1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama LH

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Jimmyballz, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmyballz

Jimmyballz Executive

Not sure if this is the right subforum, but Pres Obama's LH traits have evolved from the presidential campaign.

Now that he's in office, consider the following:

CHA - obvious, worker production, happiness
    PRO - "buy american" protectionism, increased port security

Fav. Civic - Nationalism (military draft, industry nationalization)
    Fav. Religion - Islam?, None?

-OR-

CHA
    ORG - although seems 'ad hoc' and not too organized

Fav Civic - Free Religion (no state religion)

2. MadmanOfALeader

MadmanOfALeader Deity

Favorite Religion is Christianity! Always has been!

Favorite Civic should probably be Universal Suffrage.

Charismatic is a must.

3. Jimmyballz

Jimmyballz Executive

yep cha a must. he is the epitome of charasmatic :)

universal suffrage? maybe universal corrupt suffrage!! with acorn even mickey mouse was registered:lol:. suffrage rights were never threatened around the time Obama came about. there have been voting problems, but it has not been necessary to address universal suffrage

4. Kornaki

Kornaki Warlord

If his new stimulus package works, he gets the financial trait. Otherwise, charismatic and protective - not because of the reasons you gave for PRO though (port security? Not exactly a big ticket item), but because of his stance in Afghanistan. Maybe that counts as Aggressive though (it's a grey area)

5. Starkow

Starkow Baby Thor

You can't be serious with Islam...

For civic I'd go with emancipation or universal suffrage.

6. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Wealth redistribution =/= a good economy. Gov't overspending was a major problem under the former administration, and for someone purporting change more deficit spending suuuuuuuure looks familiar...but let's put politics aside at least temporarily and go with traits that we've ALREADY SEEN from him:

CHA - Whether you like him or not (I don't), he effectively motivates the masses. It's kind of awkward having so many CHAs with one civ but oh well, that seems to be the leadership style the country favors for its president so I guess it makes sense.

For trait #2, I'd actually give him CRE. His candidacy and so forth can certainly have a cultural feel. He also shows more interest in culture, going so far as to play basketball in a national spotlight and push for playoffs in college football. He's probably one of the more attentive-to-culture guys in his spot we've seen. It would also be one of the current non-existent trait combos.

Favorite civic: US? Emancipation? No. We're looking at Mercantilism. So much talk about keeping jobs in america and protecting interests blah blah blah. Merc is by far the closest civic to that policy, which is currently his most distinctively obvious civic preference in relation to civ IV.

Obama isn't islamic. How about just giving him no preference or christianity? My vote would be none though.

7. IAM

IAM Emperor

I was going to :gripe: when I started reading this tread but I'll just have to concede to TheMeInTeam's well worded points and let it go... Oh man.... P.S. Me thinking "Note to USA gov: you can not solve a debt issue by borrowing more money." :mischief: well I tried.

8. BakingTheArt

BakingTheArt His Evening Coat

I'm not even going to respond to iIslam being his favorite religion. I tend to try to block the idiots out (Note to mods: I'm sorry for the flaming, but really?)

Nationalism because of the draft? You know we're in the process of pulling out in one war, and after we pull out of Iraq, we're using one or two leftover (VOLUNTEER) brigades in Afghanistan. We came closer to the draft under the Bush administration since Vietnam, as close as one of Bush's advisers (Douglas Lute) going on NPR and saying that the draft was "worth considering". And as for the nationalization of industry, the bailout didn't even do that - and that's the closest we've come. Also, remember that John McCain and Bush favored it.

You have to remember how that it's a national economic emergency right now (Hell, beer sales are down - how does that work?), and that now is not the time to spend conservatively. We can work at balancing the budget once we're out of the recession, but we can't just stop spending now - that would be the worst thing for the economy. And however much Bush deficit spent, most of that was going to the war. We're pulling out of Iraq, so that ought to cover at least a bit of it. Definitely not all of it, and the pull out will cost a bit, too, but it's necessary. Really necessary.

Back to the topic of the topic:

Traits: CHA, that's a given. As for the other ones, it would be hard to predict that early in his term. Probably ORG, CRE, or FIN depending on how soon the economy turns around (Within the year, FIN. Within his first term, ORG. Within his second term or the next presidency, CRE). Maybe even PRO, but that's a bit of a stretch.

Fav Civic: The only reason he would have Emancipation is because he's black. The only reason he'd have US is because he's American. I'd rather have something based on what he did - therefore, I'd have to say Mercantilism, Environmentalism (Okay, that's a stretch), or Free Speech. If FDR's favorite civic can be Mercantilism, so can Obama's.

Religion: Christianity.

Personality: Probably someone with a relatively high peace weight, with an emphasis on Science and Wealth, with some wonders and infrastructure built in. He's for renegotiating NAFTA, so he probably wouldn't open borders at Annoyed, maybe even Cautious. At Pleased, though, he could become an amazing Tech trading partner, almost like Mansa, but to a much lesser extreme. Once again, this is based on his first month in office, so this is subject to change.

9. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

Moderator Action: That's the best point in this thread. It is walking a thin line between Civ and Off Topic. Let's keep it on the correct side. :)

10. Bob the Barbari

Bob the Barbari Warlord

As for nationalization of industry it would be State Property, not Nationalism, but I agree with Mercantilism for Obama. Charismatic is obvious but definitely not Financial, no matter how the treating of an already long dead patient called US economy turns out. Creative seems like a good choice thought. Favourite religion christianity. Favors maybe production, growth. Aggresion low. Peace probability 20/70/100/100. Will raze city never (Bush very often). Tech trading averse. Espionage level normal.

When I was browsing through leaders I noticed that if you changed espionage level to high, favourite religion to christianity, different religion to -2 and maximum bonus for same religion to +6 then Ghengis Khan would become George W. Bush.

11. Jimmyballz

Jimmyballz Executive

tnx guys. :)

bob the barari you're right about not using nationalism, my mistake. I will use state property if everything gets nationalized and the redistribution of wealth.

also tnx for pointing out mercantalism meinteam- that civic would go well with PRO, for any LH. Also good idea:goodjob: about CRE for the other trait. extra :culture: seems right too. guess have to wait and see

12. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

The airing of an opinion that differs from yours is not "smearing"; two perfectly rational individuals can looks at the same evidence and draw myriad different conclusions. Differing opinions are the currency in the markeplace of ideas.

13. Roller123

Roller123 Prince

Heh, even if that would be true he will be the last to admit it i guess.

14. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Just make it none. There are many leaders in the game that just pick the default religion associated with a tech or whatever. Obama is Christian, although he's certainly no Izzy. She's a lot hotter, but a smidge more zealous too in my estimation :p.

Wealth redistribution is not unique to Obama, any US president, or even the United States, but it's still going on the the detriment of nations' aggregate well-being. It occurs when tax money is raised for programs that wind up giving benefits/money to people who don't have it/earn it.

When you think about the incentive structure for any democracy as a whole, wealth redistribution isn't surprising - it necessarily wins votes, and the people in charge of it also happen to have power to the extent that being policed, if at all, isn't enough to keep them from shirking on their responsibility. There's not much market discipline in government, where you have no true competitors. Remember this quote in civ?

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except all the others that have been tried". Truer words were never spoken on this matter :p.

So how is that relevant to civ?

Well, no matter how bureaucratically bogged down in unnecessary spending a democratic institution gets, it isn't communist. Its inefficiency can hamper growth to the extent that communism hampers people maybe (I don't know, I'm no PHD economist), but it is not, strictly speaking, "state property". I don't recall Obama (or anybody who was a serious candidate for leadership) being too supportive of government taking over the vast majority of the economy. Inefficiency begets inefficiency, but it doesn't change a constitution by itself!

Give him mercantilism. It truly is the civic most representative of his foreign trade policy, and the one that stands out the greatest of civ options.

An alternative is to just be a total ass, and give him serfdom, ONLY because there are currently 0 leaders in the game that carry that as a favorite civic :lol:.

A slightly lesser case could be made for him favoring bureaucracy, but I don't think it applies as well TBH.

15. Bob the Barbari

Bob the Barbari Warlord

Moderator Action: Deleted. An interesting post, but it belongs in Off Topic. IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS POLITICS, TAKE IT TO OFF TOPIC. This thread is for leaderhead discussion.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

PS: Bob, If you want the post info, I still have it backed up, and can PM it to you.

16. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

I haven't infracted anybody yet, but I've deleted some posts, and others are very borderline. If you don't want this thread locked, take the political discussion to Off Topic.

17. Kiwi Tyrant

Kiwi Tyrant Evil Jollification

From my wee isolated island in the south Pacific, I see Obama as having the CHA & ORG traits. From a far away, unbiased viewpoint, he comes across as definitely charismatic. But I feel he's got the organized trait as he has inherited a complete mess and is taking step's to sort it out; such as getting the bureaucracy on The Hill under control, reallocating money to make expenditure more efficient etc.

Ideally he'd start with the Charismatic & Organized (Adaptive). Yeah, I know it's a FFH2 trait, but hey, it suits what I've seen from him so far IMO. And after his first 100 turns, he would change the Adaptive trait to Financial.....if it all works out for him! ;)

18. IAM

IAM Emperor

complete mess YES

taking steps to sort it out. NO. In civ 4 if you are running a deficit then you do whatever it takes to fix your economy. Spending more money does not fix the economy. The possible exception is if you are running universal sufferage but the American economy does not have gold to buy banks etc. IT IS FUQD.

I have used universal sufferage to good effects but only when I was running financal trait or had captured a holy shrine... hey wait maybe we should capture Rome or Jerusalem... no hold on Jerusalem should be the target they have multiple religious shrines.

19. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I would go for financial. After all, IMO one of the main reasons he was elected was because of his economic credentials, and most of what he has done so far has been economic. Therefore I would say that financial would be a given for him. And, of course, charismatic.

Favourite civic- Free Speech? Or perhaps Free Religion? Maybe even Universal Suffrage.

20. airforceWLF

airforceWLF Chieftain

My friend you have it backwards.

Israel has captured the US, and is merely buying its way through with the massive income of its general Abrahamic holy city complete with 3 shrines. They run US, and by that I mean the us, the U.S. and universal suffrage. All while running mercantilism. Giving them access to all American cities as well the guilt trip they have over all of Europe. Hell they might get a domination by the time i pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.