1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama's Speech Today

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nihilistic, Mar 18, 2008.

1. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

There are two actually, one working for him and one working against him.

I think he'd love nothing more than to be held to the same standards as all other candidates, but unfortunately American society (and well, all western societies really) aren't ready to do that yet.

2. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Then why did you bring them up?

Again, which Republican presidential candidates are 20 year members of Falwell or Robertson's churches, dedicated a book outlining their political philosophy to either, or had either officially represent their campaign?

3. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Squared

A wonderful speech. I'm still wondering why preaching hate against white America is acceptable to Obama. Twenty years, says it is. Is it a black thing? What am I missing here?

4. CamBot

CamBot I lurk, therefore I am..

Go back and read my posts. Where did I bring up other candidates? I was talking about fervor among conservatives in general wrt to the pastor's comments, and it's inherent hypocrisy

What difference does it make? So the fact that there are no current Republican candidates in a similar circumstance mean that I'm disallowed to point out the utter hypocrisy of the Right as a whole in matters like these?

It's irrevelant to the entire issue of the Republican party's looong-standing association with, and accomodation of, similar extremist wingnuts, and their looong history of refusing to stand up to them and disavow. But when the shoe's now on the other foot, they're foaming at the mouth.

And at least Obama had the balls to confront it head-on, even if it wasn't perfectly satisfactorily

5. Arwon

Arwon

Sure as hell beats talking in code words designed to scare people about Angry Black Men (TM).

6. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

I didnt see this mentioned, but Huckabee came out today and basically said that the whole pastor thing is silly.

"[Y]ou can't hold the candidate responsible for everything that people around him may say or do," Huckabee says. "It's interesting to me that there are some people on the left who are having to be very uncomfortable with what ... Wright said, when they all were all over a Jerry Falwell, or anyone on the right who said things that they found very awkward and uncomfortable, years ago. Many times those were statements lifted out of the context of a larger sermon. Sermons, after all, are rarely written word for word by pastors like Rev. Wright, who are delivering them extemporaneously, and caught up in the emotion of the moment. There are things that sometimes get said, that if you put them on paper and looked at them in print, you'd say 'Well, I didn't mean to say it quite like that.'"

Later, he defended Wright's anger, too:

"As easy as it is for those of us who are white to look back and say 'That's a terrible statement!' ... I grew up in a very segregated South. And I think that you have to cut some slack — and I'm gonna be probably the only conservative in America who's gonna say something like this, but I'm just tellin' you — we've gotta cut some slack to people who grew up being called names..."

That Huckabee understands how silly the manufactured controversy was should speak volumes.

7. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

I have a much larger amount of respect for Huckabee now.

8. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

Wow, even Huckabee is smart enough to see through this media veil, that shows how stupid the American population is. Just give them a little hint and they'll all be guided to the same area. If Hitlary was all of a suddon a lesbian, her ratings would plummit. If McCain was once a hippy his ratings would die. If Obama was a Black Panther he would drop out in a heartbeat.

9. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

Huckabee always struck me as a reasonable man, and on this subject we even agree. I have a feeling he has something on tape he doesn't want interpreted too literally though.;)

Black people who grew up in the first 3/4 of the 20th century have every reason to call white people who also fall into that age group many derogatory things. The entire society was at fault, not just the few who committed blatant violations of the rights granted to all citizens under our Constitution. Forgiveness for such crimes does not and should not come easily, and the path to salvation requires recognition of one's sins.

And for those of you who don't think racism is much of an issue any more, I point you to many of the comments posted here. The relative anonymity of the internet really brings out the worst in Fox News' client base...

10. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

Yes, but if black people do, doesn't that kind of destroy the whole point of Obama message of hope and change?

If we just hold them to that standard, then we are certainly not moving past race.

That view is just as extreme as white racial supremecy. Can you imagine the fallout Clinton or McCain would have if they were caught attending a white supremecy church for 20 years, wrote their book based on those ideas and called the white supremecy pastor their "spiritual guide"?

11. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

Just because you like to imagine a world with children of all races loving one another while you drop your kids of at a 94% white school, doesn't mean that you can discount what has happended in America from 1495-1970. It's impossible, white people should be happy that most Africans currently residing in America don't know as much about history as I do, unless there would be even more animosity and hatred.

12. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

Oh come on. Go to any internet site that allows comments, from Fox News to Youtube to the Huffington Post - and you'll find tons of morons spamming the comments section. A lot aren't serious, and those that are aren't representative of anything besides idiots.

I don't watch Fox News, but saying commenters on their website is at all representative of their "client base" is like saying this thread represents fans of Sid Meier's games. It's dumb.

13. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

There is a difference, you appearently can't see that considering that you have your mind full of really bad comparisons. Have white people been subjegated to living like animals for over three-hundred years? Has your continent been invaded and had it's resources raped from right under them. Have you been the victim of institutionalized racism for the past one-hundred-fifty years? I didn't think so. You get to live in your perfect suburbs, then beat up some Latino, Black, or Asian guy in the middle of the night

14. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

Unfortunately, black people are just as much under the law as anyone else. But if African Americans will continue to approach things in the way wright is preaching them, things aren't going to move forward and the country will always be divided. Discrimination will always continue as long as they have these views.

Because hell to most people, the thought is "If they hate us, why don't we hate them." Makes sense doesn't it?

I'm indifferent either way since I'm not black or white but all people need to be held to the same standard, no excuses.

Yes, actually I'm Chinese, and my continent has been raped, pillaged, by a plethora of American, Japanese, and European Conquerers, yet I still Reject and Denounce any remarks that spew hate towards those races.

15. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

You're joking, right? :lol:

16. eyrei

That isn't what anyone is saying. The point is that a few pissed off sermons doesn't make him a racist militant. He has reason to be pissed...our society treated him like crap for most of his life based on the color of his skin. White people can't make that claim so everything is not equal to make your comparison.

He is being caricatured(sp?) by those who are unwilling to accept certain parts of the history of the 20th century. Most intelligent people will come to realize this if we can actually get to the point of discussion rather than ranting.

17. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

No, not really.

18. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

My point exactly.

19. Norseone

Norseone Emperor

But he probably is a racist militant..honored Farrakahn and visited Gadafi...stuff like that

20. eyrei

Show me the specifics of that, please.