1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ocean Miasma

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Barathor, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

It's a shame there still isn't any miasma found out in the seas, especially for those oceanic harmony players. Does anybody else find that little awkward now with Rising Tide bringing the oceans to life?

I'm guessing the main reason for this is because of the way naval units heal.

Do you think this is another one of the old Civ 5 rules that should be thrown out in BE? Should naval units be allowed to heal just like all other land units? We have plenty of mechanized vehicles healing away outside of cities and friendly territory, why not continue to stretch realism a bit, or abstract it for gameplay purposes, and let naval units do the same?

Are there any other reasons why they've decided to not bring miasma into the seas?

2. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I thought there was Miasma on the Sea?

3. aguliondew

aguliondew Prince

That is xenomass that looks like a pool of green oil.

4. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

When you found an outpost/city, the colonist automatically clears out the miasma. Maybe moving an ocean city would also destroy the miasma. This is just a thought. I'm not sure if my supposition is correct or what it would mean from either a gameplay or technical standpoint.

5. oldag07

oldag07 Warlord

I think they said miasma would be on oceans. However, I haven't seen it in the videos yet.

6. omniclast

omniclast Prince

They are using hydrocoral to restrict movement on the seas instead. It will be functionally similar to miasma, by being a negative terrain feature you have to clear to work or move through the tile, but with a few key differences, like the fact that it is totally impassable, it spreads, and creates alien anger when you clear it. Using hydrocoral instead of just expanding miasma to the seas looks like one of the ways they're going to differentiate water terrain from land terrain, which they will need to do to ensure that water terrain doesn't just become more land and give us ICS: ultimate edition.

Plus, as a non Harmony player, thank God there's no miasma on water. Go make some yourself :p

7. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

True, I agree, with the Hydercoral bottlenecks it's defeniately something to hamper the colonization of water since it is nothing more than just flat land.

8. Gritf

Gritf Chieftain

Also, even if alien lifeforms in water have about the same strenght that land based ones, many of your units will be embarked most of the time, wich makes them extra weak against them.

9. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

I've been viewing hydracoral more like impassable mountains, which are more dynamic to match the nature of the seas.

Sea miasma would be combined with the hydracoral -- the seas would still be pretty roomy compared to land which has permanent mountain barriers, miasma, AND canyons... along with other features which slow down units like rivers, marshes, forests, and hills (making miasma more dangerous).

Actually, while I'm thinking about it, the added miasma wouldn't be as dangerous to naval units as it is on land anyway because of their high movement speeds and there being no ocean features which snag movement (do hydracoral even emit zones of control?). The miasma patches would need to be denser.

I guess it would also be a little weird to impose these miasma gameplay rules on units like submarines which travel submerged.

10. MasterEcabob

MasterEcabob Warlord

I thought I remember someone bringing up spreading Miasma to ocean tiles with the upgraded Rocktopus's passive ability?

Also, I wonder if the xeno siren can "draw" hydrocoral, or encourage it to spread in a certain way way from your cities.

11. oldag07

oldag07 Warlord

So it seems like harmony will be nerfed on the sea because their miasma bonuses won't extend to the ocean.

12. Doviello

Doviello Warlord

Probably the strength bonus in miasma will be exclusive to land units; naval units will have a different set of affinity bonuses.

The lack of miasma in the ocean will be balanced with the ability to leash siege worms and krakens :)

13. VCrakeV

VCrakeV Prince

Leashing those beasts will be almost, if not impossible. Besides, it seems like more of a supremacy thing. In the current game, there's a quest that ends up in eradicating aliens (purity), adopting them as pets (harmony), or domesticating them for work (supremacy).

14. Doviello

Doviello Warlord

I don't know, i feel actually using the aliens, as units, is more of an "adopt", thing, while "domesticating" them is more in line with turning them into a bonus yield for farms or something.

Why impossible? It's just a matter of moving near them and using the ability, which seems very easy, even more if they are green.

(although they said bigger aliens will require a higher affinity to be leashed, which means by the time we can leash the big ones, they will be outdated in terms of combat strength)

15. VCrakeV

VCrakeV Prince

I remember something being said about explorers having to be strong enough to survive the encounter.