1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Odds that Obama ditches Biden as the VP?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dreadnought, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

It's been a hot topic in the news today.

Plus, who would replace Biden in that situation?

2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

0%.

But the replacement would have to be Hillary if he somehow did. (IMO)

3. bhsup

bhsup Deity

That would be unfortunate, honestly. FOr all his tendency to gaffe it up sometimes, Biden is a dedicated public servant and knows his stuff. Sure, I don't agree with him most of the time probably, but hell he's a Democrat. For a democrat, he's okay as Veep imho.

4. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

5 char

5. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Hot topic in the news? What news?

6. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Rumor mill crap. Pay it no mind.

7. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

It won't happen. Clinton's chance for 2016 is better as secretary of state through now and starting her campaign when she leaves the cabinet in 2013. It's certainly possible but I'd be surprised.

8. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

what's 5 char ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh it's the 5char limit thing so you just put that in there when you have nothing else to say...man i've been wondering that forever.

9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Is she really going to leave in 2013? That would suck, she's been a very good sec of state.

10. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

she'd be going out with a bang, though I suppose she could go for the Palistine-Israeli gold. Has that even been a thing lately? I bet the news just isn't mentioning it.

11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Yeah the news has been quiet on it. But there hasn't been much of substance AFAIK toward a solution since the Palestinians got denied a UN slot.

Basically, the right wingers in Israel are continuing to build settlements and push Palestinians off yet more land.

Hamas attacked some Egyptian border posts that caused the Egyptians to retaliate massively and shut down the cross-border tunnels.

Oh and now ultraconservative Jews will no longer be exempt from serving in the IDF.

Same old same old

12. bombshoo

bombshoo Never mind...

I don't see it happening. It would be basically be tacitly admitting that Biden was a bad choice for some reason. Obama doesn't want to give inclinations that anyone in his administration made a mistake.

If Biden did step down (let's say for health or personal reasons), I imagine Hillary would take it out of responsibility to the administration/party. If not Hillary, I'm not sure who it would be. Probably some Democratic senator or governor who polls well in the Midwest/Rust belt.

And the reason this was in the news was because Palin said Biden was a poor choice? Sure is a case of the pot calling the kettle black, huh?

13. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Biden was a great choice in 2008. Having him and Clinton switch jobs several months ago wouldn't have been a terrible idea, but now it would smell of desperation.

I believe that Clinton's political ambitions are done now.

14. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

that sounds highly unlikely to me.

out of interest: have there been instances of presidents dumping their VP for the reelection campaign?

15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

FDR? I think.

16. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

0%. If it somehow happened, I'd expect it to be Hillary.

Yeah, FDR had two different VPs, though I don't know the circumstances around it.

17. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

McGovern, as the challenger, dumped his VP in late September IIRC in 1972

18. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

And how'd that work for him?

Unless Biden is implicated in a goddamn enormous scandal soon, Obama will keep him. If circumstances arise where ditching Uncle Joe is prudent, the Obama campaign is done for anyway.

Abe Lincoln switched from Hannibal Hamlin to Andrew Johnson for the 1864 campaign. Totally different circumstances though.

19. BSmith1068

BSmith1068 Deity Retired Moderator

I don’t see Obama changing VPs before the election. No way. But I could see it happening a year or so into his second term, to bring in a contender for the top of the ticket in the 2016 election.

20. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Three: John Nance Garner for the first two terms, then Henry Wallace for the third term, Harry Truman was his third and final VP in his fourth term. Abraham Lincoln ran with Hannibal Hamlin during 1860 but went with Andrew Johnson in 1864. McKinley's first VP was Garret Hobart, but had to switch to Theodore Roosevelt in 1900 because Hobart died in office. Changing the VP slot was more common in the yesteryear than it is now.

EDIT: Okay, random got one of my examples before I scrolled down. :)