OCCC1- One city Conquest

Kulko

Innocent Bystander
Looking back at the fascinating Account of AG 10-One City Conquest I have always wanted to try something like this myself.

Would there be other People interested in joining me in a small series of SGs.

My Idea would be to start with a training version on alower difficulty to get accustomed to the problems that occur, before finally trying it on Emperor. As added difficulty we could just try to accomplish it without the use of any Army, which where allowed by the original rules.

Lurk = on
Player = debating.

My Idea would be to start with a training version on alower difficulty to get accustomed to the problems that occur, before finally trying it on Emperor.

:confused: Isn't Emperor a lower difficulty?! :mischief:

My preference would be: get some experience on Emperor and then, when we know how this works, try it on Deity for the real challenge... ;)

As general strategy I would try:
- use good tech trading to finish the ancient age quickly
- foment some wars to kill the AI's research capability and try to gain a small tech lead
- use a good medieval UU for the kill

With the Vikings on Archipelago this should be quite doable.
Another option is the Chinese on Continents. (I don't think that Pangea is good on these difficulty levels, because there'll be no way to gain a tech lead on Pangea.)
Ottomans would also be powerful, but I'm not sure whether we'll be able to research up to Military Tradition quickly enough?!

Of course we should use the "one city at end of turn" rule, as otherwise we can't get Armies. (4 towns are required for each Army.)
And I think that tactics like RoP rape, palace jump etc should be allowed, at least in the Deity game.

My preference would be: get some experience on Emperor and then, when we know how this works, try it on Deity for the real challenge... ;)
Well I know it was ages ago and the community has probably learned a few things since then but Aggie and Co just barely made it on Emperor. But I am definitely game for taking this as far as we can manage. But remember on Deity these buggers are already building an awful lot of units, for a OCC to take down.

- foment some wars to kill the AI's research capability and try to gain a small tech lead

Another option is the Chinese on Continents. (I don't think that Pangea is good on these difficulty levels, because there'll be no way to gain a tech lead on Pangea.)
Ottomans would also be powerful, but I'm not sure whether we'll be able to research up to Military Tradition quickly enough?!

Of course we should use the "one city at end of turn" rule, as otherwise we can't get Armies. (4 towns are required for each Army.)
And I think that tactics like RoP rape, palace jump etc should be allowed, at least in the Deity game.
Well I am not sure if we can win on deity fast enough to miss on MT, but I agree, that it would probably be helpful to start the wars in Chivalry. I hadnt thought on Archipelago Vikings, but its also a viiable idea, although Archipelago Games always feel a bit like cheating to me.

As for the timing, I was actually hoping to get a secong game going to keep me occupied, while the space game trots along, but I can always keep myself in training by failing in my SID Conquest attempts.

Something like this

Attachments

• start.JPG
    start.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 442
I'm interested if we stay at or below emperor; I'm afraid my combat skills aren't up to 1CCC on deity, though I'd love to watch someone else do it. Demigod might be possible with some trial runs.

Its definitely the conquests part that makes this more difficult. We sold off buildings to avoid the 20K win. I think map size also makes a huge difference.

If I recall correctly, if the early win fails the lands rapidly fill up again. I think this is what happened to us in the game you linked to. However, I also think resources make a big difference as well - if you have the right kind of start it will go well. A less good can makes the game more interesting though.

Resources will definitely be a problem. That's why I think: if it is doable on Deity at all, then with the Vikings on a non-Pangaea map. So if we do a Deity attempt, then I would vote strongly for the Vikings. Question is: will we do our test-game also with the Vikings, or try something else?

i won´t be able to play, but i think the late modern armour period also should allow for a conquest within the game length, given you can avoid the science victories for the others. of course the start lands need to be really strong.
t_x

but i think the late modern armour period also should allow for a conquest within the game length, given you can avoid the science victories for the others. of course the start lands need to be really strong.
t_x

I've never played OCC before, but I would expect that it will be extremely difficult for just one city to keep up the Deity tech pace right into the modern age?! And even if you do: you still depend on oil and aluminium being available on your landmass! If one of them turns out to be unavailable, the entire effort of the previous three ages will be wasted...

i won´t be able to play, but i think the late modern armour period also should allow for a conquest within the game length, given you can avoid the science victories for the others. of course the start lands need to be really strong.
t_x
Apart from the problem with the ressources needed for modern armour, the second problem would be, that you would need to produce all necessary units during late Industrial, early modern age. as most of these units start new upgrade path.

Resources will definitely be a problem. That's why I think: if it is doable on Deity at all, then with the Vikings on a non-Pangaea map. So if we do a Deity attempt, then I would vote strongly for the Vikings. Question is: will we do our test-game also with the Vikings, or try something else?

My feeling is, that a good and lucky game on a pangea could probably still beat DG, but even that is not a given. So I find the idea of trying it out on Archipelago very intriguing.

But I would think, that Byzanz would be a better idea for such a proposal, as the UU is better suited for keeping the AIs from resettling the sslands we have already cleared and also destroy the core of an AI without having to do a full scale landing, before we are ready.

I would also agree that is more useful, to play the same concept on all difficulty levels. I am not yet sure if I want to start on Monarch or Emperor, but maybe if somebody else (apart from lanzelot) is joining I can start a monarch game immediately and Lanzelots joins for the second go, once the space game is over.

I am not yet sure if Deitya ois possible in this setting, but I also have several rules additions in mind which would allow us to play a archieplagogame into the Modern age (i.e. needing access to all ressources) without breaking the fundamental diffculty of the scenario.

ALso I want to thank all of you for your interesting input but would also like to point out, that this is posted under succession game, so we need players too. Dont be too scared by lanzelots mentioning of deity and stuff, we will get there in time and by then you will be ready, even if your current level is only Emperor.

Apart from the problem with the ressources needed for modern armour, the second problem would be, that you would need to produce all necessary units during late Industrial, early modern age. as most of these units start new upgrade path.

I am not sure about the ressource problem at all. At that late point of the game, even the AS´s should be able to provide most ressources in trades, shouldn´t they?

Sure, production is an issue, that is why I wrote that the cap indeed needs to be a strong producer. Like 1-turn MA... or close to that. I would still think warfare would be possible then.

The main obstacle I see is to keep up near to perfect trading for a whole game, and strategic trading to simply work out.

t_x

...Dont be too scared by lanzelots mentioning of deity and stuff, ...

I really do not want to start our discussion again, however it is just too tempting...
Spoiler :
The funny thing is that I am not scared by the mentioning of Deity, but the mentioning of Lanzelot... :D:D:D

@ Lanzelot
Spoiler :
if you do not find that funny as :lol: just let me know and I´ll delete it...

t_x

So what you are up now? Deity, Vikings, small Archipelago map? will it be generic (good) location or special design?

Top Bottom