1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

obsoletes castle - doesn't make any sense!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by DeadFish, Aug 1, 2006.

1. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

All it means pure and simple is that it obsoletes the extra trade route when you found economics as free trade gives you one extra trade route anyways...if you make a quick beeline from eng to free market (say via liberalism) then you won't have much time to build castles anyways.

2. DeadFish

DeadFish Warlord

ok i'll give it a try.

3. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

As far as I recall, it didn't used to work like that in 1.61 vanilla Civ IV! When stonehenge became obsolete, the monuments (or obelisks then) created by stonehenge remained and still gave culture and the only thing that changed was that new cities no longer had them. I guess stonehenge might have been meant to work like it does now and they've simply fixed it?

4. DeadFish

DeadFish Warlord

how the feck closing worldbuilder???? I checked the manual, forum etc - no luck!
    i had to use CTRL,ALT and DEL to close it down.

5. Mesousa

Mesousa -8.38 -6.67

The button on the upper right which says "Exit Worldbuilder" when you move your mouse over it...

I think Castles can't be build anymore after you discovederd Economics, which is rather stupid in my opinion. Let me build them for the defense bonus (Economics doesn't mean pre-gunpowder units are totally out of use, particularly catapults and trebuchets), just don't give me the extra trade route...

6. Lars_Domus

Lars_Domus Say No 2 Net Validations

I thought it always worked like that.. At least it was supposed to :crazyeye: Oh well, I can't be bothered to find my vanilla disc and check :p

7. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

Heh, neither can I.. ;)

8. gdgrimm

gdgrimm Prince

If Stonehedge was your source of "Monuments", then they will disappear when Stonehedge becomes obsolete. The only way to keep the cultural bonus of Monument around is to build it directly. And unfortunately, once you build Stonehedge, you can't build Monuments directly.

BTW, building them directly can be a pretty sweet deal. They age well, and start giving 2:culture: pretty quickly. By the end of the game, that's almost as useful as having played the game with the Creative trait.

9. DeadFish

DeadFish Warlord

good news for guys who are worried about the disappearance of castles - I just tried with worldbuilder, apparently castles, that are built already, stay after Economics like real life.

Phew I'm really glad!

10. Emerald Melios

Emerald Melios Chieftain

Castles were built as late as the 19th century, so I don't really see why they should be "obsolete." The same for monastaries.

11. Pantastic

Pantastic King

That's expected; the effect of Stonehenge is to give you monuments in every city, once it's obsolete it stops working so they go away. For permanent monuments, you need to actually build them.

12. Eternalsteelfan

Eternalsteelfan Prince

It's new to Warlords.

13. Artanis

Artanis King

It's always worked this way.

Incidentally, this is one of the reasons why I don't rush to build Stonehenge compulsively like some of the 'Henge addicts around here. Instead, I just use Cathy ;)

14. dh_epic

dh_epic Cold War Veteran

I still see castles.

15. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

So wait... you've been *****ing about your castles disappearing, and it turns out you never built any?

16. Eternalsteelfan

Eternalsteelfan Prince

I think there's a limit to the m=number of visible buildings in a city, anyway. If you build enough buildings older ones will "disappear". Unless they changed it in WLs.

17. DeadFish

DeadFish Warlord

'So wait... you've been *****ing about your castles disappearing, and it turns out you never built any?'

Well, I was extremely sure I built some. Probably was a hiccup.

This time is fine.

18. Alistic

Alistic Warlord

Castles can anyone say useless? Glad they tried to beef them up but the effort was in vein.