Obama Plays Race Card, Urges African Americans to Support His Campaign

No, your point was pretty much complete tripe in and of itself. I just said that it wasn't irrelevant, in the sense that it was indeed pertinent to the topic at hand. The comment about your avatar was my roundabout way of suggesting that I doubt you'd be able to elevate it much above the level of tripe, or to recognise why it was tripe in the first place; a sort of "abandon hope all ye who enter here" to anyone who thought about contesting it.

Surely you can say why my point was tripe with reasoning other than my avatar.

I think he's saying that it struck him as stupid independent of your avatar, and your avatar made him doubtful you'd be able to defend it. I think others in the thread have exposed the problem with your reasoning pretty well already.

Come now, mein gut, linking to youtube to express a [vulgar] ululation seems so...juvenile. I'd have much more respect for you if you stated it directly.
Come on #nes and I will.

I think he's saying that it struck him as stupid independent of your avatar, and your avatar made him doubtful you'd be able to defend it. I think others in the thread have exposed the problem with your reasoning pretty well already.
Got it in one. This was dealt with very aptly by other posters before either me or Oldschooler opened our gobs.

Spoiler :
"white americans" do not tend to vote a political block. African Americans do. There are plenty of other ways that Republicans play to campaign nearly exclusively to white people without actually saying "white people".

I don't see anything wrong with this ad at all. Obviously Obama wants white people to vote for him too....given the emotional impact his presidency has with the black community though, its easy to see why he wants to keep them engaged. He needs them to knock doors and make phone calls this year.
Whats the issue? Every single politician wants people who are similar to them to vote for them. Romney campaigns for the Mormon vote. Gingrich has tried to stake out the Southern Vote. If "the white vote" actually existed, people would go after it. It doesn't.

Obama hasn't framed the election as white vs black. He obviously isn't neglecting the interests and attentions of white voters, or any other color of voter. What, do you think if Obama doesn't make this video, the black vote goes 50-50 to the country club guy?

Non white voters have tended to congregate with the Democratic party because the Republicans put them there.
Obama is simply appealing to a known voting block. It is no different than appealing to Catholics, Protestants, dog-lovers, crazy cat ladies, or fans of interwar German cinema. As dt has said, there isn't really a 'white voting block' in the same way there is a 'black voting block'. Every Democratic candidate tries to court the 'black voting block' in the same way every Republican candidate tries to court the 'religious voting block'. Is the Republican candidate trying to heighten religious tension by courting that voting block?
If somebody explicitly said "I'm making a play for the white vote", then I would think that was an awfully clumsy and stupid politician, because there isn't a white vote.

Got it in one. This was dealt with very aptly by other posters before either me or Oldschooler opened our gobs.

Spoiler :

I backtracked as well as saw your spoiler tag, and there was no direct response to my original statement from anyone. So I'll repost it:

Yes there is a double standard here. If any of the republicans said "whites for us" there would indeed be an uproar. In fact in the 2008 Democratic primaries there were media complaints of voters in West Virginia voting for Hilary "only based on race" even though there were plenty of African Americans voting for Obama only on race across the board.

And yes, this is true. The media was furious at some white west virginia voters for voting "only on race" despite the fact that many of the African Americans in the democratic primary were also voting for Obama over Hilary mainly on race...

I think it is wrong for white people to vote for Hilary over Obama only on race, but it's equally wrong for black people to vote for Obama over Hilary only on race. I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of double standards.

As to what you think of Winston Churchill, I really couldn't care less.

You should really drop the 88 from your username though, it's neo-nazi code for Heil Hitler (H is the 8th letter of the alphabet). Much like combat 18 is code for Adolf Hitler.

I backtracked as well as saw your spoiler tag, and there was no direct response to my original statement from anyone. So I'll repost it:

Yes there is a double standard here. If any of the republicans said "whites for us" there would indeed be an uproar. In fact in the 2008 Democratic primaries there were media complaints of voters in West Virginia voting for Hilary "only based on race" even though there were plenty of African Americans voting for Obama only on race across the board.

And yes, this is true. The media was furious at some white west virginia voters for voting "only on race" despite the fact that many of the African Americans in the democratic primary were also voting for Obama over Hilary mainly on race...

I think it is wrong for white people to vote for Hilary over Obama only on race, but it's equally wrong for black people to vote for Obama over Hilary only on race. I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of double standards.

As to what you think of Winston Churchill, I really couldn't care less.

Republicans often do say "whites for us". They just coach it in less direct language.

A swing and a miss (the point).

You're conflating voting based on racial preferences with voting based on which candidate is least likely to screw over your already marginalised ethnic group, when the two are in fact very different. So, like I said, tripe.

Steel-toed oppression of white men must end. We already know about Obama's death camps for whites, now he's gone too far!

The right panders to whites constantly, I'm not sure what the big deal is. Except, of course, the end of hegemony forcing a strange sense of vertigo on those so used to white male privilege.

I can only hope you use that phrase in jest

You should really drop the 88 from your username though, it's neo-nazi code for Heil Hitler (H is the 8th letter of the alphabet). Much like combat 18 is code for Adolf Hitler.

My first private message on this forum was from a white supremist who asked me if I was one because of my user name. I told him no and he got mad... lol

I couldn't care less if it's neo nazi code. Nazis can't copyright the number 88.

You're conflating voting based on racial preferences with voting based on which candidate is least likely to screw over your already marginalised ethnic group, when the two are in fact very different. So, like I said, tripe.

If you could say something of more substance rather than a combination of meaningless big words, you would have a valid point.

I detect a bit of floccinaucinihilipilification there.

If you could say something of more substance rather than a combination of meaningless big words, you would have a valid point.

Conflating? Marginalized? How long are your standards here?

Conflating? Marginalized? How long are your standards here?

Yes indeed. Anyway, I don't see which of the two ethnic groups are "marginalized". As for ethnic groups being different? If they were the same, they'd be the same ethnic group! This does not justify a double standard between ethnic groups.

Top Bottom