1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] October Update Video Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Laurana Kanan, Oct 13, 2020.

1. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Prince

It may be a bit hyperbolic but is not silly, Im not sure if you get what I was trying to say.

If you for example are a player that enjoys playing domination, there is no saying about it. Play a game with domination victory only, and the player is the only civ that is able to win, cause AI is unable to achieve domination even if playing alone. That is, domination victory is objectively broken. As this is a major part of the game for many, saying the game does not work as it should is not incorrect from this perspective.

So please take into account that not all players are the same, and that at least one major aspect of the game is indeed broken and does not work, and maybe other aspects that are important to players may also not work. So, before accusing someone of silliness, is better to ask what they mean and why, cause chances are they have reasons to say what they say and you may be misrrepresenting them or worse.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Elhoim, Caprikel and japanesesamurai like this.
  2. Potworny

Potworny Warlord

Green mountains of the Pirate Scenario make me wish of unique terrain graphics for every in-game continent. I feel like it would just make sense from gameplay design perspective, as well as be dope.

3. Knightfall

Knightfall Chieftain

I think someone already made a mod that adds green mountains. But I agree with your larger point.

Pfeffersack and 8housesofelixir like this.
  4. Haig

Haig Deity

Agree with Kwami, have 1700hrs in the game and I love it so for me it works mighty fine!

Back to my Norway campaign -->

5. Abaxial

Abaxial King

Well, it's conspicuous in the case of World Builder that it actually SAYS it's unfinished when you fire it up. So, like, WHY NOT FINISH IT? Instead of fiddling around with adjusting things that didn't need adjusting?

6. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

That would be so important to me.

7. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

1000000% agree. This is the biggest visual disappointment of Civ 6 to me. Civ 5 had it and it was wonderful.

AntSou, Hawke9, Myomoto and 5 others like this.
  8. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

Sometimes I think people seem to judge the game on a "0" "1" scale. It is either excellent and everyone who dares to point out some bad things we have in a game is just a bunch of complaining haters, or it's terrible and everyone who tries to focus on good things is a casual fanboy :) Reality is much more complex. The game is overall good, or to be more precise I subjectively like it. I wouldn't spend over 1000 hours playing it, and instantly buy all DLC if it were otherwise.
    But. It does not mean the game hasn't problems or badly designed features. Without them, the game would be even better. And this is why many people are pointing out these things. They just want the game to be better.
    The game is overall good but still has:
    a) bad AI
    b) dull late-game caused by the strong snowball effect
    c) badly designed win conditions that make the game a chase for points, or are just too complicated to understand for casual players (culture win), or just terrible (diplomacy)
    d) not competitive for experienced players and at the same time too complex for beginners.
    e) asymmetrical strategies earned only with Civs design, and still rather narrow lined for a certain win condition.
    f) lack of mod support
    This not mean the game is bad. I still like it despite all those things. Some things enumerated above are hard to improve now, at this stage of the game development (and can possibly be improved in Civ VII). But some of them can be improved. I think we should not ignore all disadvantages of the game. In the end, it is feedback for developers that should be always welcomed.

oSiyeza, c4c6, Meluhhan and 8 others like this.
  9. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

I don't think anyone is saying the game is beyond reproach or criticism (no game at all is). Heck, right above you, myself and some others are wishing for further improvements in the graphics department (the return of continent-specific tilesets from Civ 5).

However, when you have certain posters come into these threads with a long history of just making sarcastic, negative comments about the game only to repeat themselves yet again, I don't think that's providing helpful feedback for the developers.

Helpful feedback is identifying something that could be improved and suggesting potential alternatives - all in a polite manner, because after all, we all are human beings who deserve respect.

Unhelpful feedback is coming into a thread about new content, dumping all over it with smug sarcasm, leaving, and repeating the process over and over. This isn't helpful at all and the childish tone immediately puts everyone (those of us who enjoy the game despite its flaws and surely the developers reading the comments) on the defensive.

King Rad, shaglio, sonicmyst and 8 others like this.
  10. Potworny

Potworny Warlord

In Civ V it was just a fun visual detail, in Civ VI it would enchance the readability of the entire game, I think, the same way districts have colored roofs for visibillity. Continents are an essential mechanic now after all. I need this and a trader lens to live.

Hawke9, Myomoto, conorbebe and 8 others like this.
  11. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

Excellent point! With the emphasis on "playing the map" Civ 6 has, this feature would be as functional as it is beautiful.

Hawke9, Knightfall and Potworny like this.
  12. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

I am on board with more graphical improvements and variety in a game. Speaking of it:

Found on reddit: desert farms. This would be so good for Berbers (possibility of building farms on desert title adjacent to Oasis or Foggara UI)

King Rad, Hawke9, conorbebe and 12 others like this.
  13. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Visually it looks a lot nicer than the current tundra farms. :mischief:

Hawke9, Myomoto and Knightfall like this.
  14. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Wow, this picture looks great!

I love ...
    a) the (desert) farms
    b) the city sprawl surrounding and therefore connecting the two city tiles. This is something I always disliked in Civ6: The fact that city district always look so detached, isolated and not actually part of the same city. (Enhanced by the different roof coloration, which is certainly useful for the readability, but also ruins a coherent city appearance.)

Is this from a known mod?

Hawke9, Caprikel and Knightfall like this.
  15. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

Knightfall and Deggial like this.
  16. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

I always thought the desert should be a bit more survivable, whether as a civ ability or as a late-game tech related to Oasis or Aqueduct.

Knightfall likes this.
  17. Alexander's Hetaroi

They've started to implement it with a few civs like Mali and Australia. Even Inca can build their Terrace Farms on desert hills.
    I would like some sort of infrastructure that does deal with oasis in the game other than an aqueduct.

One idea that I've seen is commercial hubs getting adjacency bonuses. Also maybe a new desert resort improvement similar to the ski resort or seaside resort.

Myomoto and Knightfall like this.
  18. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

Oasis has the problem of suffering from map generation RNG. It is possible that your game only has 1 or 2 Oases on the entire map and effectively turned your Oasis-focused civ into a "vanilla" civ.

I would say, since oasis is very situational, an oasis bonus should be a very strong one (therefore you will have a strong but situational bonus) entirely centered around the oasis.
    I would suggest the oasis works like the Nubian Pyramid for the oasis civ: When your City Center is adjacent to an oasis, the oasis gives another +2 food +2 production, and every district adjacent to that oasis will receive a +2 adjacency as well as give the oasis a corresponding yield bonus.

19. Alexander's Hetaroi

Yeah I was specifically talking about maybe the Commercial Hub could maybe get adjacency bonuses for Oasis too for every civ so you wouldn't have to just be near rivers to build a good one or harbor
    But I agree that for a civ like Berbers, oasis would need to be stronger.

20. Chekko

Chekko Chieftain

Snow/Desert tiles should be able to have 0.5 yields, or some food bonus resources. Feels a bit off how some tiles in this game are so useless.