1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

OCC Classic

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by RJM, May 6, 2014.

1. RJM

RJM Prince

By way of a change, I have just played a couple of OCCs - using the classic approach, rather than choosing an OCC game. I play a "normal" game, but restrict myself to a single city. This means a number of national wonders and a few other buildings are not available and there is no possibility of a cultural victory.

I had a relatively easy victory at settler and chieftan, but I suspect that things will become more difficult at Warlord. Money is not an issue but various buildings (particularly the religious ones) have less significance.

I wonder what the highest level is at which a victory can be achieved and who is the best leader. Perhaps there are some tricks and techniques I should learn.

Has anyone else tried this?

2. dohh

dohh Warlord

Its doable on deity if permanent alliances is turned on. With good leaders, You are comparable with AI until PA becomes active. If You wanna eliminate PA also as a winning strategy, things would get much more difficult.

Besides difficulty it would hugely depend on:

1) Size of map. With extremely good planning I think I could do up to Emperor on Large and up to monarch on Huge, up to immortal on standard.
    2) Starting location. No need to say, if You have just one single city, it has to be a super-city.
    3) Pure luck. Well, it makes quite a difference if You will have Iron in borders or not. Without Iron and horses its still doable at least up to monarch, via beelining rifles.
    4) Game speed. Marathon games would be much easier.

Best leaders would be IMO: IND > FIN > PHI

3. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

The number of AIs that can realistically be killed before horse units go obsolete might become an issue. Transitioning to tanks and gunships never works for me, not to mention you then need oil as well as horse inside the OCC borders. Maybe some early action with unrestricted leader Samurai to get access to the CR+Drill lines after they upgrade?

Get a map with marble and oracle something nice :)
    Maybe bulb theology for the AP :mischief:

4. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

There is sometimes the option of trading for Iron, Copper, Horse or even Oil. Only one AI needs an extra one of these resources to trade. Considering that one restricts oneself to a single city, paying excessive Wpt for each critical strategic resource one lacks shouldn't be an issue.

With a great start even Deity should be possible to win. In fact this reminds me of a game where a player not only did a true OCC Deity, he did it with the Alway War option. He probably had technology trading turned off on too. Probably Stole technologies from closely founded cities (assuming that is permitted in No Tech Trading games). He used an imperialistic charismatic leader, beelined Rifling and created a stack of all Warlord units with great promotions like Combat VI City Raider III Drill IV etc. Riflemen. He won a conquest victory on Always War OCC Diety normal marathon speed (as I recall it).

Sun Tzu Wu

5. dohh

dohh Warlord

Now, thats something I would like to see:O I can not even imagine that and Einstein said, it´s all about imagination!!

6. Qactus

Qactus Romani ite domum

Have a look at this incredible deity occ always war game by ScorpionK.
    Inspired by that game I played similar settings on emperor or monarch and had great fun. The super units you get with >500xp are just crazy. Still, breaking out of the defensive situation at the right moment (i.e. with rifles) is challenging. Apart from the difficulty setting I made my game easier by playing a small pangaea, meaning less AI had to be conquered in the final crusade.

7. dohh

dohh Warlord

Dont know what is that, or how it is modified, but on normal BtS deity, You wount be able to build that many wonders...

8. Sun Tzu Wu

Qactus, the great game thread you linked to is the same one I was referring to above. You saved me from finding the link myself. Thanks!

Sun Tzu Wu

9. Qactus

Qactus Romani ite domum

@dohh:
    I'm not really sure what you mean. It's regular BtS, not some kind of mod. The only thing that might confuse you is the "unrestricted leaders" option (e.g. Lincoln of Mali).
    Regarding the wonders, he has marble and stone in the BFC. And doesn't have to build settlers. As easy as that. With an IND leader you might build even more, but I wouldn't want to give up PHI (settled great people rock) or CHA (faster super-GGs).

@Sun Tzu Wu:
    Your input on espionage points and your discussion with ScorpionK on how to use the great spies is what made that thread extra-educational for me!

10. Sun Tzu Wu

@Qactus:

I'm glad you enjoyed the discussion on how to use great spies in ScorpionK's thread. When planning to use the espionage slider a lot, building Scotland Yard early, even when it may be one's only great spy makes a lot of sense. On the otherhand, great spy infiltration can be game changing, especially on deity level where keeping up technologically with the AIs can be very difficult, even flawless tech trading.

Sun Tzu Wu