"OEM" version of Windows XP?

Riesstiu IV

Deity
What is the OEM version of Windows XP? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102059

I own a MacBook Pro but I need to install XP using Apple's Bootcamp system in order to run design and engineering software related to my degree. After searching on several sites, I have seen many, many versions of XP.

A standard home addition bundle costs around $200. This "OEM" version costs $90. I've heard the OEM versions have reduced functionality but is it enough to run any software?

Please help because I'm a little confused with so many versions of XP and varying price ranges.

The only real difference in the OEM version is that you can't get support from MS - they'll look at your product key and tell you to talk to the vendor you got it from (think it was from Dell, HP, the like). 'Course in about 12 years of using Windows I've tried to contact MS once about home stuff, which is how I found that out. ;) All of my copies are OEM.

XP Home is the reduced functionality version. You'd probably be fine with it, as it's a bit cheaper.

In the computer world the OEMs are Dell, HP, IBM, etc... basically all of the companies that sell prebuilt computers. OEM software is meant to be used by them, it used to the kind of stuff labelled "only for sale with a new PC", as opposed to retail software that you see on store shelves. Luckily for us that definition got expanded to "only for sale with hardware." So, for example, when you buy an OEM copy of windows now at Newegg, a $2 molex "Y" cable is automatically added to your cart, along with a $2 rebate. ;)

Top Bottom