1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NY becomes 6th state to legalize gay marriage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by downtown, Jun 24, 2011.

?

well?

1. Kudos to New York State for allowing gay marriage

85.4%
  2. This is an abhorent attack on the institution of marriage

8.9%
  3. I'd like to get in a marriage with downtown

5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

oh gawd its anarchy here I had gay people grinding on me all day guise

2. Askthepizzaguy

Askthepizzaguy Know the Dark Side

Sounds awesome. Let me get a piece of that action. Beats someone trying to grind the Old Testament against me, that's for sure.

3. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

DT lives in Chicago.

4. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Canis Latranscendental

Well, I was replying to the concept of it being an abomination when it was perfectly normal for countless time beforehand with some limits.

Never mind, back then, there wasn't a reason to - marriage is called Matrimony because it was believed its purpose should be to reproduce. Matri from matre, mother.

Back then, there was no male eggs or female sperm. Now there is, at least in development stages.

The meaning of marriage also no longer has to do with reproduction these days, but with love.

5. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

So in other words they didn't recognize it because it did not help civilization in the slightest

6. Tani Coyote

Sure sure.

But now, it can because gays can reproduce too, even with their partner, thanks to the wonder of science, such advanced technology not being known to the Romans. Unless we want to deny marriage rights to the sterile too...

Tradition. Just because it's been done for hundreds of years doesn't make it any less silly or stupid.

7. civ_king

If the infertile want kids they can adopt, there are plenty of kids who could use a home and spending tens of thousands of dollars on fertility treatments is very selfish.

Novelty: Just because something's new doesn't make it inherently more sensible or intelligent

8. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

I'm not going to wade through 21 pages of undoubtedly very strong arguments why "This is an abhorent attack on the institution of marriage" (I did try though) and realise that in order to choose from the poll there wasn't a more docile option to pick from.

Therefore I'll just go ahead and simply ask: does anyone have a reasonable argument how Gay Marriages detract in any way from Non-Gay Marriages?

And if you believe such a thing, do you also believe that a mass-murderer who prays to God also detracts from your own prayers to God?

9. civ_king

Homosexual marriage lacks the essence matrimony.

An argument I've seen is that if homosexual marriage is legalized, but then is later found to "be unable to create exclusive, permanent, unconditional marriages, their failure would reinforce the idea that marriage lacks these qualities and is just a matter of private happiness to be discarded on whim. That would be a great step backward for society, for it would increase divorce and all its associated pathology and create yet another impediment to the happiness and fulfillment of millions of people."

10. Ziggy Stardust

You're going to have to explain that to me.

11. civ_king

Children

notice the quotes and that I start that block with "An argument I've seen is that if homosexual marriage is legalized, but then is later found to"

It says reinforce not start. It's like tossing petrol on a bonfire...

I guess the person was talking about if the attachment goes down then it is easier to discard, in reverse a family heirloom might be a piece of junk, but it has large attachment.

12. Ziggy Stardust

can be adopted.

My mistake. I was determined not to engage in an argument, just want to get clarity on the position.

13. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Yeah, the argument is viable. It's what we do in a progressive society: we try to make things better and then suffer the consequences. I've seen enough long-term homosexual marriages that I think they can work.

Marriage is already degraded from the ideal, we don't expect it to get worse.

14. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

If you don't agree with gay marriage for religious or whatever reason no one is forcing you to marry a gay person. Why should your religion dictate the major life decisions other people make? There are more than enough children in the world anyway. Humans aren't an endangered species.

15. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

Hey, I'd argue pro-gay. Just to counter overpopulation which causes several of the most pressing issues for humanity right now.

16. Tani Coyote

Never mind that for as long as male eggs and female sperm are still under development, they can help give orphans the family they need. The family that will make their life better and significantly reduce their chances of turning to crime.

It's ridiculous to deny adoption rights to gays on the basis of being gay, because a single parent or gay parents is always going to be better than none.

And gays can adopt too. Surely they should be allowed.

Unless you would prefer we leave orphans in the orphanage without parents. Never to know the joy of a true family. Of Christmas. Never to have that caring, overbearing mother or father who will whip them into shape if they misbehave or go off the good path.

You did move the goalpost from marriage to ability to raise kids, so I'm just countering gays are still equal here. A single parent or gay parents will ALWAYS be better than none.

Sure sure, but novelty tends to make the world a better place. Imagine if we had told that guy who invented steel that iron was what was used so why advance further?

Traditions will ALWAYS, ALWAYS hold us back. Innovation, on the other hand, creates cure for medicines as much as WMDs, so, we shouldn't deny it out of hand.

17. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Chieftain

It cheapens marriage to be a thing the state decides, rather than the only authority on such matters.

18. holy king

holy king Chieftain

19. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

Why would the Roman Catholic Church be the only authority that matters?

There's many non-christians that marry. Muslims for example. I hardly doubt they care what the Roman Church says. I plan to get married one day and really don't care what the church thinks about marriage (or anything else).

20. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

Don't be absurd. The Greek Orthodox Church is one of many authorities. Others include the Romanian Orthodox Church, the Orthodox Church in America, the Antiochian Orthodox Church and all those in communion with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.