Odd City Locations

Discussion in 'Civ3 Conquests - Requests, Fixes, & Changes' started by G-Force Junkie, Jul 30, 2003.

?

Does this drive you nuts?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Old Vulcan Guy

It would be very nice if countries didn't let other countries send settlers through their country. It drives me nuts on world maps how Rome would heve territory on the Pacific Ocean with several countries between Rome the city in reference. Does this drive anyone else nuts?

2. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

I wouldn't want it banned outright, but the AI should be less allowing of Settlers passing thru its territory. Shouldn't be too hard to program; I figure you only need to treat each Settler as the equavelent of a minor horde of assault units for the purposes of border violations.

3. Quasar1011

Quasar1011 King of Sylvania

It already is a border violation in most cases. The AI tends to send its settlers through your territory along with a unit to protect it. It's this accompanying unit which should trigger the border violation.

4. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

It already does this. The problem is that the AI civs mostly ignore border violations from other civs. :(

5. WillJ

WillJ Coolness Connoisseur

What exactly is the problem? As long as they don't settle in someone else's territory (which they don't, AFAIK), it seems fine that they can pass through.

6. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy CheeseBob

Because people playing World maps don't want Siberia to be a checkerboard of cities from various European civs, for example.

Note: Adding Mongolia in PTW solved at least some of this.

7. WillJ

I don't care about world map players. :p (j/k, but still I'd never think of playing a WM)

I still don't think it's a problem. Settlers have passed through countries in the past, right? And if you don't like it, you can declare war on them. Now, the AI reacts differently, but can you really expect, in a game like this, for the AI civs to be how you'd like them to be? You can't really expect a custom Brazilian civ that you made sure started in the right locale to claim land as a "true" Brazil. (Just an example.) Maybe it's just me, but I don't like thinking of this game as a recreator of history in any way whatsoever. You'll just dissapoint yourself continuously. (Except maybe the Conquests conquests, which sound interesting...)

I can sorta see your point, but I think it'd ruin the game if a person's lands were settler-impassible without war. I guess it wouldn't hurt if the AI hated settlers in their territory more, though. If that's what you had in mind, mentally delete all that I said above.

8. Quasar1011

Quasar1011 King of Sylvania

Fine, WillJ. Since we are in the same city, I'm gonna pass through your yard and pitch a tent out back. :D

9. WillJ

:D

The difference in that comparison is that the AI is going through territory and settling outside of it. If you want to compare, pretend I live in a sorta rural area. So you come through my yard and pitch a tent out in the woods behind my property. Nothing wrong with that.

10. Highgeneral

Highgeneral Gone forever!

i think the border vilation is a declartion of war between the two countrys. no mader what unit they send.

11. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

What annoys me isn't odd city locations on world maps specifically, but in general. If an AI controls a subcontinent except for a few odd peninsulas or tundra areas, it shouldn't be happy with other AIs' Settlers slogging thru its territory and claiming them. It should throw the bloody furriners out, and settle those areas itself, at its leisure.

The point of having the Settler count as a minor horde of offensive units it that it would change the AI's behaviour towards it. The AI won't usually care about a Spearman and a Settler violating its territory, but a dozen Swordsmen will be told immediately to leave or declare war.

12. Ian Beale

Ian Beale YRH

i wish you could tell your opponents forces to get out of your territory immediately rather than having to wait for the "remove your forces or declare war" option to become available!