1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama's Speech Today

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nihilistic, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Stolen Rutters

Stolen Rutters Deity

I must say that speech was one of the best I have heard in recent years. No fluff here.

I don't know if it will help him much though. The history of race in America is pretty divisive, one of the most dangerous issues for a politician to tackle in our country, hey, even mentioning it can push polls around, and not always in the direction you want...

edit - oops, posted about the OT in the middle of a 4 page side argument... sorry. :o

2. Norseone

Norseone Emperor

eyrei....so you think its ok for someone to say that I am racist and want to opress black people just because I am white? I am way to young to have been responsible for segregation or anything. Is it still ok just because some white guys 50 years ago did bad things?

3. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Not at all. But I do deny the thought that every single black person was tortured or mistreated by the government. Thats simply not true. You cant sit there and praise the government for passing the civil rights act in the 60s and then turn around and call it the 'US of KKK'. Its not consistent.

Nope. You are the one making unfounded allegations who apparently cant back them up with anything factual....not me. Care to support your 'history' on these men or should you admit you have no idea of how they were raised or their personal experience?

4. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

If you don't know about the history of civil rights violations during these mens lifetimes, which your rather meager bios do not touch on, you are either willfully ignorant or uneducated on the subject. They did not become political spontaneously and for no reason.

At any rate, I think I'll take my thoughts elsewhere. Having to explain this to supposedly educated citizens of my own country is sickening.

5. MobBoss

Then by all means educate me. You said Pastor Wright was "abused and denegrated by our government".

All I am asking is PROVE IT.

Is that too much for you? Why is that so hard?

Apparently asking for proof of your own allegation is too much for you. And I suggest you ease up on your 'supposedly educated citizens' remark. As a mod thats awfully close to trolling because I know damn well I am educated enough to ask for proof when someone makes an unfounded allegation.

Good night sir!

6. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

So not allowing to ride in certain parts of a bus, or eat in certain parts of a restaurant, or go to a 'white' college means nothing to you? This is why I'm done (no seriously...this time I am). You already knew this...

Act like you have a clue then.

7. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

And your biographies were written by Nobel prize winners right?

They faced discrimination, that's a fact, I don't need proof, that's a fact in itself.

Have you heard of institutionalized racism? That's what happens when home prices in suburbs were black people live depreciate. That's when the solve rate for murders in poor neighborhoods is 20%, that's when police give a man life in prison for possessing marijuana. That's when a child is sent to jail for over ten years for defending himself, that's when the police look the other way when you file a complaint, that's when your opinions don't matter, that's when you get beaten up in the middle of the street, that's when a lender gives you money at a hiked rate, that's when people leave when you move into their suburb, that's when your child is given one sentence in the school play, that's when you are treated secondly when you have waited at the restaurant for over an hour.

I know I'm exaggerating, but these incidents happen much to often. I'm not blaming all white people for this, but you cannot just say because I don't see it, it never happened.

8. MobBoss

Pastor Wright grew up in Philadelphia, PA. Was he not allowed to ride in a certain part of a bus there? Do you have proof of this type of thing occurring in PA? Was he denied eating in a restaurant (though I dont understand how this translates into 'abused and denegrated by our government' like you alleged)?

And I think if you look hard enough you might find a few blacks that actually did go to 'white' colleges and graduate. If you cared to look.

Temper, temper. Dont be upset simply because someone asks you to prove what you assert....especially when you allege abuse of a specific person by our government. If I am acting like I dont have a clue, it is merely because you have utterly failed to provide any good ones.

9. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

look at the post above. Everything north of the Macon-Dixon line isn't peachy keen you know.

What is your argument by the way, I never fully grasped that. Are you trying to just convict Obama's preacher as a racist that will go to hell, and that all black people have perfect lives?

10. MobBoss

Everyone faces discrimination in some form or another. Thats another fact.

If a guy gets prison for possessing marijuana then its because he has been shown to be a career criminal and has apparently violated a 'three strikes' law in a state somewhere. I challenge you to prove that some person got life in prison for a first time marijuana charge with no prior record. Good luck.

Again, I know the case you are referring to and guess what? The youth in question had a record a mile long already. Does someone turning into a career offender not mean anything to you?

You mean like this guy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Oliver_Denny

Oh please. :rolleyes:

Precisely. And thus really not doing your arguement any good at all.

11. andrewgpisme

andrewgpisme Chieftain

Whatever this anger towards the white community is, or whether it's valid or not are mute points

the fact is that it is anger, speeches and beliefs rooted in anger. This is dangerous. Actions and words rooted in anger and resentment rarely lead to anything positive.

This is not how you heal. You forgive and forget and move forward that's how you heal, that's how you bring change....

12. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

13. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

The depreciation rate is because of the crime. So its somehow my fault that people in your neighborhood are committing crimes?

14. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Deity

Hear hear MobBoss! If this pastor Wright did indeed suffer racial discrimination, among other things, it was 40 years ago! Why is he still fanning the flames?

I can tell you why if you want me to. I'll give you a summary: that's what some people want to hear.

Juan Williams mentions things like this in his book. You do know who Juan Williams is right?

(this is the first link I found when I searched for "Juan Williams" btw, if anyone is gonna comment on me visiting that site)

A voice like pastor Wright's might have been necessary 40 years ago, but not today.

15. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

Haha no it isn't. When one black person moves into the area, people leave, no one wants to come back thus house prices fall. This takes a while, so one family isn't going to automatically spread crime. Or are you implying that black people automatically bring crime along because I am willing to debate you on that.

16. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

This thread moves too fast, so if it's been answered already, please show me where. Thanks!

Anyway, why would it be different for Obama to denounce his grandmother for her hate speech? It's a part of his life just as much as the fact that he had an absentee father or that he was with this pastor for two decades-plus. Why would relation by blood be different?

17. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

True, you might be the only sane person on this forum.

18. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

I didn't say black people spread crime, a lot of people just have that view because they see that black communities have a higher than average crime rate. Crime is more of a social-economic problem than anything else. Unfortunately, the poorer class is very over-represented by blacks. Black people don't bring crime, but poor people do.

The problem is that the kids who drop out of school are disproportionately black, the masses of the low-income individuals(precisely because of education) are black. But drop-outs(both black and white) are generally the ones who didn't work that hard in school or didn't care and thought it be better to either drop out and work at McDonalds or join the life of crime. The black kids who I did see work hard made it into very good schools and have successful careers now. But unfortunately, that is the minority for them. But the fact is, regardless of what color you are, you can work hard, get into a good college(especially with affirmative action on your side), and have a good career if you are willing to work for it. But in poorer areas most kids would rather would low-income jobs or join gangs than work hard in school.

19. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

When you find me a black man who has been alive for 300 years you can pretend you have a point. The fact is that most black men were not born before 1970, and a good portion who were are were to yount to remember anything. you pretty much have to be at least 48 years old to claim any "institutionalized racism," and 30+ years is long enough to get over things. Hell, holocaust victims have shorter vindictive memories than black men whose claims of trama pale in comparison to pretty much every oppressed group worldwide, most of whom let by gones be by gones after a mere decade.

So how many generations have to go by before a continent is no longer "yours?" Is Europe still my continent? Its been only 60 years since my family came here.

I often cry myself to sleep at night remembering the rape of Ireland by the English that I never saw or experianced in any way shape of form :cry: What happens in Africa now, let alone 200/300 years ago has no relevant bereing on people living in the here and now.

Again, who are these 150 year olds you speak of? I grow so tired of these mythical stories of rasism which for the majority of the black population today, given their demographics, invariably boils down to "I didn't get that job" or "I good looked at wrong in the grocery store." Always rasim, nevery because you were underqualified or maybe just a run of the mill a-hole. Of course that is the main problem with these black churches, they spout hatred and blame to hide the fact that these self aggrandizing buffoons mascarading as "Reverends" have failed to uplift their own communities despite ample time and untold resourses above and beyond other groups.

The Irish did it. The Italians did it. The Chinese are doing now DESPITE no help and suffering actual rasism. The Hispanics are doing it (amazingly without their churches mouthing off hatred). There is a very good reasons the black community is not advancing the way others do, and all of those reasons originate inside the black community itself.

Yeah, I just get to live in the suburbs. I flash my white ID card, give the secret handshake, say the password and I get through the machinegun guarded checkpoints guarding the entrance. It had nothing to do with me paying attention in highschool and not buying into a culture that insists basketball is the only way to success, or working 50 hour weeks. No, I just flash my pale ass and get a free ride :rolleyes:

Now if you excuse me, it is about the middle of the night here, I need to go boot stomp an upitty negro so I can sleep well tonight. Jesus, talk about proving my point for me...

20. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

I was referring to what happens when a few black people move into a mostly white neighborhood, how do you think the slums grow? We like to call it white flight, sadly I have only lived in towns created by this phenominon.