends. Also, then we control which and how many gods run around at once.

20. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

While I LOVE that idea, Ugag, it also happens so that some goblins watching the thing from afar was able to duplicate our method.