Ocean Terrain and Graphics

primem0ver

Emperor
I am starting this conversation because of my interests, longstanding map simulation project, and my potential contribution to this mod; and because of this post by Toffer90

You may find these somewhat interesting:

C2C Graphics
• The last image there is a coastal terrain with a texture that makes the water plane opaque.​

C2C Graphics
• In the spoiler there, the continental shelf terrain texture makes it look like the coast stretch far out from land.​

C2C Graphics
• that continental shelf terrain looked a bit odd in the middle of the ocean though.​

I am curious as to why the lake graphics are not being used (Like them a lot!). As Thunderbrd is aware, I have been working on a realistic map generator in C++ for years which actually simulates physical processes in order to work out where landforms, terrain types, vegetation, and resources would actually be.

Most of the graphics that I have wanted to use for ocean topology already exist in the above collections. I am curious why they aren't being used yet...

The other curiosity I have at this point is if the ocean can use a generic terrain type until a player builds a "Map the Ocean Floor" project which would be enabled by an appropriate technology. At that point, all ocean tiles would be changed to the "real" tile that should be there (as generated by the map).

Top Bottom