NWolfNES I: The Greenskins, home edition

Does spending time count as an action? If so, is it exclusive, or can it be combined with something else, like "Bring little Ugag with when chasing sheep"?

In can be combined, but catching sheep then is bit harder than without follower. Chance to succeed are higher if you write me a story about that :p

To: Outsider Orc Warriors

You train Ugag? I and little Ugag want to learn to smash skulls and choppa limbs! I not smart like the trickeez, but I work hard and long. Maybe you just train sixteem soldiers and we watch?

To: Village Fisherman

I know that the first couple months have been extremely annoying for you, with me pestering you at questions that you think are so basic even a baby would know. But, I beg of you, please teach me your art. I wish to be like you.

To: Outsider Orc Warriors

You train Ugag? I and little Ugag want to learn to smash skulls and choppa limbs! I not smart like the trickeez, but I work hard and long. Maybe you just train sixteem soldiers and we watch?

We would gladly train your warriors - like we offered you, but first majority of your Clan has to approve our joining.

----------
Everyone of you is a commoner. Everyone adult in clan can vote. Common orcs prefer someone to lead them. If most immortals agree on something, that something usually supported by your brothers and sisters. [/size 4]

Most commoners do not have "fixed opinion" what to do with those Outsider orcs. If you all agree to support accepting them into your clan - many will agree.

If most of you agree on one issue, it's likely you'll influence other people to vote like you. And likehood your agreement gets accepted is rather high (60-70%).

So no need to stay out of voting, even if you think you are just a "commoner".

To: Village Fisherman

I know that the first couple months have been extremely annoying for you, with me pestering you at questions that you think are so basic even a baby would know. But, I beg of you, please teach me your art. I wish to be like you.

Fishermen are not disliking you and if you get roll higher than 2 they'll accept you among them as watcher.

Rolls equal to 2 and 1 are bad. 3 and 4 OK, 5 and 6 very good. You can "soften" or "get better gains" with stories :p Also, you already learned something about fishing(50%) so one turn with or without outside help would teach you fishing. Unless you get roll of 1 - and what are the chances for that?

I want the outside orc warriors. I see no flaw in our brethen joining us.

There are two candidates for Overseer position, maybe someone else wishes to step up as candidate? I'd wait until tomorrow before you guys decide who becomes overseer. There are hidden benefits to any higher ranking position ;)

@Cull

Orders with hopefully a story during the weekend.

I should be Overseer. Why? Because I can take a sharp stick and stab things and get two fish a day. What do the others have?

I don't know...Mr. Chill Bill over there have an entire trap line at the west of this forest :lol:.

Stabbing things and tallying opinions as a neutral seems to be completely unrelated as well.

Anyone can make a trap line. It take skill to stab things randomly and STILL get two fish/day.

"I also wish that our distant brethren be allowed to stay. They have vital combat skills to speed up the training of our own forces and they may have other skills an knowledge that may be useful. In answer to Xialo's question, I slaughtered a boar with just a rock after my spear broke. That takes skill and courage and some luck, I am humble enough to admit that. In carrying out this feat I have won respect amongst our people and our hunters. Anyway Stoll is correct there is no connection between being able to kill a boar or a fish and being able to summarise and tally opinions and votes in an objective manner."

After that little speech Gorrik wandered away from the other immortals. He was convinced that there was no flaw in his idea for a spear per say but merely bad fortune had given him cracked wood or the boar had twisted in a particular way that would have snapped any spear. He set off to the edges of the forest to search for another branch to shape into a spear. He searched high and low for a straightish dead branch that was a good length. Once he found a branch that looked hopeful he would test its toughness. First he tried to snap or bend significantly it over his knee. If it past that test he would ram it into a rock or tree with all his strength and see if that broke the branch. Once it past that test, he took out his borrowed knife to sharpen the end and cut away any protruding knots or sticks. Finally the stick would have to pass the whole test again. Oddly enough Gorrik left a wide wake of broken or bent sticks in his path. Time wore on, Gorrik had spent at least an hour on his search, and he started to lose hope. He found one last hopeful to try. It was smooth and pale grey in colour and passed all the tests both in its natural state and sharpened. Without realising it Gorrik had stumbled across a piece of ash that had probably been lying for six months, enough time to dry it out but still leave it flexible enough to take the stress of combat (or so he hoped). He lovingly carried his stick all the way back to the village, carefully sharpening it and cutting away the last few knots of wood. He spent several more hours in his hut carefully sharpening it and stripping away the few remaining bumps with the utmost care. Finally once the point was as sharp as a wooden point could be and the wood as smooth as possible without stripping away the bark itself Gorrik picked up the spear. He intended to test it further in a private fishing session. Or rather a private stabbing-at-the-things-which move-in-the-water-blindly-hoping-to-catch-one session. Gorrik set off towards the water but before he got there disaster struck. He tripped on a stray, half-charred log from someone's cooking fire. He remained on his feet but he dropped his spear into the fire while regaining his balance. This drew curses from the old battle-ax who was cooking, a most fearsome lady, but worst still threatened to incinerate half a day's work. Gorrik quickly picked up his spear, muttering constant apologies to the lady. In the end only the tip and upper end of the shaft was lightly charred. Gorrik decided to head home. He would test his spear another day and hopefully not do it any more damage.

OOC: Obviously the brief trip into the fire actually does the spear good by fire-hardening the tip but Gorrik doesn't know that yet...

OOC note to Northen Wolf: I do hope my spear didn't break simply because it lacked a stone or metal head otherwise I will be quite annoyed. There is no reason why a the wooden shaft of a spear with a metal head or stone head would be any more resistant to the forces placed upon it in combat than a completely wooden spear, as long as they are the same type of wood. The reason a spear head is added is to give more penetrative power both due to the better edge and the increased weight. Awesome update anyway.

I declare Overseer elections, OPEN

We have 3 candidates who are willing to gather opinions of immortals and other clansmen:

Xialo (Cull)- A commoner who recently spent quite a bit of time fishing - he did quite well and is expected to learn how to fish using a spear by the end of summer

Stoll (Seon)- Commoner, whose self sacrificing actions brought several boars (6) into our granary stocks. Thanks to large part of his actions, our hunters now know where to find wild boars. His self-sacrificing actions (and tasty meat he brought) gained some respect to him among commoners!

Gorrik (Vertinari118)- Gorrik is another commoner, whose actions brought him same much glory as Stolls did to Stoll. In fact, Gorrik has gained respect among commoners AND hunters! His hand-to-bloody-death fight victory over big boar, was talk around campfire for quite some time.

OOC: I do not mind anyone being overseer - it just lowers my workload and gives some extra benefits to the one in high position

But whom of them is fit to count votes? Who to immortals think, is most "trustworthy" ? Who gets benefits of owning separate room in common sleeping halls?

EVERYONE HAVE MORE THAN A DAY TO VOTE - VOTE COUNTING WILL BE DONE AT MONDAY, 6 AM (GMT+0)

Meanwhile I also urge you to discuss what to do:

Just like they would've vanished into air
Around village, several elders and youth who went out to “potty”, during midnight are lost and never seen again. There are no suspicious footprints found, just regular orc footprints and none seem to indicate struggle of sorts. Just like these few would have “disappeared into air”.
How to deal with disappearing elders and youth? Why are only "weaker" clan members disappearing ?

They say that their Clans village (a week and several days upstream) was destroyed by “Horned beasts” and that their group is probably only group that had survived. They had walked randomly through woods and plains until they saw campfire smoke and seeing village inhabited by their kin made them very happy. They do not believe they were followed and ask to be “accepted into your clan” or at least get their wounds treated and some food. In exchange they offer everything they are carrying (including clothes) and their knowledge. It seems some of these “victims of war” are good quality soldiers while others are untrained youth.

Should you accept them and if do then why? May be they are just bandits who ran out of luck by attacking a caravan or a village?

Several small herds of wild sheep appear into distance
Fisherman and scouts report that several small herds seem to t travel from NE, crossing river and passing village over 1 km South. They seem to be heading into SW and are relatively calm, but if someone approaches them, they tend to flee into random directions and later gather around Ram when he calls them. Hunters wish to slaughter them all but some of civilians seem to want to “catch” them alive.
What to do about wild sheep and if capture, then HOW to capture them?

OOC: Obviously the brief trip into the fire actually does the spear could be fire-hardening the tip but Gorrik doesn't know that yet...

Quite good description - charring tip is used to get rid of extra moisture in spear tip so tip would be less likely to bend eg be more durable.

OOC note to Northen Wolf: I do hope my spear didn't break simply because it lacked a stone or metal head otherwise I will be quite annoyed. There is no reason why a the wooden shaft of a spear with a metal head or stone head would be any more resistant to the forces placed upon it in combat than a completely wooden spear, as long as they are the same type of wood. The reason a spear head is added is to give more penetrative power both due to the better edge and the increased weight. Awesome update anyway.

You are correct about combat "force placement" but I'll try to explain myself as well I can:

First - your spears are not very well done, you did not know how to choose correct wood, your craftsman skill is practically none, so you make many mistakes and place many wrong cuts and I'm not even going to mention balance issues.
Second - You spears are not very sharp meaning one hit against something will blunt the tip of spear. This is countered by charring the tip, but wrong throw/poor hit or miss can still turn sharp tip into blunt.
Third - you hit boar into it's side while it was running past you, due your placement, spear position and boars movement speed 'nd direction, your spear cracked into two halves - leaving sharper half into boars side and slowing its movement. My English is probably too poor to explain but basically boar ran past and "bended" spear too much, your position allowed you to hold spear with quite good strength, so that sudden extra "force shoulder" to the spear center broke it - would boars speed have been bit lower, you'd still have your spear in one piece but then again you'd probably be dead.

Slightly-charred tip spears beat simple wood spears as their heads are more durable - tip has less chance to go "blunt" if it hit something compared to spear tip that still has moisture in it (things tend to bend better and go more blunt if they are wet/have moisture in them).

Why add spearhead ?
1) If you miss (or hit) and tip of the spear goes "blunt" you can simply change the head, that progress takes quite a bit less time than creating new spear from step 0.
2) Spear heads are built in that manner to create as large hole with low possibility for spear getting stuck - we don't want that, like we want arrows to get stuck, hence the differences in head shape
3) Spear heads are simple to make and if spear would happen to get stuck into animal, it's much larger chance that spear will simply "fall off" with or without spear head - it's much easier to replace spear head than to make completely new spear.
4) Spear heads add weight and hence penetrative power to spear and are less likely to go blunt after 1-2 stabs. Spear heads also improve throwing spears (by balancing and adding penetrative power)
5) Spear head is like a knife - it penetrates much easier.

So, in conclusion - it is much more economical to add a spear head, but to do that you need crafting skill. Charring is OK as you wrote a story about it. It (Charring) improves durability of your spear tip, but your spears still have many issues (balance, durability, sharpness etc).

@Vert, so Yes, I know a bit about spears and your spear broke due its low quality, movement direction and speed of boar and you relative hitting position, enough thinking material for you not to get annoyed? You killed big boar having no strength, no weapon, no knowledge and only little outside help (A tree and few arrows one hunter shot into boar) ... I think this well compensates loss of a spear - you did not even spend one action to learn creating spears so :p
-----------------------

Wotepchu Broadhand thinks STOLL can be overseer real good. He brought in food, and may not have fought like greenskin Gorrick, but fighting is different than leading good.

Spoiler :
Ugag think Xialo make good overseer. When everyone else work, he "see over" a bank and find more fishies.

Ugag already give opinion on village issues. Ugag say again when overseer chosen.

OOC: Ugag not be back online until Monday or Tuesday.

EDIT: Ugag get confused. To many greenies catching fishies, cannot keep them straight. Ugag would vote for Wotepchu Broadhand if he was running because he find lots of fishies, but he not running. Instead, Ugag vote for Gorrik because overseer need make bold action, like finding piggies. Ugag say, a vote for Gorrik is a vote for bacon!

EDIT2: Ugag's head hurt. Too many fishies, too many piggies. It was Stoll who find the piggies, so Stoll brings the bacon. Ugag vote for Stoll, this final vote. No more changing!

It was a beautiful early summer morning. The mist was rolling off the hills, leaving a web of dew on the long grass. The field was empty, save for a flock of sheep in the distance, and two orcs at the base of the hill.

“Okay Mr. Ugag, this should be easy. I’ll circle around the herd, and approach them from the top of the hill. You hide behind that bush over there, and when a sheep runs by, you grab it. No sweat ... Ugag? Are you listening?”

“Wha? Ugag see butterfly, sorry. What we doing?”

“Mr. Ugag, we’re trying to catch a sheep, remember?”

“Oooooh, muttonz! Let us do this.” He took off at a sprint, running straight at the herd. “Uuuuuuugag Stoneskuuuuuuuuulz!”

The herd scattered, except for the grizzled ram that guarded the flock. It watched Ugag futilely chase the scattering sheep and seemed to crouch down. As Ugag ran past, the ram sprung forward and smashed his horns against Ugag’s skull. The massive orc collapsed instantly, as the ram trotted away.

It was a beautiful early summer afternoon. The mists had burned away in the midday sun, and the buzz of insects had given way to a gentle breeze. The hill was deserted except for a flock of sheep and two very large orcs hiding behind two rather small bushes.

“Okay Ugag, I’ve got a new plan. You go on top of that cliff there and get a big rock. Then, I’ll chase the sheep past the base of the cliff. When they run by, you drop the rock down - you’re bound to hit one of them.”

“Ugag throw rock, check. Ugag like this plan.”

They set to work. Ugag climbed the cliff and found a nice sized boulder while his companion snuck around to the other side of the herd. Surprisingly, he was able to herd the sheep down around the base of the cliff.

“Ugag, NOW!”

Ugag heaved the boulder up to shoulder height and threw it with all of his might. It sailed through the air for at least 50 yards before crashing down the rest of the hill, finally coming to rest near the village. As the sheep passed below, the ram looked up with what seemed to be disbelief in his eyes.

“Ha ha haaa! You see how far boulder go? Bet no one throws rock like Ugag!”

It was a beautiful evening, and with the sunset came the cool breeze of an early summer night. The hill was deserted except for a flock of sheep, a very puzzled farmer examining a large boulder in his field, and two very dirty orcs.

“Okay Mr. Ugag, this time its sure to work. Remember that hole we dug? I’m going to have you hide in the hole and I’ll cover it with sticks and leaves. Then, I’ll chase the sheep over the hole. When one falls in, you bash it good. Got it?”

“Ya, Ugag bash sheepie, make it mutton. Little Ugag make smart plans.”

So the two orcs get to work as a grizzled old ram watches from the top of the hill. True to the plan, the sheep run toward the newly covered hole. Right before they get to the trap, however, the ram bleats and the flock scatters. The sheep go everywhere except the conspicuous pile of leaves and grass, save one. A lamb too young to know the meaning of the ram’s call stumbled forward and fell into the pit.

“That’s it! Now, Ugag, smash its skull!”

Ugag raised his massive fist and looked at his enemy.

Spoiler :

“Um...”

“C’mon Ugag, smash it! I’m hungry!”

Spoiler :

“Er...”

“Ugag, MAKE IT MUTTONZ!”

Spoiler :

“But...Ugag think maybe we have fishies tonight. This sheepie too small, just a snack. We throw it back, maybe it get bigger.”

As the two orcs trudged back to the village, filthy, tired, and hungry, an old grizzled ram looks out from the hilltop.

Name: Gaarth
Professions: NONE (aspiring ladies-orc)

Social status
Position in clan:
Military: None
Farmers: None
Hunters: None
Craftsmen: None
Shamans: None
Builders: None

Followers: none
Gold: 0
Property: none
Equipment: none
Resources: none
Followers: 0 // followers are first members of your "tribe". They follow your lead, believe what you say and are easily influenced by your opinion (they vote as you do and follow your orders)
Knowledge: -
Fame: Not known
Respect: Not respected
Training: pitiful weakling, uneducated

Short bio: Gaarth is an orc. He has a fresh layer of orcsauce shimmering on his green skin. His rhymes although simple due to his lack of education, are also very potent. He keeps it real with a sly wink and an orcly sneer. His forehead bristles with a majestical unibrow. His top knot is exceptionally long and surprisingly well-kept. His hands and feet are larger than average. He has an earring fashioned from the skull fragments of an unknown animal.

Votes (out of character is easy for the voting I think)

Stoll for Overseer

Vanishing Orcses: We should build a wall with sharp pointy sticks at least around the quarters we use during the night.

Newcomer Orcs: Make them build the wall to show their loyalty and then welcome them to the clan.

Sheep: Extend village walls outwards so we can scare them into an enclosure.

Stoll thinks...

-That builders should make more cabins for the upcoming winter, or at the very least, reinforce pre-existing ones.

-Warriors: they should keep on accepting new volunteers and tag along with the woodcutters to protect them from beasties

-Craftsmen: should create some nets to increase the rate with which we can harvest fish

-Hunters: they are doin pretty well, no? Perhaps one of them can figure out bow to preserve meat

-Farmers/commoners: finish irrigating the ditch as well as harvest more foodstuff around the village

-Mermaids, my, bloody god. Why is nobody talking about the mermaids?! Evidentlythey are scaring the fishermen, but I say we just leave them be for now.

-Defenses: should we take the time to make one or should we just pray? Making a wall around the village would be a very, very hard venture. Besides, we don't have much wood... We should use it for building huts instead!

-Sheep
ah, the greatest question of our time. I say we catch'em using traps. If we just kill them all, their meat would rot away and leave us with nothing for the winter. Besides, who said we could cannot both kill and catch!

Actions:

Gaarth spent a lot of time talking with the unclaimed female orcs, giving them complements and making them smile. He gives them small plants that he finds around the village outskirts that when combined with roasted meats taste much better than the meats or the plants alone. Gaarth doesn't know this, but herbs like parsley are full of vitamins and by adding them to food make the orcs much healthier in general, growing stronger, and thinking more efficiently. This doesn't look like much to the other orcs, but should catch on quickly in the culinary circles of the commoners and ladies.

He spends the rest of his time hauling large chunks of wood out of the forest, since he has no axe it is primarily fallen wood and large dead branches that he can jump up and pull out of trees. Right now he piles it up for use as firewood or to create barricades should the need arise. As he works he challenges himself to carry heavier and heavier amounts of wood to show that he is stronger than others think he is.

Storytime:

As Gaarth wandered around the village, his orcnose smelled something wonderful. It was Brunala, a cookstress with a talent for spitted meats. Gaarth gave her a charming wink and asked her how she made the meat smell so good. "Small fires bring big flavors" Brunala said proudly.

"Do you do anything else to make it so tasty?" asked Gaarth.

"Actually, meat just smell good, could use more tasty."

"Can I add something to a small piece and see if you like it?"

"Would be ok, you eat if it not tasty."

Garth crushes up a bunch of parsley and chives and covers the piece of meat with it. He lets it cook until the plants start to darken.

"Here, please try it."

As she tasted it she knew it was much improved over meat alone, and scurried off to gather more of the plants, giving Gaarth a small smile as she left.

While Gaarth searched out more tasty plants, he knew he needed to contribute to the clan, and he really wanted there to be an incentive for his wall idea. He went into the woods and grabbed the largest limbs and trunks he could move, testing his limits to bring only the largest and heaviest back to the village.

Sheep

My plan is quite simple. We cut down some more wood and fast, dirty but reasonable stout fence around a large area of good grassland, not too far from the village. We then drive the herd into the fenced area through a gate or by simply leaving one side assembled but not erected. Once the sheep are contained we can count them and decide whether we keep them enclosed or allow them to wander relatively freely, with a group keeping an eye on them to make sure they don't stray too far.

The New Arrivals

They have trained warriors and thus are as valuable as gold dust to us. They should be allowed to stay in the village on two provisos:

1. They agree to train all those interested in the war
2. They agree to stay in the village and not to wander away from the village. After all they could be scouts from a rival village or even the bull-people themselves!

Craftsmen

The craftsmen should utilise their skills to best aid the village. Tailors and others skilled with threads and such things should focus on making winter clothing first and foremost and then on making some nets. The trap makers should devise traps which can be lain around the village to warn us of the enemy and hinder them in their assault. Those skilled at making armour and weapons should use our meagre resources to devise weaponry to the best of their ability and repair any that has been looted as well.

Hunters

The hunters should carry on their hunting but also begin to carefully scout around the village to spot enemies coming and learn more of our surrounding. Even if the bull-people do not come information could save our lives.

Farmers

The farmers should carry on preparing and planting their fields. They should also, in whatever spare time they might have, go out to see if they can gather valuable herbs which help healing or more edible plants and seeds. If they need to go far, into the forest for example, they should join a band of hunters for protection.

Villagers

The villagers should focus on digging the irrigation ditch. They should also think about possibly digging another ditch around the village, which would help to impede an attack, and filling it with sharpened stakes the wood-crafters could make quite quickly to cause further pain for the attackers.

The wood-cutting group

They should try to up their production by venturing into the woods. As we have more warriors now some could go with them to protect them from harm.

Builders

Should build more shelters and keeping out the cold however they can.

Soldiers

Should try to recruit and train more commoners. They should also create a patrol rota to ensure that the village and its perimeters are patrolled day and night. Commoners going to the toilet in the night should inform the patrol who can send someone to accompany them from a discrete distance, but not too far, to deter attacks. Finally they should go with the wood-cutters, perhaps train them in how to fight with an axe.

Actions

-Spend time learning how to fight with the soldiers. (Spear will be left in quarters and tested at a later date, away from watching eyes)
-Organise herding of the sheep into pens and building of the pens.

OOC: I don't think I have missed anything. Have I?

Sorry i've been so quiet. i've been at conference (and still am).

I'll make my orders brief:
Chill Bill wants to:
1) help crafters build crafts (try to convince a hunter i who is friendly towards me to help crafters and Chill Bill) Try to learn as much as i can about simple carpentry and woodwork, bending wire, weaving string and rope, etc. Keep my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open.
2) help hunters lay traps. i am interested in setting some away from the village to catch whatever might be taking orcs or the bull people but i also want to set up regular trapline traps to catch animals for food, fur, and 'cat-gut' (to make into more traps or bowstrings or to use to build clothes from furs). When working with the hunters pay careful attention to the way they move and orient themselves in the forest. if they use their bows, watch careful trying to learn much but don't ask any questions unless they offer to teach Chill Bill. again, keep my ears and eyes open and my mouth clothes. be dextrous and deft and never ever mix up my right foot with my left (ie- don't move around like a elephant in the forest)

Top Bottom