1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] O Canada

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Giskler, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

The Mackenzie Mountains, named partly after Canadas second prime minister Alexander Mackenzie, lie in the Northwest Territories in Canada. Canada is the only nation which has had the mountain range within its borders. I guess you could make an argument that the UK also had it within its borders via their colonial nation Canada between 1870 and 1931, but that doesn't really change anything since the UK is not a nation in Civ6.

2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Chandragupta's Maurya Empire went well past the Indus River, and I would be surprised if it wouldn't be used by India, based on that.
    As for the Cree they never went that north and I believe they wouldn't have their geographical feature names in English.
    At this point the leak is pointing to being real.

3. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Every non-blob civ ever included in a past civ game is described by somebody as a "fan favourite". To include all such fan favourites, there'd be no room for new civs.

Canada is very much a bilingual country. I'm anglophone myself, but I'd be completely fine if Civ focuses on our francophone heritage to distinguish us from Australia and the U.S. Better yet if there's a blend of both.

4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I expect the Civ to be a blend of both. Why wouldn't they? Though I'm not sure how that would be represented in game terms. I don't know enough about Canada culture (the Quebec side anyways) to say for sure.

5. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

I’m not sure it confirms it. Are we assuming that all rivers and mountains must belong to a civ? Might they not have mountain and river names I. A generic random bucket that doesn’t necessarily belong to a civ?

6. Xandinho

Xandinho Deity

Canada focused on French would be a good deal to differentiate it from England, USA and Australia. Since many leaders speaking English is simply boring.

7. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

We know that when a civ is out of names it draws from civs not in the get, not a generic pool, from the announcement Livestream.

8. Alexander's Hetaroi

Isn't the supposed leader Laubier, a francophone, or at least speaks French as well as English? That's enough representation right there as well as including cities such as Montreal and Quebec.

9. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

I'm all for Mexico, and Gran Colombia might be interesting (that region is unfilled after all...). Haiti would also be kind of cool.

EDIT: Yes I know Haiti is Francophone, just wanted to include :)

10. Turrdy

Turrdy Prince

Isn't Rome kind of Italy and aren't the Aztecs kind of Mexico?

And the capital of Italy is the same as the Roman one, as well as the Capital of Mexico is the same as the Aztec one. That's why I'm pretty sure we'll never see those two modern nations unless the classic ones are omitted.

11. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

They edited the mountain-range name while in-game, just for a lark. It's a False Flag!!

They didn't realize false assumptions were going to come of it. Or DID they??

12. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Firaxis is not going to troll Canadian customers by purposefully doing something to make them think Canada will be in the expansion when it isn't.

CPWimmer likes this.
  13. Alexander's Hetaroi

Well the Cree certainly isn’t Canada and Macedon isn’t Greece this time and we are going to get them or already have them.

Rome doesn’t have to be the capital of Italy if led by a Medici of Florence or a doge of Venice.

And the Aztecs never called their capital Mexico City. Same as the Ottomans renaming Constantinople to Istanbul as one example. Not saying I want Mexico because Aztecs and Maya is good enough for representing them geographically and if we did have to get another postcolonial civ I would want it to be Colombia.

Jkchart, Metecury and Ivan Hunger like this.
  14. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

That's a good point. We have Greece + Greece + Macedon + a Greek Egyptian, but if the leak is true, we'll only have Canada + Cree.

That means there's definitely room to add the Haida in the third expansion. :)

tedhebert, TahamiTsunami and CivLuvah like this.
  15. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

We need the space for the Byzantines, Selucids, Minoans, and Mycenaean Greece.

16. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger King

Two civs having the same capital isn't really an issue. It would be easy enough to just have the game rename one of the capitals to a randomly selected alternative from the city list if both civs are on the same map. In fact, I think that's what it already does if you allow for duplicate leaders.

17. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

In the case of Italy you could just go for the original capital of the Kingdom of Italy which was Turin, or if using a medieval or Renaissance leader like Matilda of Tuscany or Lorenzo the Magnificent wherever they were based (Canossa for Matilda, Florence for Lorenzo).

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  18. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger King

Sure, but if they do come up with a good idea for a leader who was based in Rome, I don't think they should exclude that option just because Rome (the civ) is already in the game. It's just not that big a deal.

19. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Dunno about that. I mean, the US did try to invade Canada and failed.

Klinn likes this.
  20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

A civ based on the early trading culture would be realkly cool and different. "Hudson Bay Company" trait? Yeah ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.