1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Odeons

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Swein Forkbeard, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Thyrwyn

Thyrwyn Guardian at the Gate

Why? The Romans appropriated the Greek gods & culture, why should the latin teacher not continue the tradition? :)

2. Legal_My_Deagle

Legal_My_Deagle Warlord

The Greeks are my favorite all-time civilization by far, and somewhere in my heart I have a grudge against the Romans for being the ones to finally conquer them....however I suppose if some civilization had to do it, then I am glad it was Rome...if only because they appreciated Greek culture and ideas so greatly. Spartan military tactics, Athenian philosophy and governmental structure ideas, and Greek religion and architecture in general. :)

3. LlamaCat

LlamaCat Emperor

the Roman Empire was composed of many races and regions of people, including the Greeks... there was no "Roman" race of people

4. Grimus

Grimus I

Darn... so then it MUST be wrong! Can you ask your Latin teacher what the meaning of life is for me? :goodjob:

5. Cato the Elder

Cato the Elder King

I dunno, I think that you during the height of the Roman people, you could count the people on the Italian mainland as a "Roman" race of people.

6. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

I've read that the "core" Roman people are a mix of Sabine, Etruscan, and Latin.

7. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

because she is not a Latin teacher, but a teacher of Latin ;)

Latin or Italic would be better maybe.

8. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Prince

well if you want to be 100% accurate then you should replace their UU with a Spartan, Phalanx was a formation and it spread across the globe as Alexander conquered it.

9. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Do a little research before you respond. Alexander declared WAR on the Greeks and then led an Army made of of many nationalities to "liberate" modern Turkey from the Persians. His conquest (for the glory of Pella, not Athens) did not stop there. Unfortunatelly, his empire was short lived and disintegrated into three separate kingdoms after he died.

Alexander is about as much Greek as Hitler was a Jew...oh yeah, Hitler's mother was Jewish. Maybe there is a good idea for a new leader.

10. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Macedonia is actually a separate country to the north of Greece, not a region of Greece. Look it up.

Modern Macedonia is just a name though. Ancient Macedonia was a distinct civilization separate from both the Greek and Illirian civilizations that neighbored them. Modern day Macedonia is more a mixture of Slavic, Greek, and Albanian influences than a reflection of its ancient past.

History is always written by the winners. After Alexander's death, the Greek writers of the time were more than happy to relate their civilization to his prowess since their culture, and not his dynasty, is what survived.

11. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

If you wanted to be 100% accurate, you'd call the unit Hoplite or Phalangist, as opposed to Spartans who were specifically from Sparta.

12. Dennis_Moore

Dennis_Moore Unholy Roman

No offence here, but if you do look it up you will notice that there is both FYR of Macedonia and the Greek province of Macedonia;) . Actually, ancient Macedonia corresponds geographically quite closely to the modern day Greek province (where both the old capitals of Pella and Aigai are located), while modern day FYRoM corresponds to the ancient land of the Paionians.

I guess, whether the ancient Macedonians were Greek or not, is mostly a matter of how you define "Greek".

13. Indiansmoke

Indiansmoke Deity

I think it is better if you did your research before saying all this!!!

Philipos, Alexander's father was the first to unite all the Greek city states (Athens, Sparta, Thebes etc) and give them the name Hellas, calling them Hellines.

Hellas is the name Greece still uses officially today. Greece is the name Turks gave Hellas during their occupation, and Greeks are forced to use it as no-one would understand the word Hellines.

Philipos was Greek (Hellinas), a Greek (Hellinas) with a vision to unite all Greeks (Hellines) and make a big nation.

Alexander, when Philipos was murdered and he took over, had the capital in Pella but he was the ruler of Hellas, Macedonia was his home province, a province of Hellas.

Now comming to the Macedonia point and addressing all the people in this forum that say Macedonia was not Greek (Helliniki).

Pella, the capital of Macedonia is today part of Hellas and has always been.

Alexander was the ruler of Hellas, a state that his father created, he spoke the same language, was tought by the same philosophers and belived in the same gods as people of Athens and Sparta did.

Yes, when Philipos and Alexander were at their pick, their empire included the area we today call FYROM. So what? It is like saying that part of Germmany is French because Napoleon occupied it.

14. Dennis_Moore

15. Indiansmoke

Indiansmoke Deity

I don't know why you find this link funny? I guess government propaganda is funny...

I can put up a web site myself saying that part of sweden is actually Danish!! and laugh my butt out...

16. Dennis_Moore

It is funny because I find the FYRoMians claim to be the descendands of Alexander so absurd, especially how some Fyromians make a point to say that they're not Slavic even though they speak a Slavic language. However, that kind of nationalist propaganda would not be so funny if it came from a country with a significant military might (as history would teach us).

As for that second part - link please.....

17. Indiansmoke

Indiansmoke Deity

I agree...however that propaganda is backed by other countries that have a military might.

As for the second part, of course there is no link, it was just a way of saying it is not funny.

18. Dennis_Moore

I thought as much.......However, you are welcome to explain your choice of analogy.

19. Indiansmoke

Indiansmoke Deity

There is no analogy...It was a random pick

20. Dennis_Moore

Perhaps the pick was random, but that doesn't make it any less of an analogy. However, since I asked you to explain your choice of analogy and not the analogy itself, I suppose I should consider your answer sufficient.