1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Obsessed with building World Wonders

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by brewgod, May 22, 2014.

1. brewgod

brewgod Prince

Hello Fellow Die Hard Civ 5 Fans:

I am curious to know how many people on the forum are like me in regards to wanting to build almost all World Wonders. For what ever given reason. It may help you out or may not but you want your 3-5 cities to have about 15 world wonders in the game.

Curious to know. I find building them hard to pass up.

Brew God

2. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

Agree
    Most of the WW are more powerfull than civ. traits or social policies
    And so nice for ego...

3. docbud

docbud Emperor

I find myself always doing it. I know I'm not supposed to, but I still do it.

I guess that's why I'm still only playing at Prince level.

4. sam44hill

sam44hill Always go for the Kill

Hope you like War Chariots and Burial Tombs :egypt:

5. Acken

Acken Deity

Good players will also build a lot of wonders on lower levels, the OP ones like hanging gardens, petra, great library are definitely worth it. There's some crap wonders that I never do though.
    But if you go up in levels you have to skip more and more.

6. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

Then you play in MP and realize that -somebody- is going to build Great Library, and they build it legitimately, and it could very well be in the hands of not a complete moron. Same for Petra, Chichen, Notre Dame.

The tension builds.

7. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

This is all in SP:
    Prince is the last level in which you can attempt to build almost all world wonders no matter what.

(At King you need an above average hammer start to still be assured GL due to the AI starting with Pottery) Just about everything else though is still buildable on its own, but this level is high enough that you can't build every single ancient era wonder in the same game.

Emperor places more restrictions

And at Immortal, you should basically forget about building any and all ancient era wonders and even Classical ones take a really good hammer start. It does become easier to build a wonder the later it comes; by the time you hit Printing Press wonders an above average hammer start may be enough.

It may help if you think of yourself as building the "4 Archer wonder" as the difficulty level increases along with remembering that national wonders are wonders as well.

8. Astennu

Astennu Warlord

I manage to build Stonehenge in nearly every Immortal game I play :cool:

Temple of Artemis and Oracle are also fairly easy to nab as well

9. Asklepios

Asklepios Warlord

joncnunn is right of course.

To clarify, I think its worth stating that at Emperor level and above you can get some ancient wonder if you focus on them, but the opportunity cost of doing so will tend to result in you playng a weaker game than if you disregarded them.

The "4 archer wonder" is generally better in almost all circumstances at these levels.

10. Jedoc

Jedoc Warlord

I place a whole lot more emotional weight on wonders than I should, and generally end up building ones I don't honestly need on Emperor level.

That being said, one of the best things I ever did was take this forum's advice back in Civ IV and play through a couple of games with no wonder-building at all. Even if a really tasty wonder is yours for the taking, just don't build it. This is an intervention, and we all care about you.

In addition to injecting some novelty into the game, a couple of wonder-free games really forces you to shake up your play style and show you the power of dedicating hammers to other buildable assets. In the future, you'll be better equipped to analyze the situation and realize that by trying to get the Great Library for the umpteenth time, you might be passing up a really interesting opportunity elsewhere in your empire.

11. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

The obsession with building every World Wonder was what kept me from advancing beyond the lowest level in previous civ games. But when I got Civ 5, I started hanging out on these forums more and learned to accept the fact that I can still have a successful game with very few WWs. I've since moved up to King (with a few random forays into Emperor) and I've never looked back.

12. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

It's quite the opposite for me. I developed some kind of "Wonderphobia" and will usually not take the risk of building any of them as long as I don't know for sure that I'm leading in tech. I always hated the feeling of being beaten by 1-3 turns and IF I managed to get a few important wonders, I usually felt cheap and abandoned these games shortly after. :>

By the end of the game I usually have most of the wonders though, because I'm a warmongering <censored>.

13. SYahoo

SYahoo Chieftain

I have a terrible problem of loading autosaves (especially Immortal and Deity) and wonder building seems to be the enabler. When I miss that wonder by 1-3 turns I tend to load an autosave 5-25 turns earlier and try to get the wonder by working more hammer tiles, chopping trees, forcing a golden age, etc. Sadly, this is the reason I have never submitted a GotM.

It is a horrible condition but the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem!

The second step is to stop queuing up early wonders. :)