NY Post cartoonist under fire for portraying stimulus author as a dead chimp.

Isn't NY Post a mere tabloid?
Also, all of you posting criticising Sharpton has been reported for racism, enjoy your bans.:thumbsup:

At first I thought "hm, the whole chimp thing definitely has racist overtones or undertones." After all, the chimp shooting wasn't a particularly important story, and it would be easy to exploit that and score a cheap point off of it. And I think there have been cases in the not-too-distant past where a sports commentator was criticized for saying a black player ran like a monkey, that sort of thing.

Then I looked at the cartoon. No similarity to the President. It's just a chimp-looking chimp.

Isn't NY Post a mere tabloid?

Not just any mere tabloid. It's the tabloid.

The first person I thought it was insulting was Pelosi. It took a while to figure out why people were upset. I don't find it that funny, but people are overreacting.

I seem to recall that Bush was pictured, in cartoons, as a chimp - which I take it was meant as a comment on his intelligence...

So it was all right to represent Bush as a chimp, but to even give any remote idea of comparing Obama with a chimp, it is racism.

I'd say that the people claiming racism here are the racists - happily exploiting and promoting ideas about racism for their own political gain.
You really do have an issue with racism...

sorry inno but the concept of reverse rasism is just crap designed by ppl to make ppl pay less attention to real rasists. if calling obama a monkey would be rasist then this is rasist too. bush as a monkey isnt rasist because its not making fun of his rase its making fun of his intelligence... rasism doesnt have to do with intelligence it has to do with rase.

sorry inno but the concept of reverse rasism is just crap designed by ppl to make ppl pay less attention to real rasists. if calling obama a monkey would be rasist then this is rasist too. bush as a monkey isnt rasist because its not making fun of his rase its making fun of his intelligence... rasism doesnt have to do with intelligence it has to do with rase.

the very idea of race (what's with the "rase" thing around here?) shouldn't even be worth the time spent arguing about it. And I guess I'm off this thread then!

the very idea of race (what's with the "rase" thing around here?) shouldn't even be worth the time spent arguing about it. And I guess I'm off this thread then!

so in other words you are saying that you dont care if ppl are rasist

Am I the only one who needed it explained to me that this was bashing Obama, not Bush? Maybe cartoonists just drilled the Bush thing really deep into my head, but I heard it on the radio and it took me awhile to figure out why Bush getting portrayed as a Chimpanzee would suddenly have become offensive...

the chimp went crazy and started attacking people , the congress went crazy and started spending money wildly. "Chimp = Obama" is like "Pig with lipstick= Sarah Palin". Obama said he was referring to McCain policy and not a personal attack against Palin and most believe him so why is this any different?

I'd say that the people claiming racism here are the racists - happily exploiting and promoting ideas about racism for their own political gain.
You really do have an issue with racism...

Our problem is that racism is such a charged word.

We have people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson who are probably disappointed that they will never have a place in history with Rev. King. I think they have decided to try and make up for that by inventing struggles rather than fight existing ones.

This sort of thing was in the news during the campaign, though, when someone decided this would be a cool design for a T-shirt:

It didn't go over well.

The T-shirts are being peddled by Marietta bar owner Mike Norman at his Mulligan's Bar and Grill in Cobb County. They show a picture of Curious Georgie peeling a banana, with the words "Obama '08" underneath.

[...]

Norman acknowledged the imagery's Jim Crow roots but said he sees nothing wrong with depicting a prominent African-American as a monkey.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cobb/stories/2008/05/13/mulligans_0514.html

I can actually see Sharpton's point this once....

Am I the only one who needed it explained to me that this was bashing Obama, not Bush? Maybe cartoonists just drilled the Bush thing really deep into my head, but I heard it on the radio and it took me awhile to figure out why Bush getting portrayed as a Chimpanzee would suddenly have become offensive...

Yes, if these ain't double standards, I don't know what are.:rolleyes:

Wasn't George Bush depicted as a monkey on several occasions? It's the same thing isn't it?

Top Bottom