OCC in BNW

marlowe221

Chieftain
Long time Civ player and lurker on these forums here, but I've never posted before so... Hi!

I am out of town working until this evening so while I have purchased the xpac, I haven't had a chance to download and play it yet.

Anyone try OCC yet in BNW? Yeah, I know, Venice. I get it. They look cool and I will try them out.

But I'm talking about genuine, 'sho-enough, OCC. It was one of my favorite ways to play in vanilla and G & K. So I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with how an OCC game works with the new game mechanics/systems they could share with a fellow OCC lover.

Thanks!

Yeah I've played with a few different civs. Its much harder than it used to be. Cultural victories are very hard because of the lack of great work slots. I've only gotten diplo victories so far. I've found that Portugal is very good because of their unique tile improvement you can afford to just sell off all your lux. And the extra gold from trade routes is good.

Noob question here what's OCC mean? I've probably done it but just don't know what ur referring to.

Haven't tried OCC but playing as Venice. I had good start position 4 deer, 1 marble, 4 pearl and 1 fish. Venice is really good civ, especially Merchant of Venice is great. double gold, double influence etc.

Venice is a lot of fun. It's like a occ/regular hybrid because you can have puppets. It also helps that their starting bias is the best in the game. But the gameplay is a bit different than and actual occ

Yeah I've played with a few different civs. Its much harder than it used to be. Cultural victories are very hard because of the lack of great work slots. I've only gotten diplo victories so far. I've found that Portugal is very good because of their unique tile improvement you can afford to just sell off all your lux. And the extra gold from trade routes is good.

I hate to hear that. I guess people aren't playing OCC as much now that Venice is in the game.

It seems like tech would be hampered by going OCC too - is that the case?

I haven't tried OCC yet in BNW, but I was actually thinking that it was going to be easier than in G&K, particularly on high difficulties. This is because the AI are friendlier now (much less likely to DoW), so multiple DoFs are quite possible (more RA's). And once you get trade routes going gold is not as much of an issue for OCC as it was in G&K (plus AI's have more gold on high difficulties for trading).

Sounds like a good idea for an Immortal or Deity Challenge series.

Does the change in culture lead to slower/harder-to-get border pops? I always find myself paying far more attention to border pops in OCC games.

If so, it might be better to gold-farm it up and just buy the tiles you need/want.

When you only get one city, each tile really counts.

Does the change in culture lead to slower/harder-to-get border pops? I always find myself paying far more attention to border pops in OCC games.

If so, it might be better to gold-farm it up and just buy the tiles you need/want.

When you only get one city, each tile really counts.

I found myself more concerned with micromanaging trade routes than tile management. Border growth doesn't seem to be much of an issue if you take tradition and get the monument before legalism

The frenchies are now wonderfull for OCC. Their UA is one of the best with the koreans and Venice for OCC.

Top Bottom