1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Office of the Ambassadorship to Apolyton

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Donovan Zoi, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Welcome to the Ambassadorship to Apolyton!

Here you will find all correspondences with our ally both by email and chat log. If there is anything you would like me to discuss with Apolyton please let me know here. :)

In the future, I will edit this post to include updated information about our ally. Such things will include current government, number of troops, current tech research etc. Once again, please feel free to request of this office anything you would like to see in the first post.

2. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Yesterday I got a chance to speak with Consul Trip not once but twice. While the first meeting was more of an introduction, our second chat got a bit more in depth. Also, I had to leave early during the first chat although President GBM was present and discussing at length a gold-for-tech research plan(more on that in a moment). I would be quite interested in the chatlog for that conversation, and I hope that CivGeneral logged the entire first chat per my request.

Here is the second chat:

3. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Chat segment #1

I used our discussion of a possible resource trade to bring up the situation of our land agreement. Apparently, Trip is of the impression that Poly will abandon Equilibrium so that we may settle our city on the tile due west of it. He actually seems surprised that we haven't commissioned a settler up that way yet.

I also got the skinny on the two Medieval Infantry, which were to guard their Silk colony. He countered by stating that the had a similar concern about our Swordsman being so close to the colony. I am willing to write the whole thing off as a misunderstanding for now.

4. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

And here is the conversation about the gold for tech agreement. While doing this will greatly enhance our tech acquisition(Poly estimates an 8-10 turn turnaround for tech research), the plan as stated will drastically cut into our gpt. I personally want to see the numbers we reach once we become a Republic.

This plan would also be used to assist CGN, as Poly will trade them the tech(for gold presumably). The idea is to get Gunpowder for CGN as soon as possible.

5. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Other info I had gathered from the first chat:

1. Apolyton is currently researching Invention and will have it in 7-8 turns.

2. According to Trip, Poly has around 80 military units, as opposed to our 30-35.

I will post more as the information becomes available. I will also PM CivGeneral to see if he has a copy of the first chat.

6. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

Now I get some security qualms! They have 80 military units and they want a city and FORTRESSES east of our chokepoint-city?!

7. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Yes, they're acting a bit weird on some points IMO. Really weird. Odd.

But, mostly, it sounds fair enough to me. :)

8. TheDuckOfFlanders

TheDuckOfFlanders the fish collecter

I don't like it that much ,Apolyton is more and more making us their sattelite.When we would use most of our GDp to invest in Apolyton tech research in combination with trade then we would be very dependant on Apolyton for our tech.In case of conflict we would be helpless.

Besides ,what is our guarantee that Apolyton doesn't use a unnoticable amount of it's GDP and our shared one to upgrade a number of units?

A big part of our problem is territory size ,we could be a very good equal partner of Apolyton if we would be allowed more space to expand to ,deffinatly in the BoP area.We can get more efficiancy from that land as our capital is closer to it.
    We also lack settlers to fastly settle land ,so it would be better if we could get some of those Poly city's at our border with an agreement rather than to have to settle them ourselfs wich takes time.

Maybe people would think i'm to Paranoid about Apolyton ,but while they are talking with us on a most friendly tone ,their size compared to us and the possible threat they make is dangerous for us.We need more guarantations that this alliance wil last on an equal basis.

But while Apolyton may be stronger than us ,they are dwarfed by the superpowers GWT and CGN.In the end they need us if they want to survive against these country's in the long term.

But the war in the west is a very dangerous thing.If one of the 2 superpowers ,GWT or CGN would ever get supremacy on their continent then they are ready to be masters of the world.A devided west is crucial for Poly and CFC.But it's also more important for Fanatikou to have stronger diplomatic power with this country's than Apolyton.

9. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

They have concerns just like we do, Cheetah. But unfortunately the terms of our alliance force us to show our hand regarding troop size. Knowing their amount of troops is a good thing, while us having to disclose our troop size puts us at a disadvantage.

My job as ambassador will be to keep our relationship as cordial as possible while we figure out how we are going to beef up our number of troops and cities. And at this time there is need for improvement everywhere, with limited resources to accomplish any set goals.

This is why I would recommend an immediate settlement initiative while we are on good terms. More cities will lead to more options. I would then recommend that we devote our high-production cities exclusively to Riders.

10. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

DoF, you may have no idea how much you and I agree on this situation. I have the exact same concerns as you do. Keep in mind that Apolyton will most likely receive gold or tech from CGN for their research as well. They also claimed that they will need our gpt as they will researching at a loss to get the techs faster.

However, I am unsure of what else we can do here so I am open to suggestions. We won't really know until we see our numbers coming out of Republic.

That is never going to happen. Bringing this up will only harm relations, which will detract from any expansion plans. We should actually be fortunate that they are granting us the land west of the chokepoints because we are certainly in no position to claim it all yet.

I think that one thing we need to realize is that much of our current situation is of our own doing. Until recently, we had gone through most of the game with only two workers and we are an Industrious civ! Because of this, I think we can continue to see Apolyton bargain from a position of strength. We just need to stay cordial so that we can work to claim what has already been granted to us.

You are absolutely correct, and should our relations sour I will make this very clear to our allies. The main question is:

What are we more afraid of? If the tables turn to one side in the west, the game is all but over. But if our relations sour, with Apolyton, we are over.

That said, we need to check our demands until we can at least bargain from a position of equality. And that is quite some time away. :(

Well, we have alot of work to do, gentlemen. I suggest we get right to it.

11. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

Alright. We'll settle for the land we have now.

1. We must build workers to develop our land.
    2. We must build settlers to settle our land.
    3. We must build riders to protect our land.

When this is accomplished, we could start making stronger demands...

12. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

I don't like what Poly is doing, but we can't do anything about t now. Actually, if we bring it up, it may end up with them just claiming more territory or worse.

13. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

I think we should be ok with the land we get and build it good first, then we can see what to do...

14. Yndy

Yndy Chieftain

We need to ask Poly to provide an F1 view of their economy so that we can get an idea of their scientific expenses. I think 30-35 gpt would be enough for them to research at full speed and pay us the tech. However they would not invest more than another 50 gpt into research.

I understand that they spend 80gpt to maintain all those units but we should not be paying for that. We could also tell them that we need some money to rush-build some marketplaces and thus can only pay them 20 gpt in the first 20 turns. We would then pay them 35 gpt.

Tell them that this is of course for the mutual benefit, us having more marketplaces = more funding to Poly.

15. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Great thinking Yndy

16. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

I like that idea as well, Yndy. I am planning on having a very constructive chat with Apolyton once we reach Republic, but I think that we may want to mention this aspect to them now.

Of course, we really need to determine what is highest on the priority list. If we throw Marketplaces in with our absolute need of Workers, Settlers and Riders, the we most likely won't know where to start.

I would like to have us start with a wave of workers from almost all of our cities, along with Settlers from our largest ones. Then as we built new cities, we could switch our highest production core cities to Riders or Markets depending on happiness and a few other factors. Because of its Flood Plains, Yun Qiuling should build only Workers and Settlers and should eventually be able to handle this task almost single-handedly once we build up our empire.

Thanks for your input. :)

17. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

I suport what Yndy said. :)

18. Yndy

Yndy Chieftain

Agree DZ, we should only tell Poly we need cash for marketplaces and delay the actual building of them for a while. They would be in the queue someplace after workers, settlers and some riders.

19. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

Yndy, that was a great proposal. I agree that a little deception (that Apolyton probally would not catch) is fine, because they haven't been completely honsest with us.

20. croxis

croxis Chat room op

Poly chat this friday at 10 GMT. DO NOT PLAY THE SAVE UNTIL WE CHAT WITH POLY. They want to know how much gpt we can give them. I will post this in the turn thread as well.