1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd, but interesting

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by CivAgamemnon, Jul 22, 2002.

1. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon King

I decided to try to play a 1.21f patched game with 1.29f... and got a nice surprise. I've attached a small screenshot for your convience. This is what I got upon loading.

Background: I was playing the Americans on chieftain level. The year is 1848. To make a long story short... the load box said... "Future Tech 1848 Passwords Unsatisfied" (I cut my real name out for protection :D ).

Two things:

1) I was not researching any future tech at the time- I was in the industrial age, IIRC.

2) Passwords? What passwords? I'm wondering if this patch is designed to support PTW. It certainly looks that way.

Nuts- the server doesn't support .bmp. Sigh.. I'll convert and post it in the next one.

2. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon King

screenshot- attachment.

3. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon King

Lousy job on the cutting- sorry.

4. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

So what did it actually do? Did it give you future techs in the actual game?

5. Gastric ReFlux

Gastric ReFlux Dispatch our Tech Staff

Wow, it would take a long time to type in 1848 passwords.

6. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon King

That screen threw me for a loop, so I just took the screenshot, and quit. I'll have to play this evening and see if it does or not. I have to admit, it's ODD, with the password statement.

Gastric, I don't think it was asking for 1848 passwords. 1848 was the year... I'm just wondering what "Future Tech" means here... Maybe someone from Firaxis can come up with that?

7. Matt_G

Matt_G Curmedgeon in Training

I had some wierd graphics happen when I loaded the patch also. It was caused by having the 1.21 version of the No CD executable. I had copied it back into the folder after loading the patch because I don't want my original CD to get scratched. Didn't work. I have to use the CD now with thier .exe until a new no CD .exe comes out.

Could this be your problem??

8. sabo

sabo My Ancestors were Vikings

Future Techs is what you discover after you've discovered all the regular ones.

9. Carver

Carver King

Do you think this is part of a cheat mode?

10. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon King

Have no idea. Matt_g, I sent you a PM.

11. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon King

Sabo10, I know that! I'm questioning why it appeared on the load box and the fact that I was nowhere near "future tech" - at all. I was in the industrial age.. and still had the modern age to go through.

12. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon King

No. I think it is part of preparing for PTW x-pack. Software "hooks", perhaps?

13. gonzo_for_civ

gonzo_for_civ Chicken Walker Retired Moderator

Actually, I think it is preparing for PTW as several files reference MP. That is one @#@$@# up screen though :eek:

14. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon King

That's what I thought when I first saw it too. I wonder if someone from Firaxis can see this and comment on it?

15. Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

Dan Magaha FIRAXIS Firaxian

What it looks like you've got here is a situation where the game executable and the version of labels.txt do not match. The game loads labels in from that file, and from version to version new labels may be added or old ones deleted or changed, and when they get out of sync you get strange text like this.

Easiest approach is to do a fresh install of the game from the CD and then apply the 1.29f patch over it, that should solve your problems...

Dan

16. CivAgamemnon

CivAgamemnon King

Dan, that is exactly what happened. After I reinstalled the game, reapplied the 1.29 patch, everything worked fine. Thanks for responding. :goodjob:

17. Baron Scot

Baron Scot Minister of Slacking

how come when i posted my problems that guy didnt help me? i never got help, even before i became hostile towards them.

18. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

Baron Scot: it helps to put a cry for help addressed to them in the title - then they'll surely find the thread and they will do what they can.

19. Baron Scot

Baron Scot Minister of Slacking

its to late for that, i would just end up throwing pinapples at the guy.

i prolly tried that, but i give up on them