1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama sends War Authorization Proposal To Congress

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gucumatz, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Anything that grants the office of the president authority for military operations that extends beyond Obama's term is a decidedly stupid idea. While I am confident Obama will not do anything heinous or stupid or both, expecting the American people not to repeat their error and elect a GWBush is foolish.

3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Well Hillary is clearly going to be the Prez until 2024 no matter who gets the Republican nomination... Not that this guarantees anything, as Hillary is kind of a war-hawk herself.

I know this is a tired cliché but I am reminded of 1984... The War is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous.:( After ISIS is dead there will be some new enemy to go after...

And This Congress would not grant President Obama the authority to blow his nose. If President Obama announced that he wanted to cut the capital gains tax to 2% and double the capacity of the Keystone XL pipeline the House would vote it down.:thumbsdown: :lol:

4. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Obama should have gotten everything he wanted by now just by proposing the opposite of what he wanted.

5. NetGear

NetGear King

theyre arent doing the opposite of what he suggests. theyre just going farther right once they see him giving in. so obama just needs to go so far right that they cant out right him and it will be GG.

time to execute some jews obama.

6. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

Six years overdue, but it's the thought that counts, I guess. Unless he's doing it so whatever Democrat is running in 2016 can blame the ISIS-invasion debacle on the Republican-led Congress.

I may be too cynical,but when it comes to DC, it never hurts.

7. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Yep. It's inevitable. Camp Roberts in California picked up activity immensely a few months ago so I've been expecting it since. Last time it was this busy it was a year or two before The Surge.

8. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

But does he have a valid Casus Belli?

9. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

They're called ISIS and they're The Bad Guys™, so I guess because it'd be totally awesome?

10. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

Well, by the looks of it, they have the appropriate techs for Imperialism CB. Plus the appropriate government type.

11. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

This could be good news, but only if whoever enters the White House when Obama leaves is open to working with the good guy, Assad.

12. Sommerswerd

Pres. Obama has already declared that he has the necessary authorization to make war on ISIS based on the original 9-11 Afghan/Iraq War authorizations...:smug:

So maybe this "request for authorization" is just another elaborate ruse in a long line of his elaborate ruses to basically call Congress' bluff and make them the heavy. I feel like he does this all the time... Congress complains that he won't do X, or that he is doing X the wrong way, so then (knowing they're incapable of passing any meaningful laws) he asks them to pass a law to do X, thus denying them any moral high ground to complain... they still complain mind you, but then they just look like @$$es, complaining about something that is actually their own fault.

Then he announces that until they pass said law he will use his "executive powers" to just do it anyway...works every time... like Colt 45 Malt liquor[pimp]

13. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Working with a ruthless Middle East dictator that has used WMDs on hes own people. Engages in torture and supports Islamic groups (Hezbollah). Third times the charm. :mischief:
    Thought knowing Republicans, they will support this move, having conveniently forgotten why they invaded Iraq in the first place and all the problems that birthed from that failed military adventure.

14. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Time to dust off the late 90s talking points:

"You can support the troops but not the president."
    --Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"Well, I just think it's a bad idea. What's going to happen is they're going to be over there for 10, 15, maybe 20 years."
    --Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

"Explain to the mothers and fathers of American servicemen that may come home in body bags why their son or daughter have to give up their life?"
    --Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/6/99

"[The] President . . . is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation's armed forces about how long they will be away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy."
    --Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA)

"American foreign policy is now one huge big mystery. Simply put, the administration is trying to lead the world with a feel-good foreign policy."
    --Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain they have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy."
    --Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of George W Bush

"I had doubts about the bombing campaign from the beginning . . I didn't think we had done enough in the diplomatic area."
    --Senator Trent Lott (R-MS)

"I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarified rules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our over-extended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today"
    --Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is."
    --Governor George W. Bush (R-TX)

15. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

How about the other party?

Central and West Africa is really was not close to parallel, so your quotes fall flat.

J

16. Sommerswerd

Don't forget Kosovo! That was going on in 1999 too right?

17. kramerfan86

kramerfan86 Deity

They should vote this down, make him come out and declare exactly what he wants. None of this generic language that authorizes anything from air strikes to invasion.

18. Sommerswerd

They won't vote him down, that's what he wants. He does not want another war, but he does not want Congress to be able to accuse him of being "weak on terrorism."

Congress does not want to approve another war because there is no political benefit, but they can't vote it down either, because then they lose the ability to call the President "weak."

So what will probably happen next is they will form dozens of committees and hold endless "hearings" and "debates" and "talks" without ever actually voting up-or-down on the war.

Once Hillary gets in she will give them their war, but only in her second term when there is no political risk. Then Romney will be able to run on how the Obama-Clinton legacy let ISIS emerge and then did too little too late to stop them from becoming powerful, so now we need him to "fix it" and that is how Romney (or some other Republican) wins in 2024...

19. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

What he wants is another capture of Osama bin Laden.

J

20. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Hawks4life

Hillary being the president until 2024 is far from guaranteed.