Obama or McCain

Who should be the next President of the US?

• Obama (I live in the US)

Votes: 50 33.3%
  • Obama (I live outside the US)

Votes: 48 32.0%
  • McCain (I live in the US)

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • McCain (I live outside the US)

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Third Party (I live in the US) Please specify the Candidate

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Third Party (I live outside the US) Please specify the Candidate

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Total voters
The dems did that as a political manuever.
It's an election year and they don't want to appear weak on terror. Think of the field day McCain would have if Obama HAD voted against the wiretapping. It would be a pretty big weapon in the Republican mudslinging arsenal.

I agree that was their thought process, but I think they were wrong for three reasons:

#1, I don't believe that it would have hurt Democrats. It's not a political negative to stand up to the Bush administration.

#2, I think it actually hurts Democrats when they do this, because they try to look "strong" on national security by stating principles and then abandoning them to the Republicans out of fear that they'll appear "weak." When really, I'd assert, they look "weak" by giving in to all of President Bush's demands.

#3, I think it's stupid (some might say, "weak") to try to govern on the basis of how your political opponents will attack you. What's more, their opponents are Republicans -- they're going to attack them for being "weak" whatever they do. It doesn't matter. Get ahead of the issue and stand for something (unless, as I'm sure is the case with some of the Democrats, they just want more government surveillance power).

Cleo

No matter who wins, Bush is not getting a third term.
Only on a technicality of the US Constitution (Which Bush conveniently loves to ignore by sacrificing our liberties for security a-la 1984 Orwellian Dystopia).

and more moderate members are starting to become a vocal point.
That is hard to believe, The Republicans will always and continue to deny moderates and liberal leaning Republicans a vocal point!

If McCain loses, it will probably shift back towards authoritarianism.
It's already within the authoritarianism sector.

He certainly has some moderate stances.
McCain Moderate? Please. He is as conservative as Bush and the other Republicans.

CG, do you ever add anything besides what other people say?

CivGeneral said:
McCain Moderate? Please. He is as conservative as Bush and the other Republicans.

CG, what are you talking about? Check your facts before you listen to your friends on the playground. McCain is not even in the same ballpark as Bush on many issues, including some of the most divisive.

You have access to the internet; use it!

~Chris

CG, what are you talking about? Check your facts before you listen to your friends on the playground. McCain is not even in the same ballpark as Bush on many issues, including some of the most divisive.

I know exactly what I am talking about. McCain not even in the same ballpark as Bush? Please, throw me a freeking bone here. McCain wants us to stay in the unjustified war in Iraq that we had no bussiness to belong in the first place while at the same hand ignoring Afganistan with a resurgence of the Taliban!

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!

"HOPE! CHANGE! ALL CHANGE IS GOOD! YES WE CAN! I have nothing substantial to say! They're going to tell you I'm too young, they're going to tell you...eh...he's got a funny name!............Did I mention he's black? Oh yeah, HOPE! And CHANGE! And WE CAN...do...whatever..." (General paraphrase from Obama, and he has said it on several occasions).

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!

Seriously, its like E! Entertainment with the news these days. Reasons why I won't vote for Both Ways Barack: (1) keeps playing the race card, (2) higher taxes = bad, (3) redistribution of wealth is un-American, not Capitalist (And I would benefit from that more than anything! I'm a poor graduate assistant!) (3) full withdrawal from Iraq (this needs to be done in time. We ARE fighting terrorists in Iraq, and that's better than fighting them here), (4) radical associates (Wright and now... LUDACRIS! What an idiot), (5) no offshore drilling (the solution to this "energy crisis" is pretty obvious to me: why don't we exercise ALL of our capability as a nation? Oil, coal, solar, wind, nuclear). So on, so on.

Problem is McCain isn't a GREAT choice either. He definately isn't a conservative (remember the Freudian slip? "I am a strong liberal...er, conservative Republican..." HAHAHA). He is all for global warming (i.e. slowing down our growth so other nations can catch up, pollute, etc...).

Both Ways Barack scares me though. Not nearly as much as the Robot (Clinton) did, but enough to make it hard for me to consider him in the election. I'm going to be watching close; maybe he will change my mind. He has such an outstanding appeal to youths, people who don't take the time to pay attention, and to people that want the government to bail them out of their stupid decisions.

Honestly, with a handful of exceptions, McCain is quite conservative. Pro-life, pro-executive power, pro-war, he's said he'd nominate Justices like Roberts and Alito, among the most conservative ever to serve on the Court, he's now taken positions that are more conservative economically, opposed to national healthcare. Other than opposing a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage (though he thinks states can deny gay marriage if they choose) and campaign finance reform, he's a pretty standard conservative. Maybe he's not conservative on immigration, to the extent you can define "liberal" and "conservative" positions on that issue anyway.

Cleo

(5) no offshore drilling (the solution to this "energy crisis" is pretty obvious to me.
Offshore drilling wont do anything in the short term any way. It wont effect the price of oil since there is time to prospect the site, time to construct the rig, time to tow the rig to the site, and time to drill the site. Which, depending on weather and hurricanes, can take months or years before an offshore rig can start pumping out oil.

I have my issues with Obama but I have decided I'll support him. Certainly not as liberal as I would like, couldn't even find his stance on gay marriage on his website.

I have my issues with Obama but I have decided I'll support him. Certainly not as liberal as I would like, couldn't even find his stance on gay marriage on his website.
Well, he did voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment and called for the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act. Also do note that he wishes to have the issue of homosexual marriage/civil unions left for the states to decide.

Well, he did voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment and called for the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act. Also do note that he wishes to have the issue of homosexual marriage/civil unions left for the states to decide.

Well my belief is it should be legal, period, across the board. Its like if Obama said the sates can choose what rights they give to blacks.

Dubzilla8 said:
(1) keeps playing the race card
While I can't say I approve of this either, I hardly would hold it against him. Hillary kept playing the female card, and McCain keeps playing the experience card.

Dubzilla8 said:
(2) higher taxes = bad
Unless you make over $150,000 a year, you should not see a noticeable increase in your taxes. If you make under $80,000 a year, your taxes should actually lower. In my opinion, this is much better then McCain's tax cuts across the board. The rich don't need more tax cuts.
Dubzilla8 said:
(3) redistribution of wealth is un-American, not Capitalist (And I would benefit from that more than anything! I'm a poor graduate assistant!)
Not exactly sure what your saying here, but I think the wealth distribution as it stands is inane and needs to be balanced. Ever hear of the 20/80 statistics?

Dubzilla8 said:
(3) full withdrawal from Iraq (this needs to be done in time. We ARE fighting terrorists in Iraq, and that's better than fighting them here)
Two threes? Anyway, Iraq doesn't really have much to do with terrorists. The insurgents in Iraq don't have the resources to attack us here, their whole arsenal comes from Saddam's weapon stashes that we left behind instead of confiscating them. The ones that attacked us originally were under Osama, who hid in Afghanistan. The insurgents in Iraq are a different bunch.
Dubzilla8 said:
(4) radical associates (Wright and now... LUDACRIS! What an idiot),
Erm... Okay, I'll give you this one. He did cut ties with Wright though.
Dubzilla8 said:
(5) no offshore drilling (the solution to this "energy crisis" is pretty obvious to me: why don't we exercise ALL of our capability as a nation? Oil, coal, solar, wind, nuclear).
Offshore drilling is NOT the answer to our crisis. While gas prices are rising, oil companies are pulling in record profits. No, the energy crisis is a social one, and needs to be addressed as such.

Seriously, its like E! Entertainment with the news these days.
Yeah, did you see that silly campaign commercial featuring Britney Spears and Paris Hilton?
Reasons why I won't vote for Both Ways Barack: (1) keeps playing the race card,
Actually it's simpletons for McCain playing the "playing the race card" card.

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!

"HOPE! CHANGE! ALL CHANGE IS GOOD! YES WE CAN! I have nothing substantial to say! They're going to tell you I'm too young, they're going to tell you...eh...he's got a funny name!............Did I mention he's black? Oh yeah, HOPE! And CHANGE! And WE CAN...do...whatever..." (General paraphrase from Obama, and he has said it on several occasions).

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!

Seriously, its like E! Entertainment with the news these days. Reasons why I won't vote for Both Ways Barack: (1) keeps playing the race card, (2) higher taxes = bad, (3) redistribution of wealth is un-American, not Capitalist (And I would benefit from that more than anything! I'm a poor graduate assistant!) (3) full withdrawal from Iraq (this needs to be done in time. We ARE fighting terrorists in Iraq, and that's better than fighting them here), (4) radical associates (Wright and now... LUDACRIS! What an idiot), (5) no offshore drilling (the solution to this "energy crisis" is pretty obvious to me: why don't we exercise ALL of our capability as a nation? Oil, coal, solar, wind, nuclear). So on, so on.

Problem is McCain isn't a GREAT choice either. He definately isn't a conservative (remember the Freudian slip? "I am a strong liberal...er, conservative Republican..." HAHAHA). He is all for global warming (i.e. slowing down our growth so other nations can catch up, pollute, etc...).

Both Ways Barack scares me though. Not nearly as much as the Robot (Clinton) did, but enough to make it hard for me to consider him in the election. I'm going to be watching close; maybe he will change my mind. He has such an outstanding appeal to youths, people who don't take the time to pay attention, and to people that want the government to bail them out of their stupid decisions.

McCain is liberal like Stalin was a capitalist :lol:

Look at his stances. Overall, he is a very conservative politician.

Continually,

On issue 1: Obama has never once "played the race card."

On issue 2: You won't get higher taxes unless you get like $75,000 or more or like $100,000 per household.

On issue 3: Obama n'est pas for "redistribution of income." He wants us to have a progressive tax system. That's it.

On issue pi ;) : The insurgents in Iraq could not attack us if they tried. Continually, if we leave, a Shia state will probably arise which will not permit Al-Qaeda, a Sunni organization.

On issue 4: Wow. I have some crazy friends. Does that make me crazy? Continually, my priest says stuff I would never condone. That doesn't make me agree with him.

On issue 5: The answer to our energy crisis is wind, solar, hydro, geo.

Top Bottom