Obama's Speech Today

Now how are you immune to it's effects? :huh:

"Hope" and "change" have nothing on a good policy speech.

Obama's website says, "I'm asking you to believe". I don't want to "believe" in my Presidential candidate. I just want a balanced budget and a sound fiscal plan.

Maybe that's just me.

He's actually down 12 in PA by the ways.
Do you have source to back up your claim?

Because Republicans and some moderates realize that he isn't God.
Hey, not everyone is won over by words without action.
How are Obama's words not full of weight (so to speak), in your perspective?

How's them freedom fries?
They look like French Fries to me.

Integral said:
To me "hope" and "change" are good policies to me. Though that's just me since I want to see a change in the White House to clean up Bush's mess, not be an extention of Bush's mess.

I dont know, I guess I must be a frustrated Moderate Democrat that wants to see a Democrat in the White House.

Obama's website says, "I'm asking you to believe". I don't want to "believe" in my Presidential candidate. I just want a balanced budget and a sound fiscal plan.

Maybe that's just me.

Its not just you.

After Mitt's "Speech on religion" Obama's "Speech on race" will we get a Billery " speech of being a shrew"?

Is this the one where he whines about not enough black history being taught?

It's all political rhetoric that the masses are naive enough to believe. You would think that after decades upon decades of this rhetoric the American people would be able to see it.

Politicans spout this nonsense all the time. They're interested in making people feel good, to get their votes. They'll lie to your face with a convincing smile, and hold a dagger behind their back to stab you when you turn to leave. All politicians do this, or should I say all career politicians.

Obama is very good with words. But after a half hour of going way beyond what was necessary I'm still not convinced he doesn't believe in what his pastor preaches. And because he's a politician who's good with words I'm not about to believe him simply because he says so.

He needs to do more. He needs to condemn Wright, condemn all pastors or preachers or whoever who spout that nonsense, to show the country that he really is the candidate who can bridge the racial gap. As it stands right now he's just a lying politician covering his tracks and pandering to everyone at the same time.

Oh, and a 30 minute speech about this is brilliant! After a while, with all that rhetoric you being to forget what the problem was to begin with. He's good. He's really good.

I think people keep misusing the word "rhetoric".

Maybe that's just me.

I'm with you, but even I have to say "good luck" on that one. :(

As for the speech itself, I think it had to be done eventually. Race was always present, though not center-stage, for this entire erm...racecontest. With this pastor having shot it to the forefront, Obama had no choice but to confront it head-on in some fashion.

I thought this bit, which came immediately after articulating the problems and anger of blacks, was particularly impressive.

I've never in my life heard such a liberal black politician as Obama be so even handed in race discussions. He gives equal attention in this speech to white grievances over AA quotas and other things. My Obamade cup was waning a bit but that certainly bought me a few more refills.

Some will spin it whatever way they want, no matter what unfortunately. I can already hear people criticizing him for not laying out a policy plan detailing how exactly he expects to combat racism. :lol:

It's all political rhetoric that the masses are naive enough to believe. You would think that after decades upon decades of this rhetoric the American people would be able to see it.

Politicans spout this nonsense all the time. They're interested in making people feel good, to get their votes. They'll lie to your face with a convincing smile, and hold a dagger behind their back to stab you when you turn to leave. All politicians do this, or should I say all career politicians.

Obama is very good with words. But after a half hour of going way beyond what was necessary I'm still not convinced he doesn't believe in what his pastor preaches. And because he's a politician who's good with words I'm not about to believe him simply because he says so.

He needs to do more. He needs to condemn Wright, condemn all pastors or preachers or whoever who spout that nonsense, to show the country that he really is the candidate who can bridge the racial gap. As it stands right now he's just a lying politician covering his tracks and pandering to everyone at the same time.

Oh, and a 30 minute speech about this is brilliant! After a while, with all that rhetoric you being to forget what the problem was to begin with. He's good. He's really good.

You're not convinced Barack Obama doesn't believe that AIDS was a CIA invention and that America deserved 9/11? :lol:

Well, to be fair, he doesn't believe this to my knowledge...

I'm with you, but even I have to say "good luck" on that one. :(
I have hope, and I believe that we can change America's fiscal woes. Nobody said it would be easy. But you deserve someone who will stand up for you both in the goods times and in the hard times. America can be put back on the right fiscal track. Yes, we can.

As for the speech itself, I think it had to be done eventually. Race was always present, though not center-stage, for this entire erm...racecontest. With this pastor having shot it to the forefront, Obama had no choice but to confront it head-on in some fashion.
I agree. And in light of the overall campaign, I'd say that Obama did well in this speech.

gives equal attention in this speech to white grievances over AA quotas and other things.

Thats nice, but he left out the part why we shouldn't care that he gets his moral compass and spends one day a week listening, agreeing, or tolerating racist ranting or why he exposes his children to the same.

It was a nice smoke screen, or would have been if he wasn't trying to mask the explosion of a thousand suns which used to be his image. This didn't confuse anyone, and at the very least didn't confuse white moderate swing voters.

You know, blacks packing themselves into "churches" and screaming and dancing to chants of "death to the white man" is not new. It was just something we were all supposed to understand because, hey, they had some relatives 150 years ago that went through hell. One of the things this should bring to light is that every week at thousands of assembly halls across the nation black "reverends" spout racist hate for hours to all too approving crowds. No person raised in such an enviroment has much hope of growing up to not gleening racist tendancies, especially one who refuses to remove themselves from such an enviroment even after the sort of education Obama has.

People have been constantly telling us Obama should have known better. News flash for you, he DID know better and chose to remain there anyway. In fact, he doesn't even have the excuse that he was raised there and it was just what black people do, he sought the place out after the fact. Obama, the uniter :lol:

I have hope, and I believe that we can change America's fiscal woes. Nobody said it would be easy. But you deserve someone who will stand up for you both in the goods times and in the hard times. America can be put back on the right fiscal track. Yes, we can.
Spare some change for hoping for the future? Okay, I'm having too much fun with this. Bad Yankee.

Part of me wishes he did this sooner, but I think it would have been received badly if he did it when he was still second fiddle.

Was that an actual quote? If it was then ... holy crap. It sounded a lot better than it reads. Maybe we are all taken for a ride. How the hell did it sound so nice coming out of his mouth but yet so worthless when written?

I am humbled today. Obama has skills. Mad oratory skills. Wow.

Yes, I absolutely cannot resist screaming death to the white man. It's just one of my gleaning racist tendencies that I got at my church where all we did was talk about how evil white people are. Nothing about Jesus or anything.

Get over yourself.

Do you have source to back up your claim?

Yes, I actually do have numbers to back up my claim:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/pa/pennsylvania_democratic_primary-240.html

My Bad, she's actually up by 17, not 12.

How are Obama's words not full of weight (so to speak), in your perspective?

Because his actions do not coincide with his words. He's full of promises but no accomplishments, experience, or anything else that would make me believe in his promises.

To me "hope" and "change" are good policies to me. Though that's just me since I want to see a change in the White House to clean up Bush's mess, not be an extention of Bush's mess.

I dont know, I guess I must be a frustrated Moderate Democrat that wants to see a Democrat in the White House.

"Hope" and "Change" are not policies. They are feel-good sentiments.

"I will lower interest rates" or "I will raise taxes on the rich/poor" are policies. ""Believe in me" is not a policy.

See, maybe thats the problem, I've actually read some of Obama's speeches after listening to some of them, maybe I wasn't supposed to do that. Because when you read them, it does come off as all empty Rhetoric.

Top Bottom