October patch progress update (release: originally October 28, now 1 week delay)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No info on stadia update :-/

It's so ridiculous that you need to spend 1000 on hardware to play a game that costs 50. While at the same time one spends 50 per month for fast internet connection anyway!

was that confirmed ?

it was a "maybe" in the blog post.

Yes, they leave it open. But I really hope they release a beta version - who is willing to use a beta knows what (s)he up to and will accept some technical instability to be able to test out the gameplay changes. Doing so will likely lead to a better and (in best case) even faster stable patch release, while worst case it would not change anything about the delay we have anyway.

Hello folks,

do you think the negative reception of the game can be turned around through patches? Are the main issues solveable through such means? I have read some reviews stating that only complete overhauls of some systems could make the game better.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Hello folks,

do you think the negative reception of the game can be turned around through patches? Are the main issues solveable through such means? I have read some reviews stating that only complete overhauls of some systems could make the game better.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

That's a nearly meaningless phrase. A 'Complete Overhaul" of ANY game's systems might make that game better - for some people - or it might make it worse. Aside from things like the near-unlimited Faction-changing, which as a historian I find hard to live with, the game's problems are largely related to balance and pacing issues, especially in regard to certain 'currencies' and in the late game.
Aside from noting that Civ VI has had similar problems since it same out and is still being played, I would also note that those problems are related to the numerical relationship between and amongst Yields, Bonuses, and Rewards of all kinds in the Civics choices, Religious Tenets, Technologies, Infrastructures, etc. Numbers are the easiest things to change in a computer, though, and my understanding is that the new Update addresses some of the numbers.

I guarantee you that Any changes made will please some gamers, enrage others, and leave yet others completely indifferent. The only important question is whether it makes your personal game better or worse.

Number me among the Optimists.

From what I've seen, it hasn't so much been negative reception as it has been constructive criticism from people who want to love the game, but can't get past a couple issues.

Agreed. Every problem is one that’s common with most games at launch, and for me at least, this game does so many things well(and often better than Civ) that I’m willing to overlook, for example, that religion is really badly implemented.

Last edited:
posting negatively abouth something is the shortcut to appear knowledgeable, to paint oneself proficient and fully in the know of the subject matter

"this person is hard to please, so must know stuff"

weird times

equally strange are the micro influencers and sign spinners attempting to convince you the broken stuff is perfect

how do you guys feel about sega tracking your user input through garry.sgaas.net?

posting negatively abouth something is the shortcut to appear knowledgeable, to paint oneself proficient and fully in the know of the subject matter

weird times

equally strange are the micro influencers and sign spinners attempting to convince you the broken stuff is perfect

how do you guys feel about sega tracking your user input through garry.sgaas.net?

I always have assumed that any website anywhere is either tracking everything on it or anything on it can be tracked at all times by anyone who wants to - and my input is phrased accordingly. Anybody who doesn't assume that is fooling themselves.

Agreed. Every problem is one that’s common with most games at launch, and for me at least, this game does so many things well(and often better than Civ) that I’m willing to overlook, for example, that religion is really badly implemented.

I draw comparisons between how this game is received and Old World, another Civ-style competitor. I see few of the complaints that Humankind has (such as dreadful balancing, wonky pacing, badly implemented mechanics like pollution, immersion breaking culture swaps) also directed towards Old World. It's common for games to have problems, but Humankind seems to have more than its fair share.

weird times

I'm not sure what the purpose of this post is. Are you claiming I'm attempting to appear knowledgeable through my post? I would have thought my post made it clear I wasn't; it was a question after all. :D I don't even own the game yet.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

I draw comparisons between how this game is received and Old World, another Civ-style competitor. I see few of the complaints that Humankind has (such as dreadful balancing, wonky pacing, badly implemented mechanics like pollution, immersion breaking culture swaps) also directed towards Old World. It's common for games to have problems, but Humankind seems to have more than its fair share.
2 reasons, first Old World is good, was already good in EA, is better than civ5, civ6 and HK as a 4x IMO so it's perfectly normal that people don't complain about it.

Second, no one expected Old World to be civ7, it targets a much smaller player base, and that base knew what it was going to get, and got that.

While HK generated a very big hype and a lot of people expected it to be civ7. Thankfully (for me) it's not, but this caused a backslash by all people disappointed by that, and the actual issues with balance didn't help either.

But I do think the base is good, and people should give it some time to mature into something better.

2 reasons, first Old World is good, was already good in EA, is better than civ5, civ6 and HK as a 4x IMO so it's perfectly normal that people don't complain about it.

Second, no one expected Old World to be civ7, it targets a much smaller player base, and that base knew what it was going to get, and got that.

While HK generated a very big hype and a lot of people expected it to be civ7. Thankfully (for me) it's not, but this caused a backslash by all people disappointed by that, and the actual issues with balance didn't help either.

But I do think the base is good, and people should give it some time to mature into something better.

When I read of Humankind's flaws, I don't read that it's "not Civ 7" so I think that's an unfair statement. In fact, many comments I see say that they DON'T want Civ 7, as the series has grown stale and repetitive. I read complaints along the lines I mentioned; its poorly balanced, the pacing is off, the mechanics don't hit the mark and so on. "Civ Killer" is often said, but I don't think that means anyone expected the game to be Civ 7. Quite the opposite.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

the only possible "civ-killer" IMO is civ7, that why I used that reference. but yep, you could replace "civ7" by "civ-killer" in my previous post, they have the same meaning when I write it, I just don't like this expression that I associate with influencers needing sensational link titles to get views.

I always have assumed that any website anywhere is either tracking everything on it or anything on it can be tracked at all times by anyone who wants to - and my input is phrased accordingly. Anybody who doesn't assume that is fooling themselves.

what a peculiar read. we aren't being fooled by companies like sega, it's just us fooling ourselves

they are using bandwidth paid by us to collect data we ourselves produce without openly giving us the option not to do this for free

I'm not sure what the purpose of this post is. Are you claiming I'm attempting to appear knowledgeable through my post? I would have thought my post made it clear I wasn't; it was a question after all. :D I don't even own the game yet.

no, i was ranting on the review culture in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom