obsoletes castle - doesn't make any sense!

All it means pure and simple is that it obsoletes the extra trade route when you found economics as free trade gives you one extra trade route anyways...if you make a quick beeline from eng to free market (say via liberalism) then you won't have much time to build castles anyways.

ok i'll give it a try.

Lars_Domus said:
No, it's supposed to do that. If you want your monuments to stick around, you'll have to build them separately yourself (no Stonehenge).
As far as I recall, it didn't used to work like that in 1.61 vanilla Civ IV! When stonehenge became obsolete, the monuments (or obelisks then) created by stonehenge remained and still gave culture and the only thing that changed was that new cities no longer had them. I guess stonehenge might have been meant to work like it does now and they've simply fixed it?

how the feck closing worldbuilder???? I checked the manual, forum etc - no luck!
i had to use CTRL,ALT and DEL to close it down.

DeadFish said:
how the feck closing worldbuilder???? I checked the manual, forum etc - no luck!
i had to use CTRL,ALT and DEL to close it down.

The button on the upper right which says "Exit Worldbuilder" when you move your mouse over it...

I think Castles can't be build anymore after you discovederd Economics, which is rather stupid in my opinion. Let me build them for the defense bonus (Economics doesn't mean pre-gunpowder units are totally out of use, particularly catapults and trebuchets), just don't give me the extra trade route...

=DOCTOR= said:
As far as I recall, it didn't used to work like that in 1.61 vanilla Civ IV! When stonehenge became obsolete, the monuments (or obelisks then) created by stonehenge remained and still gave culture and the only thing that changed was that new cities no longer had them. I guess stonehenge might have been meant to work like it does now and they've simply fixed it?

I thought it always worked like that.. At least it was supposed to :crazyeye: Oh well, I can't be bothered to find my vanilla disc and check :p

=DOCTOR= said:
I think there is something screwy going on.

In my current game I had built Stonehenge and had monuments in each of my cities. Then, once I researched Calendar, every city all of a sudden lost its monument. Not just the bonuses, but the entire monument, culture and all, just vanished. :(

Does the original poster have any mods installed that could affect the game..?

If Stonehedge was your source of "Monuments", then they will disappear when Stonehedge becomes obsolete. The only way to keep the cultural bonus of Monument around is to build it directly. And unfortunately, once you build Stonehedge, you can't build Monuments directly.

BTW, building them directly can be a pretty sweet deal. They age well, and start giving 2:culture: pretty quickly. By the end of the game, that's almost as useful as having played the game with the Creative trait.

good news for guys who are worried about the disappearance of castles - I just tried with worldbuilder, apparently castles, that are built already, stay after Economics like real life.

Phew I'm really glad!

Castles were built as late as the 19th century, so I don't really see why they should be "obsolete." The same for monastaries.

=DOCTOR= said:
In my current game I had built Stonehenge and had monuments in each of my cities. Then, once I researched Calendar, every city all of a sudden lost its monument. Not just the bonuses, but the entire monument, culture and all, just vanished. :(

That's expected; the effect of Stonehenge is to give you monuments in every city, once it's obsolete it stops working so they go away. For permanent monuments, you need to actually build them.

MKJ said:
whoa, cant believe i never saw the +1 trade route bonus
i'll be building castles aplenty from now on !

It's new to Warlords.

=DOCTOR= said:
It's always worked this way.

Incidentally, this is one of the reasons why I don't rush to build Stonehenge compulsively like some of the 'Henge addicts around here. Instead, I just use Cathy ;)

I still see castles.

DeadFish said:
good news for guys who are worried about the disappearance of castles - I just tried with worldbuilder, apparently castles, that are built already, stay after Economics like real life.

Phew I'm really glad!
So wait... you've been *****ing about your castles disappearing, and it turns out you never built any?

I think there's a limit to the m=number of visible buildings in a city, anyway. If you build enough buildings older ones will "disappear". Unless they changed it in WLs.

'So wait... you've been *****ing about your castles disappearing, and it turns out you never built any?'

Well, I was extremely sure I built some. Probably was a hiccup.

This time is fine.

Castles can anyone say useless? Glad they tried to beef them up but the effort was in vein.

Top Bottom