1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] October Update Video Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Laurana Kanan, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

What I meant was that in the TerrainStyle.artdef where textures are applied onto Mountains there are only two types of graphical mountains you have: RidgelineMountain and DesertMountain. You can change the appearance of these (as in the Pirates scenario) but you can't have more than two kinds of graphically differentiated mountains AFAIK since the collections are hardcoded. Would be happy to be proved wrong.

Meluhhan and TheMarshmallowBear like this.
  2. CoconutTank

CoconutTank Unapologetic Warmonger Supporter

Pirates seems kind of cool. I want to give that a swing, or at least I feel more motivated about Pirates than Red Death personally. Will we be getting a scenario for Beyond Earth or Empires of the Smoky Skies in the future maybe? :lol:

Edit: I am an unapologetic coward :crazyeye:

Edit2: Decided to start up a GC session in case the unconditional +1 movement goes away, and dang it feels so nice, will be so sad if it really goes away :cry:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  3. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I miss the blue marble terrain.

4. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Civilization VI was a half-baked game turned into a good game, not a great one.
    Now it's turning into a platform for minigames.
    Whatever Firaxis' vision for the future, it definitely includes me not participating.

The Civs 6, Elhoim, Abaxial and 4 others like this.
  5. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Are you not legally allowed to say "RON HOWARD VOICE"?

6. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

But still, ski resorts in the desert and tropical climates are rarities because of:
    1. general lack of ski culture in these areas
    2. cost of building
    3. General rule: closer to the equator higher attitude is needed to maintain snow.
    4. Ski resorts are not commonly built above 3200 meters above sea level.
    This reduces the possibility of creating ski resorts in tropical areas or in very high mountains. That's why I think we should not have the possibility of building ski resorts on a desert or tropical mountains, the same way as we cannot build farms on desert and tundra titles. This is all about.

7. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I agree though I doubt we'll have a problem with them on tropical mountains considering ski resorts most likely won't be in the Pirates Scenario. ;)
    Now if they go into the base game that might be a different story and I could see them changing up the way ski resorts work.

nzcamel likes this.
  8. Knightfall

Knightfall Warlord

My thoughts:
    - The Pirates! scenario looks fun, and I like the tribute to the old Pirates! games that it seems to contain. That said, I generally don't play scenarios that often, so I'll probably only play this once. Also, I think the complaints that things like this scenario are "making Civ something it's not" are kind of missing the point. Civ VI is kind of close to the end of its support lifespan, so I think they're using it as a "testbed" of sorts, to try out new concepts (like having a Civ with no cities) without messing with the main game.
    - The Recruit Partisans change is definitely needed, although I don't know how effective this specific change will be at rectifying player complaints.
    - The other changes all look good, and address what seem to be fairly longstanding complaints about the game (I've definitely noticed the Holy Site spam, and it does hobble the AI somewhat).

The one thing I do wish they would implement is a way to rollback to previous versions of the game. The constant updates are nice, but the fact that they're constantly breaking saves is not.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  9. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

As far as I understood, DF bonus did not scale with game speed, so playing slow games could lead to the playing sitting in far too much favor points, which also could be used to easily explote AI trade.

Fxs not considering game speed or map size in balance is an old story in Civ VI. I wondered for a long time if they have a terrible QA, or if they just didnt care. I think it may be a combination of both.

Agree with your general assessment of the game, though i dont think the last part is fair.

Yes they are adding scenarios and modes. However, those dont take away from the main game at all. My problem with the recent release plan of Fxs is that they are not putting the time or resources to balance properly the new modes, or to refine the new mechanics or to add the propper AI to make the new modes playable in long term.

If they were not willing to make the new modes properly, I dont know why they bothered at all. I wish now they decided to release a regular expansion or overhauled the mechanics that still feel unfinished. Overall, the saddest part about Civ VI is the ton of potential they wasted.

On my side I will not bother with Civ VII unless they correct course and lead for a deeper more compeling cohesive simulation-management game, instead of the casual multiplayer boardgame-like style of basing everything on numerical modifiers and charges that becomes too repetitive and provides little meaningful choices. At least that is my opinion.

10. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

The level of opinion masquerading as fact in this thread is truly overwhelming, so I won’t be reading it anymore! (Because it seems in the new world we all announce our departures?)

Looking forward to the balance of Maya/GC. Hope the other Civs get some love before NFP is finished

11. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

It would be truly tragic if they were taking away from the game. (I know this is not what you wanted to say, but I had to say this haha).
    The game is absolutely fantastic until turn 150 and then suddenly forgets what it wanted to say.
    No, I don't want new game modes, I just want the game I paid for three times already working properly.

Elhoim, glider1 and Whiterussian like this.
  12. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Have you considered that it more or less does work properly and that you just don't like it? Nobody's making you play. By all means, advocate for the changes that you want to see, but let's keep some perspective, too.

King Rad, pjotroos, Haig and 7 others like this.
  13. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Hey, a map that doesn't just arbitrarily chop us off! :love:

NZ ski fields.PNG

As once a day/night cycle would have been hard too. It will happen eventually.
    Yes and no. The much lower temperatures present in Winter are a factor for snow regardless of the terrain below. Obviously it's more complicated than that (I have it on good authority you can ski somewhere in NZ 11 months of the year if you can afford a chopper) but from a basic POV, there will be minimal snow in summer, plenty in winter.

You'd be correct. You can't just manufacture a permanent ski field out of nothing, though obvious exceptions (like small indoor ski fields) exist.

All of which is too much detail for a game like Civ. Were we to apply that logic to all improvements etc the game would get more fiddly. I wouldn't mind if it were harder to build ski fields, like maybe only one per city (or you could build one per city in your empire, but they wouldn't have to be in each city individually); rather than them being spammed everywhere... but you're getting way too detailed over this in terms of trying to limit them to certain terrains.

Knightfall likes this.
  14. Whiterussian

Whiterussian Warlord

Nice if it works for you. Since the Frontier pass i have constant CTD (tested on different systems, win7 win10 linux) So no. It does not work properly. And yes they took that away from me. I for one can now not play anymore.
    And if you bother reading the technical secsion you notice i am a minority. But not the only one who can not play it anymore.

15. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

No it doesn't work properly.
    The fact that we learned how to work around issues and pretend they're not a big deal is what we are in 2020, because it's the only way to realistically cope with the worrying number of things we are supposed to be using, things that are supposed to be working both by themselves and as part of a bigger picture.
    In this regard, Civ6 is a scary reflection of our own reality, and it's frankly irritating, because it's so familiar and yet so unwanted in a computer game.

If you can't build a simple system (say, campus) that interlocks well with two other systems (say, terrain and policy cards) that's actually robust, the solution is not to add more interlocking systems that add to the complexity and then shake the whole system up and pretend it's working now. I mean, sure you can pretend, but to what end?
    Taken from the example of campuses, it's assinine that a flatland start can't compete in science, because "ho-hum no adjacency that ties into so much stuff". Adding some arbitrary adjacencies like geothermal and reefs is a bandaid, not a fix. If Firaxis wants science to be a sign of a well developed, multi-cultural, trade-connected nation, with resources to spare on non-essential activities like research, it should encourage using flexible things like trade connections, and citizen allocation.
    I think you can see how a campus with a library that's +2 by itself, but +8 with an outgoing trade connection to a neighbor is suddenly making that caravan worth protecting.
    There are too many things (espionage, trade, naval etc.) that are just "there", thrown in and never given a second thought.

The example with campus is not an arbitrary "I'd like it like this". It's "okay, now it's working with / contributing to another system and it makes sense. NOW I can say whether I like it or not".

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Elhoim likes this.
  16. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

"If they go into the base game" was a scenario for my posts :)
    Probably even if they do, jungle mountains will be just a graphical feature for regular mountain titles. ;) But it is always good to talk about what we would like to see in a game.;)

This is the best description of this game I have ever found :)

Knightfall and oakdragon like this.
  17. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

With the engine the way it is, I'm not sure it's possible. But obviously not every mountain is well suited for skiing. Especially in the desert. We have what you'd call alpine mountains (it's more of a local hiking term, couldn't actually find a description on google), meaning mountains with pine trees. Which means you need enough precipitation to support such trees. But in the mojave desert where I live, most mountains aren't alpine. Mount Charleston is the only one I can think of actually, since the desert officially ends when you get to the Sierra Nevadas. Colorado plateau has many alpine mountains. But also many desert mountains which might rise up a couple thousand feet (over 600 meters), and not something I would consider hills, but only in the most extreme winter storms will they ever get snow.

I would say make ski resorts more powerful, but less spammable. But with the focus of the game as it is (more board game, less realism), I doubt they really care. Perhaps if they ever shift focus to a more realistic approach in a future game, they could address such things. And of course there are distinctions between high desert and low desert, which is also something not represented in game. But I feel like that isn't really necessary to differentiate, at least not with the game focus the way it currently is.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Knightfall likes this.
  18. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

I mean, that's bad. But surely it's something specific to your system or the way that you're trying to play the game. Are you using mods? Do you have a weird hardware configuration? Have you contacted Firaxis/2k and opened a support ticket? As you say, you're clearly in a small minority of players. For most of us, the game is working just fine. I hope that you get a fix soon!

So, the game works just fine and you don't like the way it works. I'm pretty sure that's how it is. Clearly, it's working well enough for the many thousands of other players out there who continue to play every day.

19. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

Honesltly both sides have a point here. The game works mostly well, even If I think some important mechanics are objectively weak. I think also that some of these issues go beyong a matter of simple opinion. For example, in the apocalypse mode: the lack of progresion, the removal of global warming in the final stage, global warming being tied to comets (I have not played newer modes but I would not be surprissed to find a similar feel)... In the main game; the lack of depth and consistency in the DF penalty, the religious combat constant repetition, the WC lack of meaningful resolutions, or the also borderline annoying repair mechanics. Are all examples of these things, and probaly other players have many others to add to the list.

Other aspects such as the lack of vassals are objectively bad choices in my opinion.

None of this mean that the game does not work properly, but are in my opinion places where Fxs cut corners and compromised the quality of the final game, which to me is not aceptable. I know this is an opinion, but I dont think is an unfair one.

However, there are also big important parts that do not work. For example the World Builder and the AI domination (more accurately the imposibility of the AI to achieve domination).

These are hugue problems in the game, and all those problems together can led some players to feel that the game is unfinished or even broken. I dont share that opinion, but I do share some of the feeling of disapointment, and I dont think It is a totally unreasonable position to hold.

20. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Well, sure. And I said as much initially when I supported advocating for changes. There are plenty of improvements that I'd like to see, too. But to say that the game just doesn't work is hyperbolic silliness.