Occupying resource tiles

garciamedavar

Chieftain
Can my city work tiles or resources if an enemy unit is standing over them?
Was there any CIV game where that tile-blocking was possible?

Can my city work tiles or resources if an enemy unit is standing over them?
Was there any CIV game where that tile-blocking was possible?

Civ 6 you can. Civ 5 you couldn't. Can't recall prior iterations right now for sure, but I think this may be new to Civ 6.

I like the "new" mechanic. It was just TOO EASY for the human player to strangle / starve the AI players into submission. Methinks it's not entirely new (civ3 or just a mod?) - surely 'possible tile-blocking' was in the majority of the iterations ...

I clearly recall it for civ1 (and civ2) being the most exploitable: Back then the units needed 1 production point _direct_ maintenance (typically from the garrisoned city).
Ie. with outdated units like militia or phalanxes occupying every single shield-producing tile on the outer "ring" the city often had to DISBAND ALL BUT ONE OR TWO defenders and so 3 or 4 musketeer / infantry on the inner "ring" could easily conquer the proud city on the hills, which was once defended by maybe 7 or 8 fortified musketeer / infantry!!!

I like the "new" mechanic. It was just TOO EASY for the human player to strangle / starve the AI players into submission. Methinks it's not entirely new (civ3 or just a mod?) - surely 'possible tile-blocking' was in the majority of the iterations ...

I clearly recall it for civ1 (and civ2) being the most exploitable: Back then the units needed 1 production point _direct_ maintenance (typically from the garrisoned city).
Ie. with outdated units like militia or phalanxes occupying every single shield-producing tile on the outer "ring" the city often had to DISBAND ALL BUT ONE OR TWO defenders and so 3 or 4 musketeer / infantry on the inner "ring" could easily conquer the proud city on the hills, which was once defended by maybe 7 or 8 fortified musketeer / infantry!!!

I agree. In earlier Civ versions that mechanism did create some tension between "killer stacks" and spreading your units out, as a tactical matter, but Civ 5 & 6 create more interesting tactical decisions militarily. I was dubious about the change when Civ 6 first came out, but it does seem to work okay when combined with the ability to pillage improvements and districts and the ability to put a city into siege. Denying the city the use of those tiles would be piling on given the other game mechanics.

Top Bottom