Obama's Speech Today

when you have no money for college and your school has no books for you then you will see how hard it is to learn. Your grandparents got you into the middle class where you actually have a chance. If you weren't living in a good community with a good school then you wouldn't be posting here would you?

See, now this doesn't work because other races had to start in the same schools with no money and no books and they've been able to cope with it and come out ahead. See, my parents lived under the communist rule in the 70's(which is more oppressive than your discrimination in the 70s) and weren't even allowed to go to school. The government plucked them as young teens from their families and sent them 300 miles away to work in rice fields for 14 hours a day, yet they still someone learned the basic skills, scored better than most whites on the standardized college tests(this test was an international one pitting Chinese against people from all countries including the states). Despite not going to school, and got a fellowship into Cornell after Mao died in 1977 and the government actually allowed you to get an education. If they can do it with no schools, you can do it with crappy schools.

See, now this doesn't work because other races had to start in the same schools with no money and no books and they've been able to cope with it and come out ahead. See, my parents lived under the communist rule in the 70's(which is more oppressive than your discrimination in the 70s) and weren't even allowed to go to school. The government plucked them as young teens from their families and sent them 300 miles away to work in rice fields for 14 hours a day, yet they still someone learned the basic skills, scored better than most whites on the standardized college tests(this test was an international one pitting Chinese against people from all countries including the states). Despite not going to school, and got a fellowship into Cornell after Mao died in 1977 and the government actually allowed you to get an education. If they can do it with no schools, you can do it with crappy schools.

You didn't have a murder commited in your neighborhood every day did you? You didn't have to deal with gangs and streetfights did you? You didn't have crackheads for parents did you? Why do you keep insisting that I am blaming whites, I am not. You just want to pin that on me. I'm just explaining why inner city schools and communities are dissfunctional. I think that if white people decided to move back into the city conditions would actually improve, problem is that then home prices go up and the Blacks are priced out of the area.

Guess what, if I had a bunch of free time after working in the fields I would study too. Oops a gunshot just killed my sister, no time for that now, I've got some mourning to do.

when you have no money for college and your school has no books for you then you will see how hard it is to learn.

That's not really true to even the crappiest schools in the US anymore. I've been to those crappy inner-city schools for elementary school and junior high, and they don't really lack books. Actually, I think they probably spent a lot more on books because their churn rate is much much higher. Almost no on there respects their textbooks. I've seen them literally move from a hard-cover reusable textbook system to a soft-cover "use it and dump it" because no one expects the books to be in good condition for the next year. The science equipment are usually new the first week and broken the second. Even stuff like rulers are then ordered in plastic because the metal ones will break anyway. The school building itself looks dilapidated despite constant repairs because of, well, the students disdain for it.

A true consumer culture.

Really, when you live on less than 40,000 dollars a year with three children how do you expect to pay for college? Scholarships are far and inbetween. How many good jobs are in the inner city? Considering that no company wants to go there when there is a good chance of being robbed?

See, my Dad made less than $40,000 while we lived in Arkansas having a family and two kids and we were going to college(and I did an my sister is heading there next year). No good jobs in the inner city? Thats just an ignorant statement. In St. Louis, all the major companies are stationed downtown between 33rd street and the river, the same is true for most major metropolitan areas.

Everyone wants to get out of their situation. They just reach a point when they finally realize it's impossible.
Obviously its not because there are black people who have gotten out of their situation and have gone from rags to riches or at least to a respectable middle class. You know what separates these people from the rest? They actually worked hard instead of waiting for the government to bail them out.

Can you study when there are gun shots in the middle of the night? When your parents who have been disenchanted about education don't push you onwards? When you have to work a job just in order to buy food for yourself?

I don't go to school in the middle of the night and yes, I've been to these places, I usually don't hear gunshots in the middle of the night. If your parents don't push you forward, its not some white dude's fault. Its their mentality thats the problem. I have plenty of friends who work 20-30 hr weeks and also go to school when I was growing up. They also worked full time on weekends and during vacations on minimum wage and they did fine.

Really, you have no idea what these schools look like. Where do you live?

Actually, yes I have been to these schools and have friends that teach at them. They really do try their best but unfortunately, its the students who don't want to learned. Their hard effort is pretty much wasted.

Discrimination was de facto in the north, don't think that everything north of the Mason-Dixon line was peachy keen.

It wasn't nearly as severe

They'll never get anywhere with or without the government, there is no way out. The cycle is too powerful to be stopped. You guys just don't seem to get it.

No, it is you that don't get it. The fact that there are black kids from these area that do go to good colleges, get good jobs, and join the ranks of society proves it can be done.
For the rest that refuse to follow their example, they are not deserving of a free lunch.

You didn't have a murder commited in your neighborhood every day did you? You didn't have to deal with gangs and streetfights did you? You didn't have crackheads for parents did you? Why do you keep insisting that I am blaming whites, I am not. You just want to pin that on me. I'm just explaining why inner city schools and communities are dissfunctional. I think that if white people decided to move back into the city conditions would actually improve, problem is that then home prices go up and the Blacks are priced out of the area.

That is just an ignorant statement. You obviously don't know how vicious the communist rule. The party came in on a regular basis daily, dragged people out for no reason and beat the crap out of them or killed them for no apparent reason. Many of my parent's and grandparent's friend were killed by this so-called "purification". My mom's family of 3 kids(grandparent and 3 kids) lived on a wage of 27 bucks a month.

As for your housing conditions. At least you have a house, they lived in a straw hut without air conditioning, heating, or plumbing.

Guess what, if I had a bunch of free time after working in the fields I would study too. Oops a gunshot just killed my sister, no time for that now, I've got some mourning to do.

Tell you what, you go out in 100 degree weather, lay manure and plow for 14-16 hours, then come back and tell me how much you can study.

See, my Dad made less than $40,000 while we lived in Arkansas having a family and two kids and we were going to college(and I did an my sister is heading there next year). No good jobs in the inner city? Thats just an ignorant statement. In St. Louis, all the major companies are stationed downtown between 33rd street and the river, the same is true for most major metropolitan areas. Fine, would you like me to describe it as the "hood"? You know damn well what I'm talking about.

Obviously its not because there are black people who have gotten out of their situation and have gone from rags to riches or at least to a respectable middle class. You know what separates these people from the rest? They actually worked hard instead of waiting for the government to bail them out.
Yeah and my family didn't get shipped as slaves and the British decided to make my grandfather an accountant. Those people are just about as lucky as the inner-city kid that ends up playing for the Patriots.

I don't go to school in the middle of the night and yes, I've been to these places, I usually don't hear gunshots in the middle of the night. If your parents don't push you forward, its not some white dude's fault. Its their mentality thats the problem. I have plenty of friends who work 20-30 hr weeks and also go to school when I was growing up. They also worked full time on weekends and during vacations on minimum wage and they did fine. Where did they live. I never said it was some white person's fault. Why do you keep nailing that on me? I have already explained where the menatlity has come from. Twenty hours a week is only four hours a day, that leaves you more than enough time to study, don't be a wimp. No, you haven't been to those places.

Actually, yes I have been to these schools and have friends that teach at them. They really do try their best but unfortunately, its the students who don't want to learned. Their hard effort is pretty much wasted. Look at my link below.

It wasn't nearly as severe
Then why were there race riots here, in the perfect north in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s?

No, it is you that don't get it. The fact that there are black kids from these area that do go to good colleges, get good jobs, and join the ranks of society proves it can be done.
For the rest that refuse to follow their example, they are not deserving of a free lunch. No one deserves a free lunch, how do you follow there example when you have no money to go everywhere. Good things cost money, working for Burger king at the age of 40 with three children doesn't give you money.

http://www.cps.k12.il.us/AtAGlance.html

Read up all you want.

Where did I ever say that it was white people's fault for inner city areas. Give me an example. You seem to be the one who always wants to add the white person, not me.

Really, when you live on less than 40,000 dollars a year with three children how do you expect to pay for college? Scholarships are far and inbetween. How many good jobs are in the inner city? Considering that no company wants to go there when there is a good chance of being robbed?

Case in point: My parents used make about 4k combined monthly and we had to endure NYC housing rates. Yet they managed to put me through college. Not some crappy state college either, I went to Carnegie Mellon, for about 40k a year (when you include the dorm and food and books) before scholarships and loans. I paid off half my college loans now too, imagine that.

On top of that they also managed to put down payment on a 600k house (it's worth about a million now, the housing bust never came to this part of nyc) WHILE I was in college.

My family is NOT the exception. There are a lot of seemingly impossible things you could do with an Asian saving rate, but you'll probably can't live as frugal as we can.

What you are actually saying is that the government doesn't spend enough on inner cities right? Well that's the same as blaming whites, because who's in power? When people blame the government for not doing things we know what they're really saying.

And as for this:

when you have no money for college and your school has no books for you then you will see how hard it is to learn. Your grandparents got you into the middle class where you actually have a chance. If you weren't living in a good community with a good school then you wouldn't be posting here would you?

That is a completely . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. . excuse. There are tons of student loans available. If someone wants to go to college they can. Saying they can't afford it is a bad excuse. If you're a minority you actually stand a great chance of going to school absolutely free! I mean wtf!? I can't do that based on my race, and that's friggin racist.

No, the real problem is not wanting to go to college, or not wanting to pursue the means to do so. Everyone in this country can go to college if he or she wants. Maybe not an Ivy League school but so what.

You have no idea how the cycle of poverty works do you?

No, you are dead wrong, because these schools stink there is no incentive to learn. You are also dead wrong on the racial hatred. Last time I checked Chinese and Irish didn' get lynched in massive numbers. Plus you came here wllingly.

The schools don't give the incentive to learn. The students' families do. People love to put all the blame on the schools don't they? Are these people who blame the schools the same parents who will sit with their kids and help them do their homework? Or go to back-to-school night to meet the teachers and see what their kids are learning?

And if you're in a lousy school it's probably not the school's fault. Go to one of the schools in inner city Paterson NJ and tell me what the problem is. Tell me who's fault it is.

I'll tell you why there is no incentive to learn: The culture of gangs and gangsta rap. That's all these kids know and all these kids look up to. In their eyes, and the eye of their "families", there is no need for education.

Damn man wake up and open your eyes!

Case in point: My parents used make about 4k combined monthly and we had to endure NYC housing rates. Yet they managed to put me through college. Not some crappy state college either, I went to Carnegie Mellon, for about 40k a year (when you include the dorm and food and books) before scholarships and loans. I paid off half my college loans now too, imagine that.

On top of that they also managed to put down payment on a 600k house (it's worth about a million now, the housing bust never came to this part of nyc) WHILE I was in college.

My family is NOT the exception. There are a lot of seemingly impossible things you could do with an Asian saving rate, but you'll probably can't live as frugal as we can.

No, you're a lier. Yeah, because 4K a year is less than minimum wage, so get out of here like I told you to a few posts back.

No, you're a lier. Yeah, because 4K a year is less than minimum wage, so get out of here like I told you to a few posts back.

Reading skills FTW! Or was it arithmetic skills? When did month = year?

You quoted the evidence against you yourselves.

He probably meant 40k and just mis-typed. Fact is, his family, my family, and many others made less than 40k and we did ok.

Still doubt it, if minimum wage is $6.5 and you work 8 hours a day monday-friday. you get 27,040. Now that's a tiny amout of cash. No way your child is buying a $600,000 house when you make that much. He's lying for sure. Unless this guy is in college getting a "take over the world with your Asian saving rate" degree he is no way near a million dollar house.

Reading skills FTW! Or was it arithmetic skills? When did month = year?

You quoted the evidence against you yourselves.

ok....

6.5*8= 52 ok?

52*5=260 still with me?

260*52=13,520 See I knew you could do it.

You can multiply now, yay!!!

Considering that you can't do math I would be amazed if anyone even sold you a house.

Still doubt it, if minimum wage is $6.5 and you work 8 hours a day monday-friday. you get 27,040. Now that's a tiny amout of cash. No way your child is buying a $600,000 house when you make that much. He's lying for sure. Unless this guy is in college getting a "take over the world with your Asian saving rate" degree he is no way near a million dollar house.

Ok, see, if your child goes to college, he make more than $6.4/hr. You can make more than your parents, you know. Unfortunately, when I see these inner-city people complain about how hard money is and then their kid goes and buys an $150 pair of air jordan, I'm just like WTF?!

Yes, there are plenty of people whose parents made minimum or close to minimum wage, but they went to college anyways and bought nice houses after graduating. You don't depend on your parents to buy you a nice house.

If you want an example of someone who started her life in the ghetto but is a billionaire now, just look at Oprah.

Your parents wage != your wage

Ok, see, if your child goes to college, he make more than $6.4/hr. You can make more than your parents, you know. Unfortunately, when I these inner-city people complain about how hard money is and then their kid goes and buys an $150 pair of air jordan, I'm just like WTF?!

Yes, there are plenty of people whose parents made minimum or close to minimum wage, but they went to college anyways and bought nice houses after graduating. You don't depend on your parents to buy you a nice house.

If you want an example of someone who started her life in the ghetto but is a billionaire now, just look at Oprah.

She didn't get a $600,00 house while in college. The air jordans are because they think that sports are the only ways other than gang affiliation to get out of their situation. My shoes cost $40 and they do whatever I ask of them.

Ok, see, if your child goes to college, he make more than $6.4/hr. You can make more than your parents, you know. Unfortunately, when I see these inner-city people complain about how hard money is and then their kid goes and buys an $150 pair of air jordan, I'm just like WTF?!

Your parents wage != your wage

Your wage≠ your parent's wage X 1,000

No way that will ever happen, even if I become a head of state.

They were able to save about 2k a month out of the 4+k. That works out to 24k a year. Over about 15 years at the time works out to 360k. The actual amount is I think near 250k. The did borrow like 50k from relatives and friends to make a 230k down payment (not the minimum required but they wanted better rates) because they needed cash for my tuition too. It's a 3 floor 3 family house (1 per floor) and the rent from the 2 other floors nearly make the mortgage.

They were able to save about 2k a month out of the 4+k. That works out to 24k a year. Over about 15 years at the time works out to 360k. The actual amount is I think near 250k. The did borrow like 50k from relatives and friends to make a 230k down payment (not the minimum required but they wanted better rates) because they needed cash for my tuition too. It's a 3 floor 3 family house (1 per floor) and the rent from the 2 other floors nearly make the mortgage.

Smart, but deprevational, your parents would have been roughing it. Still I don't believe your story, which kind of deranged employeer gives his employees 2K a year?

Smart, but deprevational, your parents would have been roughing it. Still I don't believe your story, which kind of deranged employeer gives his employees 2K a year?

He said 2k per month, not year, please read his posts and its very possible.

Look at the 401k plans. If you save about 500 a month and go with the "safe" investment method, within 30-35 years, you will have about $1 million in savings because of compound interest. Even with a family of 4 or 5, if you make 3.5k per month, you can save $500 per month. If you invest that $500 in some safe investments, in 30 or so years, you can actually move into the mid-upper class.

Your wage≠ your parent's wage X 1,000

No way that will ever happen, even if I become a head of state.

Yeah, but if you graduate from college with a engineering or business degree, you can easily get $25/hr or around $45,000-$50,000 a year, which is plenty.

Top Bottom