Obama or McCain

Who should be the next President of the US?

• Obama (I live in the US)

Votes: 50 33.3%
  • Obama (I live outside the US)

Votes: 48 32.0%
  • McCain (I live in the US)

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • McCain (I live outside the US)

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Third Party (I live in the US) Please specify the Candidate

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Third Party (I live outside the US) Please specify the Candidate

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Total voters
Why is that?

Don't even bother mentioning the administration or anyone that has nothing to do with McCain.

The party as a whole is a failure. McCain, between immigration policy and the first amendment, among other things, has done more than enough to incur my wrath. Now, for Republicans in general to nominate him for President? Good day.

Obama and I live in the United States. No way am I voting for McCain and Bush's Third Term.

Vote downtown

It's the only way out

What is this, the 59th election poll we have had?

Obama and I live in the United States. No way am I voting for McCain and Bush's Third Term.

No matter who wins, Bush is not getting a third term.

It's like some people want to paint McCain as Bush, so they can actually beat 'Bush' in an election.

No matter who wins, Bush is not getting a third term.

It's like some people want to paint McCain as Bush, so they can actually beat 'Bush' in an election.

Typically when people compare McCain to a third Bush term, they are publicly demonstrating their complete lack of political savvy and knowledge of the issue. So easy to repeat a one liner every day...and always the sign of a weak mind.

Fact is, John McCain is not very much like Bush. John McCain is not extremely popular within his own party. He has been in the middle for most of his life.

I should know...he's been in my Arizona Republic newspapers since Barry Goldwater served.

~Chris

Obviously McCain and Bush aren't the same. The Democrats are just trying to run against Bush, which, since nobody likes him, is probably good strategy. McCain's policies are more similar to Bush's than Obama's are, though, so there's at least a grain of truth to it (i.e., a vote for Obama is closer to a vote against Bush than a vote for McCain is).

What I find interesting is that for the first time in my life, Democrats are actually trying to play the Republicans' game. Al Gore was a snooty exaggerator, John Kerry was a French flip-flopper, &c. "McSame" is no more dishonest than the Republican talking-point-of-the-week, which was "elitist," then moved to "presumptuous," and will soon end up on "celebrity." (It's no coincidence that the rise of the "elitist" talking points occurred when John McCain picked up Karl Rove's operators to help his campaign.)

Until the media actually start doing their jobs and reporting on issues and how candidates' policies will affect voters' lives, I guess I can't blame the Democrats. If the media are going to report "Some say that [Candidate X] is [perjorative Y]. Will the charges stick?" instead of important things, both sides might as well play the game instead of just one. This stupid conception of "balance" sucks for democracy, but until the rules change at least the Democrats won't cede that ground to the Republicans.

Cleo

what I can´t understand when it comes to american politics, is that you vote for a president and NOT a party... you say now that McCain isn´t Bush in terms of politic agenda, but their still in the same party... does that mean that the party don´t have an agenda, it´s all in the candidates hands???

this is also why I don´t like the two party system that is US today... it leaves very little room for diversity in politics... and it all comes to what candidate have the greatest charisma (even though bush had made his best to make me wonder :D)...

well... my only hopes is that whom ever wins the elections, is a leader that wants peace and dialouge before war and threats... The US have lost almost all of it´s sympathy and credibility in the world since 9/11 and needs to be trusted once more... The lies about the weapons of mass destruction, the invasion of Iraq, the execution of Saddam before all of the charges was judged and executed, Guantanamo, warmongering threats on Iran, planting distrust in many countries in the world, und so weiter und so weiter....

Bush is the worst thing that has happened to this world since WWII IMHO... the US is considered to be a monster in many countries, even some that beforehand supported US in their struggle against terrorism... now US is actually MAKING terrorists with their foreign politics... all thanks to Bush...

then again... I am against war in all forms, and that has mayhaps coloured my opinion about the Bush regime... but all in all, I haven´t seen anything positive with his terms of office...

PS if I have gone too far in any way and if some of you feel that I have offended you in any way because of my words, I am sorry, but an opinion is an opinion... I will not change it just because anyone would be hurt, but I do feel sorry if my opinion hurt anyone in anyway...

I think McCain is being unfairly tarnished as some sort of elitist by some. For example, I heard that the McCains purchased two separate $4.7 million dollar condos in San Diego for their own enjoyment. The truth was that the combined cost of the two condos was $4.7 millon, and one of them was for the kids. I also heard he spends $50,000 a year on shoes which seems kind of improbable given that at the top end that has been documented, he only spends $520 for a pair.

If anything preacher, McCain's nomination is a shift in the Republican base. Evangelicals and the like are shifting towards outside the main base, and more moderate members are starting to become a vocal point. The shift certainly is not complete. Whether this continues or not, I do not know. If McCain loses, it will probably shift back towards authoritarianism.

Zarn,

Actually, I don't see McCain as a shift away from authoritarianism. On the rule of law, torture, government surveillance, and militarism, McCain is as authoritarian as the Bush administration. I could certainly imagine some things changing in the shift from the Bush administration to a McCain administration, but the authoritarianism isn't one of those things.

Cleo

McCain- Gay rights up to the states
Bush- Amendment to define marriage as between a man and woman only
Libertarian or Liberal- Homosexual marriage is okay

McCain- Guantanamo (sp?) should be humane/ Torture is wrong
Bush- Torture has its uses (prevent terrorist attack)
Libertarian or Liberal- Close Guantanamo down/ Torture is wrong

He certainly has some moderate stances.

I don't like Mccain, but his performance in SNL was hilariously witty (federal gaydar blocker project -- lol). At least he would be more charismatic than the current president, which matters very little substantively unfortunately.

Zarn,

Well, McCain talks big on the torture issue, but he voted to strip courts of jurisdiction regarding claims of torture, essentially legalizing it. To me, this falls into the same category as Obama saying he's against warrantless wiretapping and telecom immunity while voting for them. I want to see the actual laws the candidate supports.

The gay marriage amendment is a good point. On some social / cultural issues, he's to the left of Bush. But on legal, civil liberties, and government power issues, he's every bit as authoritarian as the Bush administration.

Cleo

To me, this falls into the same category as Obama saying he's against warrantless wiretapping and telecom immunity while voting for them.

The dems did that as a political manuever.
It's an election year and they don't want to appear weak on terror. Think of the field day McCain would have if Obama HAD voted against the wiretapping. It would be a pretty big weapon in the Republican mudslinging arsenal.

The dems did that as a political manuever.
It's an election year and they don't want to appear weak on terror. Think of the field day McCain would have if Obama HAD voted against the wiretapping. It would be a pretty big weapon in the Republican mudslinging arsenal.
McCain didn't even bother to show up and vote either way. In fact, the money that McCain has "earned" in Senate salary since he last showed up and voted is higher than the annual salary for a typical hardworking American.

Top Bottom