1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

OCCC1- One city Conquest

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Kulko, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

We need Republic anyway, if we want to paralize the AIs with war weariness. And I don't think we can afford researching both...
    In fact, the thought that we might play in anything else than Republic never occurred to me so far...! I always took it for granted that we would play the entire game in Republic. (Monarchy is just such a mediocre government. And war weariness will never be a problem for us.) I didn't pay attention: did you play the test game in Monarchy?!

Ivan, you have been talking about the "sling"; I assume you meant the Republic sling as well, didn't you?

2. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

I played in republic, but I thought we should at least discuss it. For a conquest game Monarchy has its advantages.

3. Lanzelot

:)

But no Alphabet just excludes the Hittites and Korea from our list, we still have America, Mongols, Zulu, Germany, Babylon, Russia

So how about this list: America, Mongols, Zulu, Germany, Russia. I don't like Egypt, because they are religious, so won't have a long anarchy. (Plan is to gift them Republic the turn before our attack, and then attack when they are in anarchy... Then when they get out of anarchy, they already suffer from high war weariness... :devil: Or is the AI anarchy period on Deity already so short, that it doesn't matter whether they are religious or not?! :confused: I know that on Sid there is an upper limit of 2 for the AI anarchy.)

4. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Republic give 13 gpt+ (19 with market). At late stage Monarchy better. At early stage as well, as 3 MP. Finally Monachy achievable earlier. However, if we prefer Tech Race it may help.

Wonders: Colossus gives 13 gpt+ and help, of course, but hard to achieve if we want Granary.
    Mausoleum only 4gpt+, not good deal for 200 schields.
    WH very effective on 12 size, and very probable on Archy map.
    TGL - very efficient, I think...

Lighthouse - hard to get if we want TGL. On small map may be doable without it.

5. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

I am still not convinced Scientists is the way to go. Agriculture on a Archimap with very few rivers is probably less helpful to the AI. Ao I would still stick with Inka, Aztecs instead of Germany/Russia

Colossus: I would prefer Colossus to a Granary if we believe we can get it. a granary only helps in the early years, while a colossus stays until the end of the game. More money means we can rushbuild more units.
    MoM: Yes, but at emperor there was a good amount of money where I didnt want to build units yet, because Invention was to far away, and the upkeep would have just cost me turns until oinvention. So for the shields it was either a wonder or Wealth.
    WH: War Happyness? yes of course we want that as much as possible. And yes its very cheap on a Archi map.
    TGL: I Thought thats the Lighthouse? If you mean the great library (GLib), its only useful if we believe we cant lead the techrace. So on demigod I would not build it, but on Deity oit might be better.
    Great Lighthouse: Very good wonder. Viking galleys have no fighting advantage and we dont want to loose any of them while there are troops onboard. However when we can sail on the sea squares, the AI will never attack us.

So I would like to get the Colossus and the Lighthouse and see where we can get from there.

6. Lanzelot

Ok, Inkas and Aztecs are fine too.

I agree with Kulko that MoM would be the best we can do with our shields, if we don't want to drown in unit upkeep early on...

So I would say buildings should be (in that order): Colossus, Lighthouse, MoM, Library, Marketplace, Barracks. Of course the necessary units and workers inbetween. (And perhaps a temple at some point?)
    Granary is indeed not necessary, if we have enough food. (If we can get it at size 4, it will save us 8x10 = 80 food (assuming one worker for a colony somewhere), not that much. Better not risk loosing an important wonder.

7. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Can you roll us a few starts Lanzelot? My Mapfinder installation crashes after abot 30 tries and thats not going to cut it if we want a cow start with a river on a archi map.

8. Lanzelot

:eek: So many tries? I thought we`d roll 4 maps and take the one that looks best... :lol:
    I never used Mapfinder (not the HoF type of player: I usually play out every start that's given to me...)

But I'll try some tomorrow.

9. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

If you dont use it, i can give it a try. Itsbjust that rivers on small archipelago maps are very rare.

10. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Another thing, that we have to avoid is AI on our island. But it is hard to know before 1 turn.

11. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

I would suggest having a third party look on all saves and rule out any save with another AI on our island or zero luxes on our island.

Any Volunteers out there?

12. Lanzelot

Let's not overdo it...

(Although, I just played a start for a few turns, where we had 5 lux resources and (at least) two neighbors on our starting landmass!! Quite a strange map...! Something like that would not be nice...)

13. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

if you upload the saves or send it to me by email, i will check them for you...
    t_x

14. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

To speed up process you may start as Portugal from the same position.
    I see two type of game: slow (Monarchy + GLib) with other useless wonders. There is a risk, that we will not finish AIs "in time".

Fast try is to start military action ASAP to reduce power of strongest AIs and kill weakest.

I still think that Monarchy + Glib better then Republic because extra cash will permit to support more troops.

Playing Republic without wonders (or with Colosus only) will let us to press AIs even earlier...

15. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

@ templar Heres a file with 6 Demigod starts.

Attached Files:

16. templar_x

i'll let you know about them in a couple of hours.
    t_x

17. templar_x

all of the starts you posted have AIs on your island. otherwise they look very mixed. the best one just in case you would dare to try it still would be 00013269.sav in my eyes.
    t_x

18. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

The also have roaming barbs on, as I realized too late. I will roll a few more without that.

19. Lanzelot

And I thought, mine would be the absolutly rare exception... :eek:

Did you also use Archipelago, 80% water? Perhaps we should use Standard instead of Small, to give more room for isolating the tribes. :confused:

20. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Well in my Emeperor game I had 4 of the 6 tribes on isolated island. Unfortunately my island was the one without a luxury. and the one oisland with two tribes generated the runaway AI.

But I tried a few HOF games with small world and 3 opponents and still about half of my starts have an AI on my starting island. OTOH Switching to standard means, better OCN and larger slands for the AI to work with, and there is a bigger chance of inland cities which are a tough nut in this scenario. I would rather think we keep rolling the dice.

IF only I could keep rolling for a complete night instead of restarting very 15 minutes.