1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Odds of getting a leader

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by andy80, May 28, 2003.

1. andy80

andy80 Chieftain

Does anyone know what the chances of getting a leader after a victorious battle are?

2. MadScot

MadScot Brandy's back!

Sumthinelse did an excellent thread on everything you could want to know about leaders. It's referenced in the FAQ Thread.

IIRC, it's 1 in 16 before the Heroic Epic is built, 1 in 12 afterwards. Has to be a victory against a real unit - no barbs, workers or other trash.

3. ivory

ivory What 's the big picture?

You might have guessed it, this is a frequently asked question. And since this is the newest thread, the FAQ thread is right above it, along with answers!
    In there, you will find the basic info (the number 1/16). A more detailed treatise on leaders is Great Leaders: Everything you always wanted to know by Sumthinelse.

4. MadScot

MadScot Brandy's back!

Both Ivory and I have assumed you know it has to be a victory by an elite unit! :)

And I win! :):)

5. Grille

Grille panel insect

The 1:16 (and 1:12 w/ Heroic Epic) chances are true for units that attack. Chances are halved for units on defense.
    edit: chances are 0 if you actually have a GL (you can only have one at a time and must spend him to get another)

6. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Actually the FAQ thread was a little unclear about promotions and great leaders. Grille sent me more information on it a while ago, but I have neglected to update it...until now. I have reworded it, and it should now be clear.

-Sirp.

7. ivory

ivory What 's the big picture?

Wow MadScot, that never crossed my mind! A worrying sign of "playing on automatic".
    Some more info:
    - The elite unit that created the leader, cannot create another one. As of patch 1.29 this unit can be identified by an asterisk (*) after his name.
    - If you 're not sure if you already have a leader running around, press F3 and look in the box labeled "Available leader".
    - It is possible to get several leaders in one turn, as long as you race the leader to a city and use him up immediately.
    - The leader cannot be captured like workers or cannons, but he has no intrinsic defense and can be killed. If the enemy can choose between killing a leader and capturing an undefended town, he is likely to do the first.

Most of this can also be found in Sumthinelse's thread, but not all!

8. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Also keep in mind that the particular unit that created the GL has the GL creation flag removed when upgraded. That is to say, if your Spearman creates a GL, if/when it's upgraded to a Pikeman the unit has another chance to create a GL after being promoted to elite status.

Elite Spearman --> GL --> Upgrade to Pikeman (resets to Veteran Status) --> Successful win (Promotes to Elite) --> Can create another GL.

9. andy80

andy80 Chieftain

Thanks, i figured it was on the site somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

10. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

Since the search function is often turned off while we wait for the server upgrade, it can be quite difficult to find old threads/discussions. That is why the FAQ thread is such a useful tool. ;)

It doesn't take much effort to give the Table of Contents (first post in the thread) a quick check to see if the answer is there. If it's not, or you need more information than the answer there supplies, then ask away! :D

BTW, another useful thread is the Newbie Questions thread. Don't worry about reading through it - it can get quite large. just post your question and don't worry if it's been asked before. A lot of posters watch that thread, and will provide advice and explanations relatively quickly. Questions that start "What are the odds ...." and "How do I ...." are good candidates for the Newbie Question thread. ;)

Of course, there is no requirement to use either thread. they are provided for posters' use, and to help us keep the forum organized. :)

11. Vandervekken

Vandervekken Chieftain

Does anybody know if the chance is affected by the number of HP your victim has? I ask since my usual tactic is bombarding defenders to 1HP before attacking and I frequently destroy about a dozen cities before I get a GL.

- Yes I make sure I attack with Elite units.

:egypt: <- this is a cool smilie:cool:

12. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

Welcome to CFC, Vandervekken! :D

No, the *probability* is not affected, directly. However, if he has only 1 HP left, chances are you will emerge victorious. ;)

13. marceagleye

marceagleye Underground Economist

Don't forget that the chances of getting a great leader are increased by 25% (or is it 20%) if you are a militaristic civ.

14. Anti-EUA

Anti-EUA Prince

marceagleye - is that true? i thought it was only doubled to get through conscript to elite!

15. kring

kring Asst Cook & Bottle Washer

According to Mike of Firaxis being militaristic doesn't increase the odds of getting a Great Leader, only the odds of promoting a unit's status (Conscript-Regular-Veteran-Elite):

post #142

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22381&perpage=20&display=&pagenumber=8

And Post #4 from this post:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24371

16. marceagleye

marceagleye Underground Economist

Ok you're right about that... sorry for the misinformation it was indeed unit promotion I was confusing with an elite's chances of spawning a leader.