1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] O Canada

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Giskler, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

You just have to make peace with the fact that some people are incapable of suspension of disbelief. My dad is the same way and I've always found it odd how rigid he is in his thinking, but I've accepted that it's a thing :)

CivLuvah, DWilson and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  2. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Every time we have this discussion, it makes me wonder why the set up menu doesn't include an option to select leaders you don't want in the game?

Some people will still complain because Leader A means there isn't space for Leader B, but for a lot of other players, it would allow them to only play with ancient empires, only play nations they've heard of, etc.

3. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

Nah, your carbon footprint is still huge. You really love your dirty fuels. In fact, you are nearly identical to the US.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  4. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

The Tar Sands. :sad:

5. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

Pretty much. Canada is one of the worst polluters in the world. Them having unique green tech would be ridiculous.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  6. WorldWarIV

WorldWarIV Captain

Now, now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Justin Bieber on several occasions!

7. ZimZum514

ZimZum514 Chieftain

While I was hoping for more ancient civs, as long as they make it different and interesting to play, I'm all for it. Can we make John Candy a great artist?

8. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

It would be good to have that option.
    Sometimes I start a game in the ancient era and want only ancient nations, sometimes I start in a later era and would prefer not to have long extinct civs appear.
    It would also be useful for TSL maps where some civs start off too close together especially in Europe.

9. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

At first I thought you were serious but then it dawned on me.

10. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Only half serious. If the game had 100+ civs maybe :D

11. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

To me it's sort of like an element of mystery - I might not know much about Canada or Australia, but I know culturally they're quite similar to the US, UK, etc. - I would say they could form a cultural bloc in the game. There's no argument about their importance in the modern world, and their impact over their history especially during WW2, but it's not like meeting a civ you've never known about before or covering a part of the world or of history that's not as well known globally.

I guess I can more easily imagine ancient Vietnamese than ancient Australians or Canadians, and it also feels more diverse than having the UK, USA, Australia and Canada in the game.

If the leak is true then there's a good balance of civs from each region and era, and I don't really mind the inclusion of modern civs. I feel like though not having Portugal, the Ottomans, etc. until the 2nd expansion indicates that the historical aspect of civs isn't being given as much weight as I think it should be, and it's also leading to less cultural diversity in some ways. What attracted me to civ back when I was younger was the historical aspect and the feeling of advancing through time.

I'm sure Canada will be fun to play and I'll definitely try them out at some point, very interested to learn more and see how what their bonuses will be.

TahamiTsunami and Siptah like this.
  12. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger King

I have heard that the DLCs that include modern nations with large gamer populations tend to sell much better than DLCs that include other types of civs.

However, when I say that, I am merely stating what I have heard, not trying to imply that those civs lack merit. There really is no objective criteria for merit when it comes to civ selection. If anything, it just demonstrates that perhaps the larger gaming audience has different priorities for civ selection than the more hardcore fans who would frequent a dedicated community like this one.

13. alvinofdiaspar

alvinofdiaspar Chieftain

True re: carbon footprint; false re: love of dirty fuels - we have a confederated system of government here and natural resources falls within the purview of the provinces. Talk to the province of Quebec and see how much love they have for the tar sands. Or British Columbia, for that matter. As to being identical to the US, I don't know, that's like saying New Zealanders are the same as Ozzies.

tedhebert likes this.
  14. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Well I think it's because the focus has changed over the years. When every civ was generic and differentiated only by some art cut from an old Encyclopedia Brittanica, you'd just choose the name of a historic powerhouse. Of course I want to be Ancient Babylon, who wouldn't? I'm in Junior High and remember hearing about them in a class one time.

TahamiTsunami and ChocolateShake like this.
  15. roulev

roulev Chieftain

Ah well, this is absolutely and unfortunately true. I guess it's just hard to represent any modern nation with just a couple of uniques. Mounties and hockey arenas it will be then, I just hope they find something to make Canada interesting instead of being a tundra Brazil. Maybe something about resource extraction then ;)?

16. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

TBH I've always thought the Seleucids would be cool given their fusion of Persian and Hellenic culture, widespread empire, the big ego/achievements of either Seleukos I or Antiochus III being good qualities for leaders, and because it would be kind of interesting to get an actual Diodachus empire as opposed to just Cleopatra being the only post-Alexandrian Hellenic ruler representing the widespread cultures/empires of that era. But I digress.

EDIT: A Greco-Bactrian kingdom would be kind of cool too.

Greek Stud and TahamiTsunami like this.
  17. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Yes. I think I read this as a much weaker statement than you intended it to be.

18. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Hudson Bay Company--+something good with luxury goods, Skirmisher replacement that can explore and maybe help trade routes

19. alvinofdiaspar

alvinofdiaspar Chieftain

Automatic 10 uraniums :D

20. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I suggested along time ago something along the lines of more production from woods, lumbermills and camps on woods just because woods are underused right now.
    Laubier can deal with the diplomacy and dual culture aspects of a Canadian Civ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.