1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

O this pointless war of mine, and questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Xenofonex, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Xenofonex

Xenofonex Chieftain

This game is so much! Please help me understand things better. But first some background. Playing on huge, eternity, toffer world, all the cool settings, including going into the game editor after starting and selecting the secret combat mods.

My first question is what are the secret game options that are available by going into game editor? Are they documented anywhere, such as combat mod arms and equipment (sounds cool?)

OK so I am isreal sharing a continent with Maui and one other civ. There is an island off the main north shore I call mammoth island, for obvious reasons, it had the only mammoth I could find. I send a hunter up there and miraculously the subdues the big guy, and makes it to the coast where a sized-up raft takes the mammoth to my capital. Boom! Mammoth riders!

Not so fast, I couldnt build it because I was too far south. (IS there a way to tell latitude in the game?) Needs to be 40 degrees north. So I go all the way north back to the other end of the continent and found a city as far north as I can. (Apparently tribes cannot cross water? nor can archers?) But bears mammoths and bison are fine with it ...

So my north city of Hilatedae (generated names on, I love that so much) can build mammoths and manages to spit two out before they are cut off by the expanding cultural borders of Maui. So I go to war. The capture Hilatidae, and I beg for peace. But vengeance stews in my heart and for a thousand years I plot my revenge. On turn 101 I declare war and send a beeline to Honolulu. Very shabbily defended, though their military is .7 to mine, apparently all dogs. Lol. My army razes honulu but is torn to shreds before it can retreat. Meanwhile army number two is defending the isthmus that separates us. it was an epic defense, feeding troops on each sides like Verdun. But BUT I am building a secret third army which I send by boat (thru those cut-ff waters only accesible thru war) and launch a secret attack that retakes Hilatidae and my vengeance is complete. Maui is shattered, I have restored Mammoth island, yet there is a problem.

Mammoth trainer is gone! No sign of the trainer, nor any chance of ever building another mammoth rider as far as I can tell. Also I was halfway thru deer rider when the city was taken, and that wonder too has vanished with no signs.

Final question for this post? Where is my mammoth trainer and was this war all for nothing, if I can never have my mammoth back?

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

All options at various stages of development. None ready for play. I'd expect a few quirks if you do. One of them will actually just shut off diseases entirely right now.

3. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

When a city is captured there is a chance that each building may be lost. Some buildings are always lost. I can see nothing special about the Mammoth Trainer so it has the default chance of being destroyed when the city is taken.

New mammoths stop spawning at some point, around 40,000 BCE. This means that after that date you wont get any for subduing and will not be able to build the buildings. This is also a work in progress. The extinction event will eventually remove any unimproved map mammoth resources. Plus there will be a new Event added that spawns some tamed mammoths on improved map resources after the extinction event.

Anq likes this.
  4. Xenofonex

Xenofonex Chieftain

Thanks for the responses. Surprised unique buildings can be destroyed upon capture, very disappointing. In the end I restarted the game back at 200,000 bc, and true to the spirit of the isreali tribe, trekked 4000 year thru the desert (32 turns) north to found my capital Hiletidae adjacent to the entrance strait to mammoth island. The wisemen said to follow the legend of the mammoth. We cannot conquer the world until We have first conquered mammoth island...

TaylorItaly likes this.
  5. Xenofonex

Xenofonex Chieftain

6. Xenofonex

Xenofonex Chieftain

Well I have wrapped this game up, sometime around the year 7,000 bc. I was in second to last place (a few vassals hd less points than me. I eventuall conquered all the continent I was on, but because of sea squares, it took a long time to meet my neighbors, and when I finally met mongols (never found their sub continent) the had around 7000 points to my 1300. I held out as long as I can but then a message came across saying an unknown barbarian empire had reached the industrial era, and I was just cracking into classical at the time! I assume this was the 'new world' continent across the ocean. Haha the thing that did me in was that the other cultures were so far advanced that they had taken all the cultures and wonders as soon as they became available, and had huge armies and ships circling my continent. I was in an unwinnable (and unendable) war with mongol. Eventually I tricked them into peace by founding a truly terribly placed city (landlocked and with two nearby barbarian cities) and offering it to mongol. They acepted and I was sure this would buy me some time, thinking the barbs would sack their city.

Nope. I looked a few turns later and it was already size 6 with a ton of riflemen!

Then I realized v39 was released and decided to call it. Great, memorable game. I like to believe that when the mongols finally invaded, they would be assimilated into the tengri mammoth riding culture, and Hiletidae will rise again! The turns were about 1 1/2 minutes of waiting so that factored into the decision to quit.

A few notes: OMG there are so many australian animals. I might be exaggerating but it seems like 9/10 game starts are hopping with kangaroos.

Turn length - I love long huge games, but I am going to try standard map size with eternity speed and see if that helps speed up the turn lengths.

I wish there was more time between chaser and tracker. Sometimes I can only build one chaser before I have already learned tracking. Maybe that is changed in v39, I hope i want chaser earlier and tracker later. Hunter seems spaced ok.

I went to a lot of trouble to get mammoths. To the point of a 32 turn hike before founding the first city, and founding my second city in a bad tundra spot adjacent to the mammoth resource. No complaints there, but in all of 193,000 years not a single mammoth ever spawned. I had lookouts watching and waiting nearby the whole time. Dont know why, but it prevented some mammth expansion I would have liked.

I love the size matters mod, but I wonder if it reduces the strategy of gaining unique units, since most units can power up. But then, the most powerful ones can still power up the most so maybe it is ok, and I really loved my huge mammoth units comprised of nine regular units. I also dont understand what size matters uncut means. Should I use it?

7. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Only a suggestion, but perhaps instead of Eternity GS, jump down to Snail (12,000 turns). Suggestion only.

KaTiON_PT likes this.
  8. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Try out MToS, the modmod is only meant for, balanced for, the prehistoric-ancient era, as I haven't had time to get further than that while developing it.
    Huge changes to prehistoric tech tree, I get the feeling you like the early game, so maybe you'll enjoy this modmod.
    Chaser and tracker is spaced further apart in MToS.

KaTiON_PT likes this.
  9. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Chieftain

The modder who contributed this part of the gameplay is from Australia, maybe it's the game paying him homage? :p :wink: :wink: @Dancing Hoskuld
    Please use a faster game speed! Do what Joseph said, I would even go as far as say to try normal.

I know the interest is to take it slowly but with how big this mod is... normal speed would save you countless hours and let you experience the later eras in a sensible amount of time.
    The prehistoric tech tree will be reworked to deal with these and other issues. :)

EDIT: Also try what toffer said! His modmod is very well made and will make the prehistoric era feel better in my opinion.

10. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Slower gamespeeds are recommended with my modmod as later eras are pointless to experience in a substantial modmod that is developed only with a focus on early game (as of yet).

I agree that faster gamespeeds can be very enjoyable if one is interested in playing the later eras.

KaTiON_PT likes this.
  11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Not unless you are attached to the unit strengths as they are in the main mod without SM.

I'm not really a proponent of Eternity games unless you REALLY want the much longer game. I tend to play Marathon these days and enjoy that balance so far.

12. TaylorItaly

TaylorItaly Chieftain

Have you enabled the "Fast AI Turns" in the BUG Options?
    In my current game with Eon speed and Pits Earthmap with 40 civs , EoT time are only seconds.
    Also i recommend https://coderbag.com/product/quickcpu

13. raxo2222

raxo2222 Warlord

Prehistoric era always is fast because everyone have only one city :p

14. TaylorItaly

TaylorItaly Chieftain

But it is anyway faster than my first attempt with C2C and giant map and Eon speed.:thumbsup:

15. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

There is a bug with that message at the moment. It comes up when any barbarian reaches the Era even when a normal nation has already passed it.

What animals you get depend on where on the map you start. It has been divided into six regions and if you are in the south eastern one you get kangaroos. If you are in any of the northern ones you will get mammoths. I too an finding the spawn rate of Mammoths to be a bit low but we have two more types of them to add in so that may solve that issue.

I am currently testing using Noble, Huge, Normal speed. It is surprisingly playable - good work team.

TaylorItaly and Toffer90 like this.
  16. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I always have Fast AI Turns On. Yet on a Standard map, with 7 or 8 AI on Normal (2000 turns) or Long (4000 turns) Game speeds after I get thru the Middle of the Ancient Era the End of Turn (EoT) waits reach 1min 45 secs to 2 minutes.

Since Anq's work the Preh era on these settings was under 1 minute in lare Preh era.

But once the expansion phase kicks in at Tribalism the race to settle by All Players is Full on. If you dawdle you Will be cut off unless you get lucky and get isolated. If you have a neighbor or 3 then the land grab cannot be ignored if you want to stay relevant in an Immortal Difficulty, or even Emperor. Below Emperor the pace is less and it's easy to stay ahead of the AI. Hopefully this too will change a bit. But Deity players really squawk if Deity becomes hard for them. Pride thing I think. Since that is our goal to make the player have to drop a difficulty level or 2. Too long has C2C had to put up with the label of being a cake walk mod.

TaylorItaly likes this.
  17. Xenofonex

Xenofonex Chieftain

I play variable difficulty with nightmare mode, minimum difficulty level emperor. Never won a game heh.

18. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

nightmare mode now only affects deity difficulty, so if you choose lower than deity the nightmare option does nothing at all.

19. Xenofonex

Xenofonex Chieftain

Thanks toffer, I was thinking it would kick in when the variable difficulty reached deity, guess not! ( i look forward to using your prehistoric mod-mod, and love your world generator)

Can anyone comment if "start as minors" and "revolutions" received any love this go around? Would like to use those mods, but not if they hurt the AI too much.

I am moving down from eternity to eon speed and huge to standard size map for the next game.

20. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Oh, right, it does actually kick in if difficulty is changed to deity in a game. ^^

A while ago nightmare mode used to make all difficulties harder, but then it was changed to only make deity harder. I assumed you thought it worked as it used to back in the days.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019