[GS] O Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
With regards to hockey arenas, what if each hockey arena gave a combination of + gold / tourism / amenities per hockey arena in your empire. Reasoning would be to simulate a professional hockey league, i.e. each arena would represent the city’s team in the league, so more teams gives more revenue, competition and satisfaction defeating rivals.

Are the Cree more appropriate? Or the Maori? Zulu? Scotland? Norway? If there would only be the greatest of powers, we would always have the same 20 civs...
To be honest, I personally would prefer the greatest powers to mostly take up the slots, with one or two wildcards thrown in too. I wouldn't find that boring at all though - these are the greatest powers in history! And they could be portrayed so differently each time, with different leaders and units, etc.

I just feel this is a franchise all about the history of civilization. So the major players of history should be there, compared to, for example, Australia, which is an incredibly young country. It's history has barely started and hasn't made a mark on the world comparable to the greats of history. America on the other hand, even being a relatively modern civ, has had a very large impact on the world and so doesn't really feel out of place in the game to me.

That's just me, I realise many people enjoy having these civs in the game. My bias towards ancient history and relative lack of interest in modern history would be a factor too.

To be honest, I personally would prefer the greatest powers to mostly take up the slots, with one or two wildcards thrown in too. I wouldn't find that boring at all though - these are the greatest powers in history! And they could be portrayed so differently each time, with different leaders and units, etc.

I just feel this is a franchise all about the history of civilization. So the major players of history should be there, compared to, for example, Australia, which is an incredibly young country. It's history has barely started and hasn't made a mark on the world comparable to the greats of history. America on the other hand, even being a relatively modern civ, has had a very large impact on the world and so doesn't really feel out of place in the game to me.

That's just me, I realise many people enjoy having these civs in the game. My bias towards ancient history and relative lack of interest in modern history would be a factor too.
I would just like as many Civs as possible, personally. There's a set roster of particularly important and influential Civs that IMO should always be included, but after those, I'm pretty open-minded. I don't think I've ever looked at a Civ and thought they didn't belong in the game (I had to Google Mapuche, but that's because I'm ignorant ;) ). Sometimes including colonial Civs while their old-world forebears are excluded can look a bit weird *cough* Brazil but no Portugal *cough* but my solution to that would be to just have both Civs included, not to get rid of the colonial one.

I struggle to enjoy modern Civs from a gameplay perspective: I don't really enjoy the final third of the game so waiting until the later eras for your Civ's uniques to kick in can really be a drag.

Perhaps not every modern country can or should be included as a Civ - but I think Canada is one of the more worthy ones. And I'm excited to have another Civ that has the potential to make use of snow/ice/tundra tiles :)

I would definately like a tundra/snow bonu like

"Cities settled on tundra or snow tile have faster expanding borders. Extra yields from Natural Wonders on tundra and snow tiles."

UU ideas:
Coeur de bois: Not a Canadian and hadnt heard about them but after reading about them I think they would be a great unit!

Marksmen: Canada has produced famed sharpshooters and these could replace Spec Ops unit and come earlier, with a ranged attack of 2 hexes

Militia Artillery: first military units formed in Canada were militia garrison artillery units that developed into artillery brigades and served in their all wars.

Please no Mounties+Ice hockey

p.s. Put Justin Trudeau as the civs leader and watch money pouring into Firaxis offices from doors and windows. Ladies love him!

I think only a modern civilization can get an unique Aerodrome district, I do not know much about Canadian history, so I'd like to know: does it make any sense that Canada receives a unique Aerodrome district?

I suppose they could spin it that way if they wanted to introduce a unique Aerodrome. Could draw on Billy Bishop and other early aviators. Wouldn't be the most natural fit, but Canada adopted civilian air travel and military planes as quickly as anyone, so you could write a story for that if you were looking for one.

The most famous - certainly the longest serving - Canadian plane is probably the deHavilland Canada designed DHC-2 Beaver. It was used by a number of air forces in it's early years, but most of it's life it's served as the ultimate "bush plane", getting people into and out of rugged terrain.

Didn't we already have confirmation from a Firaxis leak of all the new civs, including Canada and Hungary? The change to Poland's colour scheme is also a hint - while they seem to be less fussy about matching colour schemes to national emblems in Civ VI compared with Civ V, there are a few cases where they've followed the colours of the national flag. With neither Poland nor Indonesia having white-on-red now, and red-on-white taken by Japan, Canada's a probable reason for this change.

... thats an interesting UU, the Avro-Arrow. It was one of the most advance planes at its time, but a new government came in 56 amd cancelled the program (as long range bombers like it where being made obsolete by ICBM'S) before it saw even a second of action. A lot of urban legends around it too.

Reactions: j51
Also I hope that they take Canada in a direction more to our past, rather than give us the obvious/dumb things like a "Hockey Arena" as our UB and "Mountie" as our UU.

Don't worry, I can't imagine they'd do anything so crass and stereotyped. If they were going that route they'd have given Scotland a golf course and Brazil a carnival district.

Wait...

Ehh, I respect Canada and Australia IRL and all, but them being both in the same game is too much for me. Too many Anglophone countries and/or very modern colonial states. England, America, Canada, Australia, Brazil... I don't know why I perceive modern states as "anticlimactic" in Civilization game but I just feel this way.

At least Canadians are happy :)

Firaxis has made clear that the criteria for inclusion in Civ VI has nothing to do with historical relevance - it's unfortunate but we can't really get anywhere with 'but it's less important/younger than X' arguments any more. As I recall the criteria boil down to novelty and expected popularity - is it something they haven't done? Is it in a region they don't feel is fully covered? Is there a big fanbase in a country that hasn't been represented or is it a fan-requested civ?

Chandragupta's Maurya Empire went well past the Indus River, and I would be surprised if it wouldn't be used by India, based on that.
As for the Cree they never went that north and I believe they wouldn't have their geographical feature names in English.
At this point the leak is pointing to being real.

Or the Mackenzie Mountains could belong to England since Canada was part of British territory...

... thats an interesting UU, the Avro-Arrow. It was one of the most advance planes at its time, but a new government came in 56 amd cancelled the program (as long range bombers like it where being made obsolete by ICBM'S) before it saw even a second of action. A lot of urban legends around it too.

There's even a TV movie with Dan Aykroyd!

I suppose they could spin it that way if they wanted to introduce a unique Aerodrome. Could draw on Billy Bishop and other early aviators. Wouldn't be the most natural fit, but Canada adopted civilian air travel and military planes as quickly as anyone, so you could write a story for that if you were looking for one.

The most famous - certainly the longest serving - Canadian plane is probably the deHavilland Canada designed DHC-2 Beaver. It was used by a number of air forces in it's early years, but most of it's life it's served as the ultimate "bush plane", getting people into and out of rugged terrain.

What about a water-tile unique aerodrome?

I, personally, was all in serious about it. I can understand why our actual government, however, wouldn't want to reopen constitutional discussions. Also, I'm not sure how keen the locals are to trade their U.K. passports for Canadian ones.

What I didn't realize until recently was that the idea stretches back over 100 years. Apparently it was the U.K. government, worried about growing Canadian influence inside the Commonwealth, that was opposed to Canada getting any bigger.

I believe the locals weren't negatively predisposed to the notion - but the Canadian government is a lot more circumspect about it (infrastructural investment costs and fear of appearing imperialistic contrary to our international reputation).

As to losing UK passports - they carry BOTC, which isn't the same as British passports and doesn't give right of adobe in the UK (with some exceptions).

Speaking of special buildings - I believe one of the Civ 5 mods used microwave towers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_Canada_Microwave

I kind of hope Canada doesn't include memes/stereotypes such as apologizing or hockey...

I am really sorry you think of it this way :lol: Though the Canadian "sorry" can be used in many ways - from genuine polite sorry all the way to @#$# you sorry.

Last edited:

Where the DHC-2's typically fly into, you'd be hard pressed to call an "aerodrome". :lol:

But yes, if that's something Firaxis was trying to do anyway, they could probably spin something for Canada. Billy Bishop airport in Toronto is on a tiny island in Lake Ontario. It's not a main airport, though. That's Pearson, which is solidly on terra firma.

I am really sorry you think of it this way :lol: Though the Canadian "sorry" can be used in many ways - from genuine polite sorry all the way to @#$# you sorry.

Can it? I'm not personally familiar with that. I mean, the ironic "sorry" can be used by anyone. I think of the "Canadian sorry" as more of a substitute for "excuse me". It's mostly a reflexive comment used during brief contact with strangers, or as a prefix when providing instructions.

Reactions: j51
I'm not sure I understand why people are upset about the possibility of hockey working its way in there. This isn't some horrible stereotype like some people are saying. Id prefer other traits, but it IS emblematic and I don't understand where people are getting the negative connotation

I'm not sure I understand why people are upset about the possibility of hockey working its way in there. This isn't some horrible stereotype like some people are saying. Id prefer other traits, but it IS emblematic and I don't understand where people are getting the negative connotation

I didn't read the post where anyone suggested hockey was a horrible stereotype. Like you, I'd prefer other traits because in a game about civilization there are a lot of interesting aspects of Canada's history that could be depicted in a way that I believe would lead to more enjoyable game play than subbing out an arena for a hockey rink.

The "Canadians like hockey" meme and the three Ms (Mounties, moose, and maple syrup) might make their way into the game in an interesting way, but they're also ripe for being introduced in a hokey way ("hokey hockey", ugh … sorry about that). And if that's how Canada is depicted in Civ 6, it'll just prove all those "Canada shouldn't be in Civ" comments right.

What I'm hoping to see are things that cause the average gamer to say "Hey, that's cool! I didn't know that about Canada. This civ is fun to play."

If Canada was going to get a unique aerodrome, they could make it work. Although I think it would be more likely that it would be a tundra-based one, given the number of small northern towns that need to get everything flown in by plane. Making an aerodrome that was almost free if built on tundra or snow, maybe gives some extra housing, and maybe increased range for any planes operating out of it?

May be built on any terrain

Even desert? Though we have a professional team now, so...

There was an outdoor game in Las Vegas once

Did not know this, I might have been in the Navy at the time, and over in Orlando. Not that I paid attention to hockey much back then.

I think a replacement for Stadium would make the most sense. Obviously you'd have to give it pretty big amenity, culture, and tourism buffs, but it could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom