1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama's Speech Today

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nihilistic, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Norseone

Norseone Emperor

Eh, this is mostly a natural thing. People want to live by people like them. Blacks are moving out of Compton in LA now because Mexicans are moving in. :lol:

2. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

This myth has been busted so many times it is ridiculous. Weath is fleeing, not white people.

3. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

4. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

That isn't a myth, how do mostly white communities in the 50s turn into run down slums populated by Blacks by the 80s, considering the population didn't explode I don't think that it's the white people getting pushed aside by families having ten children.

You have no idea what you are doing do you?

5. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

So why is this a problem? So what if whites move out? Why does the place turn into a slum just because white people moved out?

There are places and neighborhoods were Asians slowly displaced whites, but those places aren't slums.

6. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Deity

Well hey I have family who were bombed to smithereens in Italy in WWII. I can't even trace my roots successfully because records are lost. You should have heard the stories my great-grandmother used to tell about having to live in caves and whatnot. Do I cry about it? No. And that's even closer to me than the rape of Ireland is to you.

Yep. You should check out Juan Williams' book. It talks about precisely these things, how other minority groups arrive in this country, with even less opportunities handed to them on a silver platter, and succeed beautifully.

Same here. Nice suburban neighborhood (although The Sopranos is based on people and life here so it's not always as nice as you'd think :)). But the town right next door, called Montclair NJ, is slowly succumbing to gangs; the Bloods specifically, 9 Tre Gangsters even more specifically. My brother is a corrections' gang expert; I get a lot of dirt on what's going on. You'd be amazed how many modern rappers are gang affiliated! I mean really amazed! It's more than you think.

Now, Montclair has some of the most expensive real estate in the state. Many celebrities have homes here. But just down the street you have gangs and gang violence. And it's growing, sandwiched right between Upper Montclair and Glen Ridge, two extremely wealthy areas but too close to Newark these days for their own good. The police do all they can and are mostly successful at containing these gangs, but it really has gotten out of hand. Just the other week I drove down a busy street called Franklin Street, right near Clara Maas hospital. I haven't been down this street in years (I give these details just in case someone is familiar with these areas), but my family grew up around there. Know what I saw? Project housing with lots of people all wearing red hanging around their steps. This was the middle of the day!

So guess what's driving the real estate prices down here? It's not minorities. That's too broad a term and winds up false. It's certain types of minorities. Unfortunately since these gangs are 100% minority people simply say that minorities drive prices down. They aren't being accurate and it gives the wrong impression.

7. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

House prices then depreciate and the place slowly becomes poorer, because schools get less funding from lowerd property taxes. Then without anything to do the children join gangs and it all goes downhill from there.

8. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

And I thought you knew how to think critcally. You can go back to your conservative policies, you have no idea where these problems come from. You just assume that all black and Latino people like to join gangs because they're stupid while you say, why can't you be like the Asians. One thing, have Asians in America contributed anything to American culture? If they have nothing compares to anything these two 'undesirable' minorities have.

9. Archbob

Without anything to do or the children? How about study hard, pass your classes, and stand out academically in your school? With affirmative action on your side, thats a sure way to get into a good college with a scholarship.

Do you know how many scholarships I was NOT qualified for because I was Asian and not Black/Hispanic/Native American when applying to college?

When the Chinese came here, we were are poor as dirt and lived in boxes pretty much. But our cultral mentality has always been to study every possible second and get the best grades so we could get into a good college.
    And yes, China did suffer very harshly during colonial rule by Europeans, Japanese, and Americans in the 1800s.

Working hard pays off, regardless of what race you are in.

What does contributing culture have anything to do with this. But yes, we have. Note that there are Asian Restaurants everywhere, Chinatowns, and other signs of Asian culture in this country.

10. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

Yeah you still had a culture, you still had something to liv efor, you still had a chance, you weren't trapped in a never ending vortex of poverty. When young impressionable men are loose on the streets who knows what happens, it's only sad that they don't think they should study because THE SCHOOLS ARE CRAP!!!! Have you ever been in one of these neighborhoods? No, you don't know that there are not enough books for the childrenn, that the teachers don't care, that drugs are everywhere. Let me tell you something, I'm black and I probably study more than you do, so don't pin this on our culture, because I play orchestra, I study history, I do my homework, and I pay attention to my teachers. I will not get into college if I get Cs and Ds no matter how much affirmative action there is.

11. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

All that apologist mumbo jumbo fails to explain how communities not only just as poor as blacks but with far more shallow roots and less devekoped communities, managed to uplift themselves? If you think there was any difference between the economic situation of an Irish/Italian/Chinese immigrant in 1890 and a free ex-slave (or child of one) you are kidding yourself. Blacks did have very high hurddles to clear, and perhaps far greater ones than other groups, but none of them were great enough to excuse the problems of the black community today.

Yes, please explain how any of that exist now in any form relevant to a black Chicago youth :lol:

Again, where are these 150 year olds. If there are 30 year old black men carrying around the baggage of slavery it is because people like Wright foisted it on them in their youth, like Obama is doing to his children now by allowing his children to be indocrinated into hate at that very church.

And if does not fall on the black churches to uplift blacks, but the black community as a whole of which they are a part. Most of all it falls on black leaders, who for very nefarious reasons tend to use the prefix "Rev." Again, who is going to uplift you besides yourself? Who uplifted the Irish? The Italians? The Fillipinos? The Chinese? The simple fact is that the problems of the black community today originate in side the black community, one of the greatest being the instance of black leaders holding onto power by raising long deat boogey men and convincing their followers that they are not responsible in any way for their current condition.

:lol: Tell that to the Chinese railroad workers of the 1850s :lol:

:lol: God, you are really lost in the world of liberal fiction. Do me a favor, next time you drive at night try and identify the race of every driver from behind and see what your accuracy rate is :lol:

False, new Hispanic immigrants are poor, which should be expected of ANY immigrant coming from an impoverished situation (ie Latin America). Historic Hispanic families which are located all over the South West are quite well off.

Smarter? And again someone proves where the racism in this country originates from.

Immigrants from a poor situation don't magically become not poor just because they come to America. What about the established Asian communities though? And of course how many Asian leaders blanket the US media every night claiming their plights are everyones fault but their own?

So please tell my why black students refuse to study at their free public education schools? Even when bused to high property tax supported schools they lag behind. It isn't the schools, it is the homes they go back to. At some point the people in those homes have to make the decision they want more and go get it themselves, like every other disadvantaged group who has succeeded in America has done.

There is no other group who considers themselves entitled to success though anything other than their own efforts other than the black community (wll just their leaders, there are millions of blacks who see the retardedness of the victim culture and improve their lives themselves everyday). Honeslty, how long is the slavery crutch going to be claimed. 100 more years? 200? 300?

And you caught me. My grandparents totally took all my highschool/college test for me while I was out drinking. They totally show up at work and do my 50 hours for me while I shoot heroin. They pay my rent. In fact they dress me and wash me every morning :lol:

You are right in that at some point my grandparents decided to though off the self imposed shackles of the victim mentality (being penniless Irish refugees form the famine, far worse off than a good portion of the black population at the time) and uplifted themselves. What exactly is stopping the Al Sharpton followers of the world from doing the same?

No, this:

"You get to live in your perfect suburbs, then beat up some Latino, Black, or Asian guy in the middle of the night"

Is not helpful. It is in fact biggoted and rascist and in fact I expect you to detract it or I am going to report it.

12. Archbob

What you don't realize is that you have a chance too. Just as good as mine.
    Schools are determined by social-economic status, so when many Asians come over and are as poor as dirt, they have to start their kids in the same schools. We weren't stuck in a never ending vortex of poverty because we worked hard, didn't join gangs, and got the grades, even when the schools were crap. Asian parents actually force their kids to study and do the homework and do work outside of normal homework EVEN IF THE SCHOOLS ARE CRAP. It may sound like oppressive parenting, but guess what? It works.

The sad thing is, you are the exception, not the rule. You will probably get into a good college with a scholarship. But the thing is most African American kids don't see it the way you do. If the vast majority of African American kids thought the way you did, there wouldn't be a problem. I've known very successful African American students.

By the Ways: I was in the top 5% of my graduating class, was AP state and national scholar, and had a 4.3(3.9 unweighted) GPA coming out of High school. I personally knew a few African Americans who graduated near the top with me and all of them got into good schools with good scholarships. Black people have oppurtunities.

In our school in the west suburbs of St. Louis, the state does provide an exchange program where some white kids agree to attend mostly black school downtown and in return many black kids are bussed from downtown to our "richer" school.

But unfortunately, most of those kids, even given this oppurtunity to attend a good school, dropped out anyways.

Actually, I have been stopped in my own neighborhood by a cop because I was taking a stroll at night. He wanted me to point to the house where I lived and followed me until I got home.

13. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

It's wealth fleeing increased crime that comes from an increased urban environment and increased poverty that comes with that crime. It's not a racial thing - just look at neighborhoods where everyone is on similar economic levels. My neighborhood, for example: it's probably 40% black, higher than the proportion of blacks in my state. And no white flight....and everyone seems to get along just fine, racially speaking.

Most people aren't racist Gecko.

14. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Because those particular white people were wealthy? Where are all the poor white people, who vastly outnumber poor blacks, living? Do you think a 200K a year white person would tolerate a 30K year white person with pickup trucks on blocks in his front yard lowering his property value any more than he would a poor black person?

Thats right, lean on that race crutch, it is so much more convienent than reality.

15. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

The flee for the reason you give. It's still white flight though. Now do I need to explaina again what happens after that or can you figure it out yourself?

16. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

I know that, why do you people want to paint me up as some raving lunatic. I've only presented facts and given what I think are good explanations for social phenomenon. I do get a bit personal but that's because all of your insults hurt me on a personal level.

17. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

What happens for me being the exception? I get called an oreo and all the black children at my school disown me. I get stuck talking to one person because I don't fit in any social groups. That isn't because of racism by the way. I do not care much for the opinions of my fellow students because solving a trig equation is all I need to keep my spirits up, you guys are about as far as my list of "friends" go. The only people I actually feel as real friends are all the Asian people at my College of DuPage advanced courses, and I only get to see them once a week. Considering how ingrained communal rationships are in Black culture I can't blame the kids for dropping out because of the fear of being ostracised by everyone. That's the difference, Asian culture rewards sticking out and getting all the glory, black culture doesn't as much. So you're right I am the exception, but most children won't pay the price I have to, to be the exception.

18. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

It's been 30 years since institutionalized racism has been banned, and 110 years since the immigrants came in 1890. Wait longer.

19. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

It's because you're acting crazy. Things are far from perfect, and that includes the actions of whites - but it also includes the actions of blacks. No one is denying that some things are really messed up. But I don't think things are as bleak as you're portraying.

20. Gecko1

Gecko1 Emperor

And Irish didn't have to deal with that racism. How many people openly celebrate black history month compared to St. Patrick's day. You can say wear green but not go hug a black person. Not like we want to be raped the first of Febuary of course. Just saying you gel into the American culture much better. If your immigrant grandparents came here, they must have had a little. When I say that your great grandparents did the work for you, I'm saying that they were the ones that got you into middle class, they got you into the suburbs were you can get a good education and become nullified to the problems that come with poverty. I've seen what happens first hand, you haven't so how about you shut up and stop thinking that just because someone is in a gang means that they could have also gone to Harvard.

By the way I don't mean you Bill.