1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

#Occupy gettin' Real...arrests in oakland, Iraq War vet in Critical Condition

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by downtown, Oct 26, 2011.

1. GenMarshall

GenMarshall High Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    So I guess Rossa Parks should have stayed in the back of the bus? (I admit not a good analogy, but oh well :shrug: ). Let's ask you something, if you were a protestor (don't shrug the idea off since this is a situational scenario). What would you do?

2. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

You know what also was against the law?

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

That's weird, I've never lived anywhere where parks have closing hours.

4. MjM

MjM Deity

It's actually quite common around here. It's mostly to prevent homeless people from sleeping in them and such.

Still, the police overreacted, which doesn't come as a surprise. They like to flaunt their authority and misuse their power, this is nothing new. Oakland might not take it for long, however.

5. illram

illram Deity

Yes, although the Oscar Grant shooting was by BART officers, protests were centered in Oakland because the trial started there. There were reports of police abuse against protesters in that case. But Oakland has a horrible track record in its own right; they under facing imminent federal takeover related to a Federal Consent Decree handed down over the Oakland Riders scandal (Riders not Raiders). To save the explanation, imagine "Training Day" but in real life in Oakland.

Oakland is a mess. It was a mess and it will apparently continue to be a mess so long as people in charge continue to do things like this. No matter how you feel about these protestors I do not think what the police did in this case was justifiable, and now you have this story about a war vet with a swollen brain on life support in the news, it is yet another disaster for them. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

6. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

This country is telling something to the world that the police state apparatus is increasingly militaristic in scope.

COINTELPRO 2.0

They are barking at the wrong tree. Need to protest in front of all of the FBI headquarters across the country. And to demand the removal of it if they really want a chance to change the country.

7. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

8. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

I would leave the park when the police asked me to do so and come back the next day when it was open. Closing a park isn't a discriminating action like black people having to sit in the back of a bus. Everything of every race, income level, gender, etc has to leave the park when it closes. Protesters do not get a special exception.

9. GenMarshall

We heard you the first time FAL, but frankly I don't agree with that statement.

10. Arwon

Arwon

Yeah I've never heard of public parks being closed after hours either. And if that's the rationale, it's a disgusting and bad law.

11. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

I am for certain that you think deep inside that civil disobedience must be repressed before it gain any more momentum.

12. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

Most public parks I've seen state that they close after 10pm. Its pretty easy for drug deals and such to go down in such places if they were open 24/7 so basically they want people out after dark.

Civil disobedience is fine, but it doesn't mean you don't have to follow city laws. You can always come back the next day when the parks are open.

13. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Someday they'll come for you too.

And I'm sure that policy an end to drug deals! :lol:

14. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Why does it matter he was an Iraq veteran.

Protesters are not special, they are not entitled to any extra use of public property anyone else would not get.

15. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

Let me get this clear. You are saying that the protesters have to follow a city law of curfew while engaging in civil disobedience? I think you are struggling with the concept of what civil disobedience actually means.

16. kulade

kulade Deity

The "occupation" here in Atlanta is officially over. It was never particularly active; I have to walk by the area nearly everyday, but Woodruff Park is quite small and became overcrowded and trashed. A man also brought an AK to the festivities, and although the mayor had extended their time to stay, he eventually ordered it shut down and around 50 kids were arrested, although most have been released already.

And now the park is closed off to all passersby, so now I have to walk around the whole thing on my way, rough life. :mad:

17. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Exactly. However, that distinction only matters to the protestors. It's the height of irony (and an example of why these people are not serious) protestors are complaining about being arrested while engaging in civil disobedience

18. GenMarshall

If the Tea Party Movement did this, there'd certantly won't be any kind of arrests.

19. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Why don't you think protesters should follow the law?

20. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

I think the complaints are that they are being fired at by tear gas and rubber bullets, and other forms of brute force.