1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Obama's Speech Today

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nihilistic, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

Joking has its limits. By the way you've been posting, its impossible to tell you apart from the real rabid Obama supporters.

2. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

You're one of those people.

Joke all you want in the back rooms, but right now the Obama haters are looking for fuel to continue the fire, and you're giving them it.

3. Archbob

To be fair, Ron Paul had plans and solution which he actually mentioned in his speeches.

Obama does not have as much substance as Ron Paul or any of the other Candidates.

He needs to actually address issues more in his speeches rather than just shouting "we can change", I think that novelty is starting to wear off.

4. Enkidu Warrior

Enkidu Warrior Ultramagnetic

I love the fake outrage. Regardless of your 'fair and balanced' characterisation of his remarks, I thought the manner in which he spoke of his Grandmother was just fine. My Grandmother has also said things to me that made me cringe and I would also never disown her. Are you telling me I just 'threw my Grandmother under the bus'? Because you know I wouldn't take such an accusation kindly.

5. Enkidu Warrior

Enkidu Warrior Ultramagnetic

This ladies and gentlemen is what is commonly known as irony.

6. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I hope I am in the clear :hide:.

7. Archbob

You should also know that is a commonly used phrase.

8. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

If more people were willing to be honest about things like that, our society would be a lot better off than it currently is. I know exactly where he's coming from, because I heard exactly the same from my grandmother, who grew up in the depression-era south.

The speech was certainly full of excellent points, but I think most Americans aren't mature enough to take any of it to heart, or will reject it simply based on political affiliation (like MobBoss).

9. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

No, thats regarded as using your grandmother as a political ploy. No more, no less. And one I find personally dispicable.

And yes, if you referred to your grandmother in the same breath in comparison to a guy like Pastor Wright, you most precisely 'threw her under the bus'.

10. GenMarshall

To be honest, I never heard that term before "threw person under the bus".

11. MobBoss

But would you use your grandmother to score political points in this manner? The point isnt that you buy into the misdirect that Obama offers to get your eyes off of Pastor Wright and onto his loving Grandmother (which you apparently have), but rather, is it a tactic that you would use in running for office?

I am not sure many people would choose to make their grandmother a political topic. I dont think I would.

Sorry, if any candidate refused to denouce people who make hate speech due to their relationship to them, I would reject them regardless of party. This isnt about political affiliation, its about a candidate divesting himself from an influential person in his life that is in turn a race baiting bigot. Condemning the words, but not the person simply isnt good enough for me.

I wonder if Pastor Wright donated to Obama's campaign and if Obama kept the money?

12. Speedo

Speedo Esse Quam Videri

:sleep:

Yes, I'm sure you condemn and cut all ties with everyone you know who's ever said something that you disagree with. </sarcasm>

Don't bother trying to claim that you do, because I already know that you're lieing.

13. GenMarshall

To be honest, I rather see Obama denounce the man instead of condemning the words. He has brought me disappointment and shame :(.

Is there a way to find out? :eek:
    If he did, then he would bring more shame and disappointment! :(.

14. MobBoss

Nice dodge. How about an actual answer? Would you?

Depends on the issue and certainly not everyone. But if its important enough, I damn sure have. I have no qualms in walking away from someone distasteful, regardless of their relationship to me.

Nope. Fact. I had no contact what-so-ever for the last 5 years of my fathers life because being around him became intolerable. He insulted my wife because of her views, my kids because how we were raising them, and basically was an overall . .. .. .. .. .. .. . 24/7. And although he was still my father, I wasnt going to subject myself, or my family to that type of treatment.

So you know what you can do with your allegations of lieing? Yes..I think you do.

15. Archbob

I still don't understand why people care more about Wright, Rezko, Ferraro, and Clinton's tax returns more than the economy, the war, and other actually important issues.

16. Sims2789

Sims2789 Fool me once...

I'll say it again: Obama's charisma and ability to inspire support behind his positions will make him affective. Him and the Clintons are similar on many issues, but he has experience getting the public to support him and his issues and she doesn't, and I don't think she'll gain it during her four or eight year stay in the White House.

Also, Obama's website has a 64 page PDF file full of detailed plans (and, admittedly, one-liners too). It has actual issues, not Rezko, Wright, Ferraro, Clinton's tax returns, nor whatever the hell other gossip the media likes to spew. The PDF's about 70% pure substance, and 30% hope and change. :p

17. MobBoss

This is having a larger effect than people realize.

From http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/03/18/obama-seeks-to-stop-wright-coverage-loop/

A couple of reasons this has been playing big is that Obama has been styling himself the complete opposite kind of person that would sit in a church for 20 years and listen to this stuff week in, week out. It makes us think "who is Obama exactly"? Because apparently, he wasnt quite what he said he was.

18. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

It's interesting that the Pastor Wright thing seems to only have angered people that weren't planning on voting for Obama anyway...

It wasn't week in week out, the offensive statements came from specific sermons.

19. MobBoss

Actually....thats not true. I think its a concern of many who were on the fence between Obama and Clinton.

20. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

I'm unconvinced. 56% sounds a lot like McCain supporters + Hillary supporters.