Obsolete buildings ?

cemo1956

King
Can a building (not wonder) be made obsolete, by a new tech ??

I can remember in I think Civ2 barracks made in the ancient time was made obsolete when you discovered gunpowder. You had to build new ones ;-(

I was thinking about the same with a series of fortifications (walls) for ancient and medieval time all obsolete by the time of gunpowder.

Vauban started to make his grand Star fortifications all over France and later the rest of western world followed. That kind of fortification was truly different from the old Stone Castle with a stronghold Keep in the center. The effect of the cannon simple destroy those old walls.

Of course one could get along with accumulating defense values but as in RL many fortifications had to be changed. Then all that added defense value could soon make city impossible to take.

Can a building (not wonder) be made obsolete, by a new tech ??

Of course this is possible for every kind of building in C3C. :) I made great use of it in CCM.

OK,
yes I see that you have used the Replace All Impr with this flag checked....

However this will only work on ONE line.

In normal Civ3 Nuclear Plants are replaced by Solar Plants. Both these have this flag so Solar Plants replace Nuclear Plants.

Then if you have lets say as you Barracks with this flag and then later some Democratic Barracks that works, but not if you got a second set of this. Lets say medievel castles and then the Star fortification. Now don´t this mess it up ???

All four will have the flag and whenever a new pops up all the old get replaced.

I looked over the editor again and I see only the Rendered obsolete to work if one got more than one. The new Tech just makes the castle obsolete. Simple indeed. And you used it very well too.

I guess it´s the same as in old Civ2, but I just didn´t see it. Old men get blind ;-(

OK,
yes I see that you have used the Replace All Impr with this flag checked....

However this will only work on ONE line.

In normal Civ3 Nuclear Plants are replaced by Solar Plants. Both these have this flag so Solar Plants replace Nuclear Plants.

Then if you have lets say as you Barracks with this flag and then later some Democratic Barracks that works, but not if you got a second set of this. Lets say medievel castles and then the Star fortification. Now don´t this mess it up ???

All four will have the flag and whenever a new pops up all the old get replaced.

I looked over the editor again and I see only the Rendered obsolete to work if one got more than one. The new Tech just makes the castle obsolete. Simple indeed. And you used it very well too.

I guess it´s the same as in old Civ2, but I just didn´t see it. Old men get blind ;-(

(Never mind ... Old men get blind indeed ... :crazyeye: )

Top Bottom