Ocean going galleasses

ExpiredReign

Deity
Is there any way galleasses can gain the ability to traverse oceans that isn't obvious to the player?

I am still surprised to see the AI sailing these units across oceans when I can't.

Even when a fishing boat can, and a unit can after Astronomy is researched these units still must stick to the coast. It irks me about these things and when fleets of them come across the seas to my shores it does so even more.

Only CPP is installed so it isn't a mod conflict. Any ideas?

Is there any way galleasses can gain the ability to traverse oceans that isn't obvious to the player?

Don't think so, earlier ships did get the ability to traverse oceans after astronomy in vanilla, but that ability was removed for some reason (probably makes sense, but it's annoying).

How does the AI do that?

They have PROMOTION_OCEAN_IMPASSABLE, which should make ocean...impassable.

Seems like it would be easy enough to swap that promotion for PROMOTION_OCEAN_IMPASSABLE_UNTIL_ASTRONOMY.

Is there an immersion reason that the galleas is forever a coastal ship?

I forgot mentioning this earlier, but if I remember correctly your galleasses can travel ocean-tiles within your territory.

So I take it that no-one is seeing the AI sailing their galleasses across oceans?

What ever the reason, having these ships stuck to the coast is just weird and annoying.

Is that AI the Maoi by chance?

If you mean the Polynesians, then no, they were Korean.

Argh, sorry I did mean Polynesians. Not sure but could it be the Korean have a specific UU feature for seafaring too?

How does the AI do that?

They have PROMOTION_OCEAN_IMPASSABLE, which should make ocean...impassable.

Seems like it would be easy enough to swap that promotion for PROMOTION_OCEAN_IMPASSABLE_UNTIL_ASTRONOMY.

Is there an immersion reason that the galleas is forever a coastal ship?

Galleases aren't fitted for ocean travel due to its shallow hulk. They sink easily. So yes, there's an immersion reason.

sometimes one or more of my galleas can go into ocean but others cant,

also from game design point of view its a really bad design since frigates cost iron, which means only a few of your galleas can be upgraded into frigates, and the rest are destined to be forever stuck to coasts

So I take it that no-one is seeing the AI sailing their galleasses across oceans?

What ever the reason, having these ships stuck to the coast is just weird and annoying.

I did see it and wrote about it earlier. I guess my bug report came too late for the fix to make it to the latest beta (or just went unnoticed, since this was in the bug report thread, not github and I imagine it was easy to miss some of the posts there).

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=14243920&postcount=5014

Top Bottom