Odds that Obama ditches Biden as the VP?

I don’t see Obama changing VPs before the election. No way. But I could see it happening a year or so into his second term, to bring in a contender for the top of the ticket in the 2016 election.

I think the backlash against such a blatantly opportunistic move would cancel the intended affect entirely.

Plus, the Sec of State position is probably a better springboard for the presidency for a bunch of reasons.

Not if it was done early enough. People have a short memory. And let's face it, Biden is getting old. It's not that hard to imagine him stepping aside.

State is a good position for it, but I wouldn't discount the historical precedent that the VP is the next logical choice for a party's candidate.

Yeah, VPs don't usually change within a term unless there is a serious scandal that forces them to resign. The appointment also has to be verified by the Congress, which can cause some problems if the Republicans still control the House and possibly the Senate.

EDIT: Crosspost, the "yeah" refers to hobbsyoyo's post.

EDIT2: Historically, in the 19th century, the Cabinet was the springboard to the presidency--the secretaries got "promoted" to VPs, who were then "promoted" to the presidency. Nowadays, people look to the VPs as natural candidates.

Do the Democrats have a good looking, well educated, well traveled youngish female Governor/ Senator with big boobs who would take the eye of any red blooded male they could put in a VP ?

In other words do a Palin with a good looking woman with BRAINS.

It's been a hot topic in the news today.

Plus, who would replace Biden in that situation?
"Hot topic" on what reputable news provider?

Obama defends Biden on 'chains' comment

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is defending Vice President Joe Biden against criticism of his remarks that Republicans would put voters "back in chains."

Obama tells People magazine the remarks need to be seen in their regulatory context and gives his running mate a vote of confidence.

Obama says that the nature of modern campaigns is to blow up remarks into something they are not.

Biden made the comments Tuesday in Danville, Va., while saying that Republicans want to deregulate financial institutions – or, as Biden put it, to "`unchain Wall Street."

Hundreds of black people were in the audience when Biden added, "They're going to put y'all back in chains."

Obama says Biden had no other meaning in mind but that consumers won't be protected if Wall Street reforms are repealed.

Biden calls Romney, Ryan ‘decent, honorable’ at Va. event

The vice president later said that he had simply used the wrong word. Rather than unchained, he said, he meant unshackled. That word has been used by some Republicans to describe their approach to financial and regulatory reform, and Biden has used it in previous stump speeches, according to aides.

Romney, who according to the most recent Gallup poll trails Obama on likability by 30 points, has seized on Biden’s comments. He and his allies suggest that Obama is running a divisive campaign devoid of hope and fueled by hate.

In Ohio on Tuesday night, Romney challenged Obama: “Mr. President, take your campaign of division and anger and hate back to Chicago, and let us get about rebuilding and reuniting America.”
"Reuniting America". How hypocritical can Rmoney possibly get?

I think dumping Biden might seem desperate, but it'd probably pay off with the right pick.
It could also probably be explained as due to a "health" issue ("Joe tried out that P90X workout and suffered tachycardia during it; his doctor suggests he complete avoids stressful activity for a while.").

The main problem with such a switch would be the media conclusion that Ryan somehow won something from it. "Obama nervous about VP debate?" might be a headline.

I think the actual chance of it is about 10%. We'd be more likely to see a return of beach Obama, Obama girl, and maybe an Obama endorsement of exercise.
Spoiler :

"Reuniting America". How hypocritical can Rmoney possibly get?

Daily Show had another great segment on this from last night (the hypocrisy of Republican candidates/pundits talking about divisive language while using it), which I won't link to directly because I think it had some profanity, forum rules, etc.

I think dumping Biden might seem desperate, but it'd probably pay off with the right pick.
It could also probably be explained as due to a "health" issue ("Joe tried out that P90X workout and suffered tachycardia during it; his doctor suggests he complete avoids stressful activity for a while.").

The main problem with such a switch would be the media conclusion that Ryan somehow won something from it. "Obama nervous about VP debate?" might be a headline.

I think the actual chance of it is about 10%. We'd be more likely to see a return of beach Obama, Obama girl, and maybe an Obama endorsement of exercise.

One in a million chance. VPs don't come and go anymore, especially not over a comment like this. Now, if Biden was banging, like, 50 hookers while screaming racial slurs and promising them positions in the Cabinet but not in that way, it'd be different.

On McGovern's VP, he had Eagleton on the ticket for a couple weeks. The delegates/primary process was new at the time, many felt McGovern gamed the system to win. The focus was exclusively on the presidential side of the ticket, no attention was paid to the backgrounds of the people nominated for VP. Thomas Eagleton got the nomination, as it turns out he was undergoing electroshock therapy for depression, and he was dropped from the ticket.

After Bi-den destroys Ryen in the VP debate and Rmoney drops Ryen and selects Bi-den as his running mate, I could see O'bama maybe replacing Bi-den on the ticket.

After Bi-den destroys Ryen in the VP debate and Rmoney drops Ryen and selects Bi-den as his running mate, I could see O'bama maybe replacing Bi-den on the ticket.

Okay, I get the R-money but what's up with the rest of these spellings?

Well R-Yen should be obvious. Bi-den and O'Bama are probably just funny.

That's funny. I thought Ryen was more a play on lying.

Here is one such example:

Ryan doubles down on stimulus lie

Paul Ryan using his sincere look while he lies through his teeth.

But I guess that would be Ryin, as well as be subject to the usual "liberals are the real racists" argument which has become so popular with conservatives.

One in a million chance. VPs don't come and go anymore, especially not over a comment like this. Now, if Biden was banging, like, 50 hookers while screaming racial slurs and promising them positions in the Cabinet but not in that way, it'd be different.

Jenking Joe the Rap Artist!

He'd be better off not wasting his time on a trifling POTUS election, and start designing clothes and franchising clothes stores.

Do the Democrats have a good looking, well educated, well traveled youngish female Governor/ Senator with big boobs who would take the eye of any red blooded male they could put in a VP ?

In other words do a Palin with a good looking woman with BRAINS.

I may be giving the electorate too much credit, but I think they'd see through the cynicism of such a pick. There's no particular reason to have an eye-candy VP when sufficient material exists elsewhere.

Spoiler :
Unless her name is something like Robin Vice.

He's especially good Onion fodder. And I don't know why.

True that. Just describing him offering guitar lessons or being a lousy ebay seller or planning to jump the Vietnam memorial is intrinsically hilarious in a way that doesn't work with any other politicians.

Top Bottom