1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama's Speech Today

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nihilistic, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

Where did this militancy come from then?

I don't consider them militants because compared to NeoNazis and other racist groups they just talk, with no action. As long as you don't go killing or intimidating people, I consider it ok, maybe not right but it's ok. Unlike some people who like to put funny symbols on gravestones.

2. Norseone

Norseone Emperor

gravestones? wha? :confused:

3. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

Appearantly Neo-Nazis only vandalize Jewish gravestones in my area.

4. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

What's funny is that I'd say this is the source of most black racism towards whites.

5. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

For the most part I agree. I wasn't really using it to discuss Fox...rather it was just a good example of racist comments that I came across today.

I'm still halfway convinced the supposed endorsement from the article was fabricated and then reported to Fox.

6. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

Well duh. Why else would black people hate white people, you guys have no resources we want, and most of us are just nice people. I said MOST o.k. don't give me gangster crap, it's not the community's fault that they have no way to keep impressionable men off the streets.

7. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

Well, you're not defensive at all. :p

OK, here's the thing: most people hate stupid people, and like smart people. Don't act ********, and most people will like you - and the ones that don't like you because of your skin color aren't worth knowing. But go around all pissy like this, and you'll make even the non-racists mad at you. It's pointless.

Here you go, then: Wright went on a trip to Libya with Louis Farrakhan, to visit with Qaddafi. He also gave Farrakhan, of Nation of Islam fame, an award which says that the recipient "truly epitomizes greatness".

8. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

Unfortunately, for Barack whose running on "Old vs. New", "Past vs. Future" and change, his actions here of sitting in that church for 20 years listening to sermons(of which those tapes were not isolated incidences) of that type does not exemplify his message. His actions simply contradict all those fancy speeches he made earlier and thus, he has no credibility is asking people to "put the past behind" and "look to the future", because the person he consider as a spiritual advisor and whom he drew inspiration for his book is simply someone who is not moving on and looking to the future. He is the past, not the future. Barack's continue association and defense of him puts Barack in the past as well.

Action speak louder than words. His speech didn't convince anyone who wasn't already a barack supporters.

Oprah went to a sermon in that church, lets not forget, and she left because she did not agree with the racist messages. If Oprah could do it, then a presidentual candidate such as Barack should have done so as well.

9. eyrei

The first link was to the wrong article, I'm guessing...

It is quite possible to admire things about a person while disliking others. I'd be curious to see what that award was actually given for. I doubt it was for anti-semitism, though it is possibly for his militancy...though that I doubt that as well.

10. Elrohir

The first one included a reference to the trip, if you want more than evidence that it took place you'll have to do some digging.

Can you imagine anyone reputable giving David Duke an award for, well, anything? Regardless of what it was for, giving him an award wouldn't be tolerated, and would be condemned as racist. Farrakhan is just as hateful, and actually attacks a lot of the same people, like Jews - the same standards should apply.

11. eyrei

I have absolutely no problem with the existence of this church or what is said there. I think it absurd to condemn black people for gathering to voice their frustrations and anger over things that are not fair in our society, especially when they have good reason to do so. Were white people actually trying to correct the wrongs visited on the older members, a good place to start would be listening to what they are pissed about to begin with...from their mouths...not a Clinton's.

Racism is also not the past, as you say. We have just been ignoring it for a decade or so. Remember Katrina? I guarantee nearly every black person in this country remembers it vividly.

12. eyrei

Except Farrakhan represents a righteous anger corrupted by bigotry while Duke represents nothing but bigotry.

13. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Yeah, if they're stupid. If they are too dumb not to generalize, and too cretinous to not see the irony in judging people because of the race just like they were judged because of their race, then those fellas should go ahead and make themselves look every bit as bad as the white racists of old.

14. Norseone

Norseone Emperor

My problem with this pastor is that sure he can be angry about the way things were...but accept that they arent that way anymore. What he is doing is race baiting, and that shouldnt be ok no matter what happend to you in your past. He is a man of god, forgive.

15. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

Okay preaching that white men created aids, and that white people are the enemy are not acceptable. That will just give your opponents more reason to be racist. The problem is when you preach these things in church, the young kids listen to it to and it just breeds a new generation of hatred. 50 years later, everything is still the same, nothing moves on.

16. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

I hate generalization but, I guess that you have something there. It's just hard to forgive, I have no idea what they went through, I've always been the only Black kid wherever I went so I guess if they ever picked on me I had the automatic race card. Still I would believe that it would be extremely hard to forgive considering how long they were second class citizens.

17. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

There's no forgiveness to be given. I doubt a significant part of the current white population played a role in segregation, much less in lynchings and etc.

And if you mean forgiving the racist system of the past, then it shouldn't be forgiven as it was obviously wrong and should be denounced. But it's not like the people alive today have much to do with it, so while reflection is always welcome I see very little validity for anger or wild generalizations.

18. eyrei

So the people that mistreated them are not worthy of their anger? We aren't talking about slavery two centuries ago. We are talking about people who were actually mistreated by our government/society being angry about it. Are they not allowed to voice their anger? May I ask why?

Stupid has nothing to do with it. Under-educated maybe, but not stupid. I think this is the point where I discount your opinion because you do not live here and are therefore too ignorant of the subject matter to construct an informed opinion.;)

19. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

Really? If only a smasll proportion of the population took part in segregation then why did it stick around for so long. Then why did it take so long for people to obey Brown vs. Board of Education, then why do places like Selma exist. Segregation was a part of life, just as much as Christmas was. The racists were not a small minority, they were the culture.

20. Elrohir

Bigotry is bigotry. Simply because blacks were greatly wronged by whites in America in the past, that does not mean black bigotry against whites should be tolerated. There won't ever be any semblance of racial harmony in America if we ever tolerate bigotry because it's PC to do so.

Tolerating bigotry leads to resentment from those who are being attacked and hated. Resentment leads to more bigotry, and so on and so forth. It's not about whether many blacks were wronged by many whites in the past - it's whether they're legitimately criticizing whites conduct now, or being bigoted. Legitimate criticism is fine, from anyone, and whites being racist against blacks should be called on it. But that same standard should be applied all across the board.